How cheap to build own block?

caseypayne69

Reaction score
I'd scanned many companies now that offer short and long block for the 4.6. I'm manly interested in the big bore versions my self. VTengines offers a short block for $3999. and a Long block for $9500. Using billet this, aluminum that, and forged items. Now, my 96 GT will never see boost, or the juice. What kind of parts, barely above better then stock, can I use? and how much cheaper is it to buy all the parts and just install your self? What specialty tools would be needed? If I had the knowledge, i'd build my own big bore block, with a bit better then stock parts. I just need the know how.

Spyder

Reaction score
Well, if all you want is a nasty N/A combo i would say a big bore for sure. But before you start asking what special tools and what not, do you have anyway to get the block out of the engine bay? If you dont have some sort of hoist, its gonna be a nasty bitch.

If you go big bore you gonna be having a machine shop bore it out, so you might as well have them assemble the new stuff too, save you some time and money.

I would say have a bunch of regular hand tools like wrenches, sockets, extensions, all that shit.
An air impact would be very very helpfull too.
Your gonna need a pulley puller to get off the harmonic balancer/crank pulley.
And im sure there is a ton of other stuff too.

check this thread, it wil show you a little bit on how it comes aparts. Me and Dalamare ripped his motor out a little while ago.

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1845.0

Im sure the modular guys will come and chime in with what parts to get

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well unless you have access to some talented modular machinest then building a big bore by yourself won't happen . You need an aluminum block and that must be bored and re-sleeved etc etc and only a hand full of companies can do it right.

As far as building your own shortblock do you know how to stretch rod bolts and install file fit rings etc etc etc..seriously it is much easier to buy a forged shortblock from VT if you don't know what your doing. In the end you don't really save much money if you factor in local machine shop charges ie: balancing/honing etc. Most companies only make 200-300 dollars profit on a modular shortblock thats one of the reasons Modular Powerhouse no longer does it.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Looks like Modular performance makes the cheapest big bore short block at 4,050 bucks. And Lake Fox lake has the nicest stage 2 heads.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
caseypayne69 said:
Looks like Modular performance makes the cheapest big bore short block at 4,050 bucks. And Lake Fox lake has the nicest stage 2 heads.

Modular Performance is a great shop. The Tymesky brothers really know their stuff.
Check out Modular Powerhouse if you want to get the most out of your heads. They have a stage 2.5 and a full race stage 3 PI head.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Oh im a year away from my degree. So I got time to think about it. THough you mentioned stage 3 heads. Are those streetable? even If i use comp cams 270.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if your gonna spend money on a possible big bore and P&P'd heads then order up a set of custom grind cams. I prefer the VT and Crower 4.6 to comps.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
if your gonna spend money on a possible big bore and P&P'd heads then order up a set of custom grind cams. I prefer the VT and Crower 4.6 to comps.

+1 to that

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:

Cool, I'll definity look into that. But are companys stage 3 heads setups, with full port in intake and exhaust streetable? Or does that even matter, what matters is if cam makes it streetable?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online