Hoping for 11's. Will spray be enough?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Your going to throw a 150 shot through a Stock clutch and make repeated passes and expect it to hold. The Stock Tranny and clutch are only rated to withstand 285-300lbft of torque. Your not only adding HP your also throwing Torque into the equation. Your going to drive it like you stole it to get it to the 11's. Thus which probably have to entail power shifting and with that much i don't think it will hold. Try it out and let us know.

Kris said:
Hey everyone. I'm getting prepared for next season, I'm pretty anxious. I have a 94GT with a 95 Cobra motor. This car has impressed me alot.

I bought it completely stock, but since then, I've done some mods and been to the track.

Last season the cars best was a 13.14 @ 103.49 mph with a 1.80 60ft. I also had many 13.20 back up passes. It seems like the car wont 60ft, which what I need to work on.

I have a single stage nitrous kit that I'm going to use next season, I'd like to spray a 150 shot, but I don't want to break anything. I'm thinking about spraying post launch, so I won't break something as easily.

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
All I can do is try I guess. Ill start with a 100 shot and won't be hot lapping lol. Its going to break eventually.

got5.0

Reaction score
so you're saying you are willing to repair a transmission/ possible engine damage but won't do control arms?? Doesn't make sense, but whatever. I say go for it and see what you get and then tell us.

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
Engine damage? How so.

I have a C4 if the trans goes. only has a manual valve body and id need to get a bunch of stuff to get it workin but its a spare.

I'm already impressed with the car with as little mods as it had last season going low 13s and hasn't given me a bit of trouble.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
Keep in mind that nitrous is not what it used to be price wise. I have no idea what it costs around you but here it's ~$50 for a 10lb bottle. 150 shot will give you 4 full passes.

As far as control arms go, it's your car. I am not gonna judge you based on your decisions...your money mang. I can tell you your times will change quite a bit.

Just for sh1ts an giggles...here is a dirt cheap set of control arms that will do wonders over stock ones. Stock arms flex more than a street whore on a friday night.

Flex = a lot less weight on rear tires.

Mustang Complete Rear Control Arm Kit (79-98) $169 shipped.

Improves Traction. Drag racers know if you can't "hook up" at the track you are going nowhere fast. But with the Mustang Complete Rear Control Arm Kit you will greatly improve traction and decrease your 60ft. times.

Quality Construction. Both the upper and lower control arms are crafted from round tubular steel for extra strength and to reduce control arm flex.

The Mustang Rear Control Arm Kit comes complete with both upper and lower control arms and is designed for use on the 1979 to 1998 Ford Mustang.

mustangtuning_2087_1222187842

http://www.americanmuscle.com/rear-control-kit-7998.html

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
Ill try to find some used ones. That's expensive compared to what I've spent so far.

Ok, so if I drop my 60 a tenth from these to a 1.70, its only gonna drop my et 2 tenths.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
Depends on the driver etc. I know you probably don't like to dear it but seriously....you gotta find out at the track. If it is a difference of 2/10 imagine it being a pass of 12.00 and 11.80

Big difference when you're trying to get to an 11 sec pass.

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
This is true, but I wish they weren't so pricey lol.

Doesn't matter anyway because what I have isn't enough and my car will break down. Although, there are tons of guys here doing it in fox bodies. Yes they weigh a tad less but I have s smidge more power

Oh, and nitro is 3.50/lb here.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
Kris said:
This is true, but I wish they weren't so pricey lol.

Doesn't matter anyway because what I have isn't enough and my car will break down. Although, there are tons of guys here doing it in fox bodies. Yes they weigh a tad less but I have s smidge more power

Oh, and nitro is 3.50/lb here.

Why is your car going to break down? Did I miss something?

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
Yes, red some of the previous responces. I have faith in my car. Its a love-hate relationship lol.

blackpony

Reaction score
Kris said:
Hey everyone. I'm getting prepared for next season, I'm pretty anxious. I have a 94GT with a 95 Cobra motor. This car has impressed me alot.

I bought it completely stock, but since then, I've done some mods and been to the track.

Last season the cars best was a 13.14 @ 103.49 mph with a 1.80 60ft. I also had many 13.20 back up passes. It seems like the car wont 60ft, which what I need to work on.

Here's the current mods list, other than it being a stock T5 and the Cobra motor.
Underdrive pullies, Motive 4.10's, FMS aluminum driveshaft, Steeda Tri Ax, Drag Lites on all 4 corners with ET Fronts and ET Streets (I ran a 26" tall tire last season, I'll be on a 28" this coming season), BBK Long tubes, BBK O/R X pipe, MAC pro dumps, cold air intake, Eibach drag launch springs (bag removed), Strange 10 ways in the rear (stock fronts), walbro 255lph, and I think thats it.

I have a single stage nitrous kit that I'm going to use next season, I'd like to spray a 150 shot, but I don't want to break anything. I'm thinking about spraying post launch, so I won't break something as easily. I know the trans and axles are weak points on these cars.

Will this be enough to put me into the 11's?
I really hope so. With taller tires and spray, I should MPH alot more, and hopefully the 60ft will drop to at least a 1.7X.

Thanks for any and all input everyone!

That setup will easily get you into the 11's.... i have gt-40 heads, steeda 19 cam and 90 shot with 3.73 gears and slicks, ran a 12.2 with a 1.9 short time, but at 116 mph... i had enough momentinum to run 11's but couldnt get the car to leave... with another 50 hp shot and a good short time, you will easily be into the 11's.... when my car was stock, had nothing more then a 150 shot, 3.73 gears, slicks and full exhaust, it ran 12.46 at 108 mph....

LAFENATU

Reaction score
Kris said:
Yes, red some of the previous responces. I have faith in my car. Its a love-hate relationship lol.

Hey man, if it breaks it breaks...I don't think it should have a problem. I know a lot of people that are using an NX 150 shot with no issues.

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
Thank you black pony and lafenatu.

Black pony, any head work done or just stock heads like the ones my cobra motor came with? I have no idea what my car will trap not with taller tires and a lot more power. Its just a big guess for me as of now. Did you spray on the launch, or post launch? I'm going to stat with a 75 shot to practice with.

Lafenatu. That's my thoughts exactly. I use to own a supra. I know how to break parts and replace them with better stuff haha. This car is sooo much more reliable though. Parts are dirty cheap and abundant. I just hope the trans holds up.

I've heard that the stock hyper pistons on 93-95 5.0s don't hold up well to power like the forged pistons in previous year. How much power can out engines handle?

I'm having a well respected shop do the install, tune, timing, plus, all that good stuff. I'm actually considering a wideband.

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
Also, is the crane cam a roller cam? What's the specs? Id look but I'm posting from my phone (yuck).

Model number?

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
Sorry for all the posts but I just read that the Ecam is the crane 2040. Wouldn't that be a smidge better than the crane 2031?

Also, I read that the timing on 94/95s changes back at higher rpm's. How can I bypass this? My timing is set at 13* right now.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
The stock Hyperutectic pistons are decent, there is much worse out there. They will take power but it is all in the tune. Modo who posts on here made 560 and ran that consistantly for a few years on Hypers. Again, a good tune with no detonation and you should be ok. As far as how much power our engines can handle, the weak link is the block. The stock crank and rods will outlast the block. Safely I would not go past 475-500.

Yes, the Crane 2040 and 2031 are hydraulic rollers, that is the kind of cam the small block 302 runs that is in your car.

The 2031 is a better cam than the 2040. It pushes more on the exhaust side and has a much better lobe seperation and was originally designed around the GT40 intake/heads. The crane 2031 camshaft part number is 444225, it is designed to work with 1.7 Rockers which you have. If that is the cam you want I would start looking around for one because as of now crane is out of buisness, so they are getting hard to find.

The stock tune in the PCM is designed to pull timing at higher RPM's to be safe. If you want to be able to change that you're going to have to tune it with a chip/stand alone etc.

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
Meh, the guy who's doing my tune said that investing money into gt40 stuff is a waste. He said to save a little cash and get some nice heads and a cam. He said my stock gt40 heads will sell for about $400 on ebay.

castine917

Reaction score
did you say those control arms are expensive then say parts for your car are cheap and plentiful a few posts later?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online