How do I get rid of the PCV system?????

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
I'm doing HCI on my car and I don't want any oil in my new intake. How do I get rid of the PCV system? I know the passenger side I just put a breather on the valve cover but what about the drivers side cover?

ryclef331

Reaction score
Stick a breather in both covers. Plug the line in the back of the intake going from the pcv valve to the intake and plug the pcv port itself. SIMPLE AS THAT. MAKE SURE you plug off the small port from the oil filler neck to the intake elbow otherwise, you'll be drawing in unmetered air.

OP
OP
S

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
Do you know which breathers I need? Especially the one for the oil filler neck.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Whatever fits.

Your best bet is to just go to the parts store and buy two push in type breaters, look at your valve covers and figure out where to punch the holes (so the breathers don't hit anything). Mark while they are still on the car. Take them off and put holes in them so the breaters fit snug. Thats it. Its not hard at all. I could tell you where to buy anything "bolt on." You're doing an intake swap anyway so popping them off shouldn't be shit.

OP
OP
S

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
What did you use to plug the back of the intake? Isn't that where that screen goes that gets so nasty? :puke:

ryclef331

Reaction score
There are two port you'll plug....one on the upper intake where the pcv line originally ran to. If you're swapping intakes, you can just remove that port and install a pipe thread plug. They sell assortments of them at any local parts store. As for the part where the PCV Valve itself goes into, anything that will fit SNUG and TIGHT into there will do. There is a big rubber grommet there. I've see what looks like rubber bath tubber stoppers sold at autozone / advanced auto that are for plugging heater lines that would work great. You stick them in, and turn a nut which makes it expand and tighten up in the hole. I didn't have to plug mine b/c I'm now running a victor 5.0 intake and it doesn't have a port for PCV as its a race intake.

Its an easy thing to do. Just plug up what you take off with whatever fits tight

d_punch

Reaction score
are there any cons to removing or plugging the PCV?

and on a boosted engine would there be any problems?

OP
OP
S

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
Good deal, thanks man! I got a grasp of what to plug now. O0

And to the other guy, no there is NO cons to removing the PCV. It is there for emissions, nothing else.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Stopsign32v said:
And to the other guy, no there is NO cons to removing the PCV. It is there for emissions, nothing else.

This is where you kind of got it a bit skewed.

PCV was NOT orginally designed for emissions but it DOES help. PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventillation. This means that the engine actually SUCKS on the crank case to promote ventillation of any toxic fumes in the crankcase AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, any postive pressure that may be in there. Why do you think big motor race cars run vaccum pumps? Big cams = low intake vaccum = a PCV system that operates sub-par so they put a belt driven pump on there to draw out the pressure.

A crankcase that builds pressure is bad for MANY reasons. The toxic fumes and chemicals that remain in the crankcase can break down your oil. Crankcase pressure increases resistances to the piston traveling downward (be it on the power stroke or the intake stroke). It can also push out intake seals. A good operating PCV / Vaccum Pump promotes better ring seal as well. On BOOSTED cars, a properly functioning PCV system is complicated and often not worth the trouble in most mild street motors. It is better to just vent the crankcase to the atmosphere all together. On some more extreme street motors, a stock PCV type setup may be too small to keep up with the crankcase pressures generated by higher RPMs or Nitrous motors. That is another reason to eliminate it. If you're doing it just to prevent oil in the intake, run an air/oil seperator tee'd into the line.

tommybunz

Reaction score
what about me

i'm having problems my 5 o cause when i start the car and take off the oil cap you hear the pressure and you see the smoke with every turn of the crank it seems. i changed the plugs to see if it was the piston rings, no oil at all. i changed the pcv that didnt do it. oil gets in my CAI through the passenger side valve cover and travels all the way through the upper and lower. when im driving, if i step on the gas smoke comes in the car and out of the pipes. this is very embarrising. what do i do about this.

I need serious help with this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online