How can I lower inside resonance???

TheLynchMob

Reaction score
I need to quiet down a tad and definitely lower the inside resonance of my car. Was hoping for inexpensive suggestions without replacing mufflers???

5.0L
- BBK short tube headers
- off road H pipe (no cats)
- Flowmaster cat back (40 series)

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I need to quiet down a tad and definitely lower the inside resonance of my car. Was hoping for inexpensive suggestions without replacing mufflers???

5.0L
- BBK short tube headers
- off road H pipe (no cats)
- Flowmaster cat back (40 series)

My brother, you have the trademark "five point ohh" exhaust setup!! They don't call them drone-masters for nothing!! Spend a ton of money on sound dampening materials or add catalytic converters. Not many options with Flowdisasters.

OP
OP
T

TheLynchMob

Reaction score
In what scenario? 55mph drone? exhaust note in general? What do you want?

Well, at 70MPH (what I cruise going to work) it's pretty ridiculous. Hard to hear stereo or make a phone call.

Also, it's deep and throaty, but WAY too loud....to the point where when I decide to run it hard I usually don't run it above 3k RPM because it so loud and sounds like it's double that.

This is my first mustang and I'll tell you what I'm looking for mainly. I have a 98 Z71 with a 5.7l and I love how it sounds. Deep, throaty, no popping or rasp, and louder than my mustang with very little inside drone. It's running no cats, true dual, xpipe, magna flow xl's, and 4 inch tips.

OP
OP
T

TheLynchMob

Reaction score
My brother, you have the trademark "five point ohh" exhaust setup!! They don't call them drone-masters for nothing!! Spend a ton of money on sound dampening materials or add catalytic converters. Not many options with Flowdisasters.

Well, sound dampening material is a pain and not cheap either. And cats are expensive too. Do you think resonators in front of the mufflers where the cats were would help any? Also I discovered today that the tail pipes are 3 inch while the rest is 2.5 inch.....tailpipe size matter when it comes to sound?

I thought about replacing the flow masters with thrush welded mufflers (which I liked on my other vehicle)....if you think they would have less drone than the flow's.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Switch to magnaflow chambered mufflers and watch your drone go away. They will be significantly quieter than your flow master setup, but it sounds so much better.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Arent thrush welded a reverse engineered flowmaster original 40? Id get either 3 chamber mufflers, magaflow chambered mufflers, or borla stingers. Ive had flowmaster 40s and 44's and both had that loud ass drone at highway speeds but it doesnt bother me. I now run m80s on my 02 and 07 and theyre tame until you hammer it. Good luck!

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Arent thrush welded a reverse engineered flowmaster original 40? Id get either 3 chamber mufflers, magaflow chambered mufflers, or borla stingers. Ive had flowmaster 40s and 44's and both had that loud ass drone at highway speeds but it doesnt bother me. I now run m80s on my 02 and 07 and theyre tame until you hammer it. Good luck!

When I daily'd mine I drove 75 miles 1 way to work every day. I started with flowmaster 40's, then went to slp loudmouth, then wised up and went to the chambered magnaflow's. By far the best decision I made.

lutter94

Reaction score
Buy Cherry Bomb vortex. No one else promotes them, because no one else has heard them. Great sound when you get on it, but never annoying in cabin. I have the O/R prochamber and long tubes too. Its a chambered muffler with glass in the sides. Looks normal on the outside. AND you won't sound exactly like every other Mustang out there ;)

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
The infamous Dronemasters. Every Mustang I've been in with Flow 40s has that awful drone. I have Borla stinger s types, offroad H and longtubes. Mine doesn't really drone. Resonators won't do much because you have no cats. Regular mufflers from Magnaflow would help.

OP
OP
T

TheLynchMob

Reaction score
Switch to magnaflow chambered mufflers and watch your drone go away. They will be significantly quieter than your flow master setup, but it sounds so much better.

I thought about it, but from youtube clips they don't seem to sound good on the 5.0's, and have popping galore. You know of a sound clip with a no cat setup that sounds good?

OP
OP
T

TheLynchMob

Reaction score
Buy Cherry Bomb vortex. No one else promotes them, because no one else has heard them. Great sound when you get on it, but never annoying in cabin. I have the O/R prochamber and long tubes too. Its a chambered muffler with glass in the sides. Looks normal on the outside. AND you won't sound exactly like every other Mustang out there ;)

Any sound clips?

lutter94

Reaction score
[video=youtube;O78CYWTade8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O78CYWTade8[/video]

This is pretty similar, but he didn't rev up very high for the exterior

07GtS197

Reaction score
When I daily'd mine I drove 75 miles 1 way to work every day. I started with flowmaster 40's, then went to slp loudmouth, then wised up and went to the chambered magnaflow's. By far the best decision I made.

You sir must be deaf now lol. Ive never been a fan of magnaflows but they are probably the tamest muffler for our cars.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I thought about it, but from youtube clips they don't seem to sound good on the 5.0's, and have popping galore. You know of a sound clip with a no cat setup that sounds good?

Mine is modular and I dont have a video that is very good. The mufflers I had did not crackle at all. It was a very smooth deep sound that they produced.

You sir must be deaf now lol. Ive never been a fan of magnaflows but they are probably the tamest muffler for our cars.

I pretty much am deaf, (jokingly, not literally) between the military and this noisy ass car I had lol. I was very happy to go tame with the setup.

lutter94

Reaction score
Here's an interior video, crappy I know, but hey its a start. Need to get some outside vid's taken sometime.

Mac LT's
Mac ProChamber
Cherry Bomb Vortex Cat Back

[video]http://vid140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/j_lutter31/In%20Car_zpspsvq8dle.mp4[/video]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online