How do salvaged title cars make you feel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sinned83, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

I found a modded stang for a very reasonable price. It's a street/strip car. You guessed it. The title is salvedged. Car looks and drives mint. No visible damages to frame or anything that I can see. Price is great. I'm usually against this type of thing buying clean low milage cars has been my thing. What are your guys thoughts

2. DeepList

DeepList Administrator Admin SN95 Supporter

It's a matter of personal preference. Salvage titles always bother me... same with clean titles that have odometer discrepancies or other nonsense on them citing things like, "exceeded mechanical limits" or "mileage exempt."

Personally, the only time I'd ever buy a salvaged vehicle would be strictly for parts.

3. ttocs

ttocs Legend

it depends on the car and the person selling it and the price. My car was totaled after the accident I had with it but the damage was really not all that bad. Now me telling that to the someone to sell it, that will be a tough sale. I have pics documenting everything that happened and was done to hopefully help things if needed but I am not really worried about that day.

4. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

I'd only buy a salvage car as a project that I don't care about breaking/damaging.

5. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Depends on the price. Or if it will be a life long project.

Other wise, I would personally stay away. But that's because my family has been burnt by one, the seller didn't tell is it was rebuilt, it didn't show up on Carfax, but it did show up when bought and insurance put on it. So now every used car I look at I go down to the insurance company and pay for a report...

The truck itself is fine, but won't be worth much and will be a hard sell.

6. steam29

steam29 New Member

so far what i got from this is that if you don't plan on selling it and want a project car that you should buy a report on then go for it :D

7. Barner1

Barner1 Active Member

Owned them before & never had any outstanding problems (nothing different from ordinary vehicle fixes). Not hard to sell around this part of the country (west TN) either

8. Pitbull_SN95

Pitbull_SN95 Active Member

Also, call your insurance company and see if they will insure it. When I was looking for my first car, I found a modded mustang that had a salvage title. I checked with my insurance company at the time, and they wouldn't cover it. I haven't heard too many people having this issue, but won't hurt to call and ask first.

9. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

I scored a ford econoline e150 for $500 with a salvaged title. Guy said instead of paying taxes on it, he junked it because the 6cylinder had a blown head gasket and ,at the time, replacements were very expensive...if it could be found. Otherwise, van was in mint condition.

If it were a mustang,....probably be just fine with a salvaged title. I would never sell it anyhow.

10. 95opal

95opal Well-Known Member

Owned two salvaged stangs no headaches at all. have a good friend who buys restores and sells salvaged stangs all the time and never had issues. The question is How good of a deal and how much will it cost to get it through salavage inspection? will it be cheaper to just buy a legit stang with similar mods? or will the salvage car really be a huge savings? You need to find out why it was salvaged (ie flood car, theft, accident.) If you can find out what needs to be fixed to get it legit then you should be able to make the decision a lot easier. base3d on car cost restore costs and what a similar car would cost used. In the end only you will know if its worth it to yourself. I know I would never hestitate to buy a salvaged stang as long as I knew what type of deal I was getting.

11. Orange 94

I thought flood cars could NEVER by registered again? As in its not possible to get a rebuild status on it. I'm pretty sure that's how it works here, flood cars are only good for off road or parts.

12. 9838stang

9838stang Well-Known Member

Nope, there are a bunch of car that were shipped up here over the couple of years after katrina that were salvaged from flooding. A bunch of the used car lots had salvaged titles due to flooding. Of course all of them had the As- is no warranty on the window too lol.

13. 9838stang

9838stang Well-Known Member

I should also say, the cars that were on dealer lots, like in jersey, those cars were considered totaled because they couldn't be guarantied there wouldn't be electronic issues since everything on newer cars now relies complete on electronics. Many of those cars were sent to giant abandoned airport where the cars would sit until it came time to crush them or until the insurance companies were done with the cars. After that i have no idea where those cars ended up.

But no it isnt illegal to sell or register a flooded car. at-least most states.... lol

14. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

The deal is good. It needs nothing. Seller seems to have been super honest but he bought it salvaged as well. It would just be a toy for me as i have a fleet vehicle my mach and a jeep

15. Orange 94

16. slow90coupe

slow90coupe Well-Known Member

Personally I'd never own one unless it was a beater that I didn't care about at all and was worth less than $2000 either way.

17. Jgehret

Jgehret Member

Doesn't bother me if I know the extent of the damage.

This is a R-title car. The accident cracked the paint on the rear bumper.

[​IMG]

18. joser714

joser714 Member

Mines a restored salvage and I'm happy with it. Also a friend of mine got a new edge gt with a ton of mods for 2k. Salvage title due to theft TWICE

Sent from my LG-D851

19. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Salvaged makes great trailer queens!

20. GEORGEKLASS

GEORGEKLASS New Member

It depends on the extent of damages. Sometimes cars get a salvage title when there isn't too much damage. Sometimes even a theft recovery could be branded salvage. This can work out to your favor to buy one but can make it a tougher sell.

Obviously do your homework and really take a good look.