Horse Power ?

firestuds1

Reaction score
How much Horse Power do you think I would get out of Hooker full length headers, BBK off road x pipe with SLP LM1's on Side Exit Exhaust, and BBK Underdrive pulleys, BBK Cold Air Intake? Jus wondering how much horsepower/ torque I would gain? and would all those be good for the prices?

EThorpe

Reaction score
:dunno: Always depends on the new "Tune" really, also engine condition determans overall power gain(Compression ect...).

25-50hp?

wopony98

Reaction score
Tune is really irrelevant. The Cobra's come tuned almost perfectly. My buddy had a 97 Cobra and my 98 Cobra and put 4 different chips on them. From SCT to Jet, To Diablo. The most I saw at the rear was 3hp. I would tell you to forget the LT and go with Mid-length. You will get the same power numbers (slightly lower but not much 1-3hp) and you don't have the issues in the future if you need to change your transmission. As far as gains. I saw 12rwhp gain with my headers alone. I would say Firestuds1 is on it. 25-50hp at the fly. 15-25rwhp. Good luck and let us know.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well I'll be able to tell you in a week or so when I get mine run on the dyno and tuned :banana: :banana:, the mods your asking about is what I have on my Cobra just not the same makers............BBK long-tubes / X-pipe / (will have SLP exhaust) / Pulleys / and a JLT coldair kit. This is a very common set-up on the 4 valve cars and usualy gives around 50hp at the tires after it has been tuned.

97cobrasvt

Reaction score
on my cobra I installed the BBK long tube headers and BBK X pipe with ultra flows and yes the long tubes are a little difficult to install and if the tranny goes by by on your car you will have to pull one of the headers off or do like I did and cut the bell housing in pieces and install a TKO that way the bellhousing can be seperated from the gear box and you will not have to worry about the headers anymore BTW I love the sound of my longtubes over every other mustang that has shortys or midlengths just my 2cents

venoNOS

Reaction score
Yes.... You will love the long tubes. Remember, Every bolt on that you put on will all come together when you have it tuned. A lot of people and I mean a lot think that when they buy a bolt on its gonna change the car immediately. Its not. To actually benefit from bolt ons you need to have it tuned like your doing. The computer in these cars still think its in stock form and until you remap everything on a dyno, Timing,air/fuel,etc its gonna stay stock. Purchase every bolt on available and then have it tuned on a dyno. I know your gonna love it. I had mine tuned this past April and it pulled a modest 298rwhp and 292rwtq. Just with my bolt ons I pulled a 278rwhp-271rwtq. As soon as I pulled away from Pro-Dyno in Charlotte I lit the rear tires up and banged every gear and the car came TO LIFE! ;D

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
longtubes sound great, not much gain NA,
more gain from the x and catback. hard to say how much
other supporting mods / tune also add some to the mix.

digdugdaddy

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put the Bassani Mid-lengths on mine as well w/Steeda pullies so I'll let you know.

I researched the LT's for a LONG time before I finally decided. The pro's would be the better sound and minimal hp gains over the Bassani's. The con's were just too much for me. Less ground clearance, harder to fit with a stock K-member, slip-fit connectors that always seem to leak on the Hooker's and Flowtech's, with BBK's you have to pull a header to drop the tranny, a bitch to ever replace the starter, and general fitment issues. This is the reason I went with Bassani's. Fitment is awesome, quality is great, and price is right in line with other setups.

Are the BBK pullies the piggyback style? If so, I would steer clear from them. There are also far better kits for the same money than the BBK CAI. Unless you get a phenomonal discount on BBK products, look around some more.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
i was thnkin about gettin the bbk long tubes but im not quite sure.. snakebit says he loves his but he has a 99 cobra, i have a 98. i dont mind taking a header out to get my tranny out if i ever need it. i like to spend time on my car so i dont mind the extra time it would require.

and also, i dont know much about the tuning aspects of cars but will you lose driveability with just bolt on parts if you dont get it tuned? because i know tuning it can be expensive and i dont want to have to do that after ever bolt on i get.

digdugdaddy

Reaction score
No, you don't need to worry about constant tuning with your '98. It's not like the newer motor/cars. It certainly doesn't hurt, but I would wait until you had a lot or the majority of the bolt-ons you want first.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think mid lengths are best.
one factor with long tubes, is if your car's lowered you're gonna scrape.

blackfang

Reaction score
Stay away froim the Under drive pullies. Not worth the potential damage they have been known to cause.

Downshift

Reaction score
blackfang said:
Stay away froim the Under drive pullies. Not worth the potential damage they have been known to cause.

Not calling you out here, but like what? I havnt heard of any just curious?

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Improper installation has been know to cause motor damage on a few 4v motors, and probably the same to 2v's as well.

blackfang

Reaction score
Al Papito, who is one of if not the top Modular engine builder out there(has built numerous FFW/NMRA engines) has seen 9 failures including his own, Ed Olin, Bob Cosby, Nazman, and john Mihovetz will Agree that they arent worth the trouble they cause.

Even correctly installed they can chew up the stock oil pump gears and ruin the motor. Almost happened to Bob cosby, but his billet gears is what saved it. 9 engine failures is enough for me to not get them.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had some UD's years back, took them off.
It would make the lights dim at an idle, didn't like em.
I guess you could oversize the alternator pulley to compensate, but if ppl are haveing problems, I'd stay away.

digdugdaddy

Reaction score
The altenator pulley would be oversized, you would need to undersize to get better charging. Smaller pulley=faster spinning=more charging.

The BBK LT's quality is fine, it just having to remove them for the tranny/clutch that scared me. You make it sound like its an easy job to do that on one of these motors. I would pass on them and go with the Bassani's, but thats just my opinion and everyone has their own.

blackfang

Reaction score
I didn't go with BBK nor Mac for LT's because of the transmission issue and Mac mainly because of their quality problems that have happened.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
digdugdaddy said:
The altenator pulley would be oversized, you would need to undersize to get better charging. Smaller pulley=faster spinning=more charging.

The BBK LT's quality is fine, it just having to remove them for the tranny/clutch that scared me. You make it sound like its an easy job to do that on one of these motors. I would pass on them and go with the Bassani's, but thats just my opinion and everyone has their own.

Yes, undersized. that's what I meant, thanks.

I agree, mid lengths are much better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online