How can I get my gauges to work (EFI to Carb)

red9535

Reaction score
I bought a 95 Mustang that origionally had a 3.8 EFI V6 in it.. but the guy swapped a carb'd 5.0 HO V8 into it. Well, the gauges don't work (except for the voltmeter and I believe the gas gauge?).. Where do those gauges read off of? Did tehy go through the PCM.. and in that case, how do I get them to work.. and if they didn't.. waht do they read off of? Because the car didn't have any of the trans sensors connected when I got it.. would that be the speedometer/RPM?

Help!

95PGTTech

Reaction score
I would get a carb cluster and wire it how the carb'd car would have originally come, because even if you can wire the sensors to the cluster, it's likely they will read wrong (different sensor outputs, ranges, voltages, resistances, you get the point).

for example, the engine temp gauge on a carb'd cluster might be looking for a 10ohm-100ohm resistance output from the coolant temp sensor, while a fuel injected cluster might be set up to read a 1ohm - 10ohm sensor output. So you'd wire the sensor into the wrong cluster and it would be constantly pinged on hot for example.

You could also take the sensors off a fuel injected motor, hope they work or make them work (adapters if different thread pitches, etc.), and wire them to the cluster yourself, but that would take quite a bit of understanding of how the systems work, some large balls, and a huge pain in the ass.

or you could just buy a whole set of autometer gauges, make/buy an instrument panel, and wire them up as per instructions.

or you could just convert it to fuel injection and save yourself a lot of time and money. O0

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
or you could just convert it to fuel injection and save yourself a lot of time and money. O0

:dance: :bunny3: :boink:

OP
OP
R

red9535

Reaction score
I've strongly considered it.. but I think i'll be sticking to carb, for now :)

Just trying to get my cluster working!

The Green GT

Reaction score
You wont regret going to FI.

And like Ive said, it wont be nearly as hard as you think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Staff online

Members online