How do you guys feel the SN95 is aging?

turion94

Reaction score
852E36B1-10AA-4B0A-AF84-06B4AA5F5C68.jpeg I’ve owned my Mustang for about 10 years now. The engine is still all stock. Its a 5 speed, has 3.55 gears and high flow cated exhaust but lately it seems pretty slow and kinda just blends in with other 90s cars. It seems like the Foxbody is aging better. I don’t know maybe I’m just getting bored and need to lock it away for awhile so that I appreciate it better. How do you guys feel the SN95 is aging? Are they going out of style? 4 banger economy cars are definitely faster. Just venting. And wondering what fellow SN owners thoughts are on the subject.

Cheers.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Right there with you on this, man. What was once considered “scary fast” will get beaten by showroom fresh cars with warranties. Hell, my damn F-150 SuperCrew lays the smack down on bolt on SN95’s and it makes me sad. Time and progress wait for no man.

or machine.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I will never get tired of seeing these cars on the road or driving them on the road , these cars are in a class by themselves

Attachments

• 20170513_192731.jpg
    20170513_192731.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170513_193141.jpg
    20170513_193141.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170827_130855.jpg
    20170827_130855.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20171231_141052.jpg
    20171231_141052.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20171231_141137.jpg
    20171231_141137.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 19

Silver95bird

Reaction score
#1. if value is a consideration, this is the time to buy an sn95. we bought my wife's fox first, then the 96gt later. i think we bought the right deals at the right time, they can only go up.

#2. i bought them because i like the body style. i remember seeing the same foxes from 87-93 and frankly, by 93 the fox was old, even to me then as a kid. some rag on 94-98 looks but it was a needed step to bring the mustang out of the 70s and into the mid-90s.

#3. a lot of the fear of these cars was of the "new" 4.6L. we went from 30+ years of aftermarket Windsor parts and stepped into uncharted territory. There was 0 aftermarket for these cars for the first few years. No cams, no intakes, no trustworthy ported heads, and damn few P/A options. Now its all figured out. Pick a hp level, a time slip, or whatever and just find the easiest way there. Theres a ton of build threads for a guide.
Those with a 5.0 still have a ton of options, including the 351W swap. I personally am trying to persuade the wife she should consider that for her 86.

#4. speed is awesome, but its not everything. yeah, my gt may not out run a new Corvette, but a well prepared sn95 can still have a few surprises in store. and even in its shabby current paint condition, i still get compliments when im out and about. people like to see something different on the road, and i sure as hell dont want to drive the same thing everyone else has. And theyre relatively simple. Try to buy a car now without aBS, traction control, suspension/stability control, tpms, lane departure warnings, cameras, and 15 computers for everything but taking a leak on the side of the road. These were the last cars where the only traction control is my right foot. And I like it that way.

Any more questions? :)

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I very often hear from a lot of people that SN95 is the most unloved generation of mustangs, right down there with Mustang II. It often strikes me as an odd statement, because even in the paper, they weren't that bad. Sure there were the base and GT models with dismal performance in every way, but once you add an SVT badge, things would definitely get more interesting, even more so than F-Body of the same generation. The problem is that SN95 is currently invisible for several reasons, some of them are that angles are the thing right now, and that leaves the mid 90s "smooth design" out in the cold. I rarely ever see one these days, and when I do it's usually in the following categories:

1. The Built: Those who had either lack of brains or too stubborn to realize that there are better platforms out there, and stuck with an outdated platform, and kept modifying it. Pretty much everyone on this forum falls into this category. Results usually end up something that looks pretty cool to the owner and select few, may even be somewhat decent of a performer too, but will never challenge anything that's being made 2010+

2. The Collected: Those who for some reason still hope that one day in the future SN95 will be a classic, and keep it completely stock. Who knows, maybe that will be the case at some point, but I'm just not seeing it. They will never be smog exempt in half of the states, and the collector market seems to be permanently stuck in 60s, and Foxes, and just like Foxes, the later cars will be more desirable, in other words New Edge will be more sought after.

3. The Junkyard: Ranging from tastlessly modified with cheap lights, large ugly wheels, terrible paint, right down to the cars that have been neglected until they fall apart, which doesn't take much for a car that's 25 years old. I've recently visited a pick-your-part junkyard, while looking for some trim to complete the interior rebuild, and I've realized that the landscape changed, and while even 5 years ago, you'd be able to walk in and find lots of parts, today you'd struggle to find any donors at all. This means to me that the cars are slowly being phased out, and will most likely be forgotten. It's kinda crazy, considering that SN95 (94-98) had actually a pretty large production car number.

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
I think I’m in the #2 The Collected category. My car is a bit unique as far as how I got it in the first place. It used to belong to my older cousin who owned it since 1999. Was the second owner. I remember going for rides in it as a 12 year old on family reunions. At that time it had flowmaster exhaust (back before everyone had it) and 94 cobra rims. It was a badass car in my eyes. Fast forward 9 years and I almost bought the car from him a couple times in that period but he wanted too much money and I was a broke teenager. he tragically died at 38 in a car accident and the Mustang was given to me. The interior was mint, the engine was in good shape at less then 100k miles but the paint was peeling and the car had sat without being driven for years. I put about $5k into having a fresh coat of paint put on it and all new badges and put the original wheels back on it. I put high flow bbk catted xpipe and SLP LM1 mufflers. I drove the car as my daily throughout my early 20’s. It’s now an extra car that I drive every couple weeks to keep it limber. It’s got about 115k miles on it now. It’s not just any SN95 that you get from Craigslist or something it belonged to a close friend/family member so I’m cautious about tearing into it and turning into some Frankenstein drag car. And I take care of it as not to run it into the ground. I don’t have the extra funds having a mortgage and a young family and bills to put a supercharger or something. So have just driven it in stock form for the last 10 years. But lately it feels slow and I’ve noticed driving around nobody really notices it like you would notice a classic muscle car. So I just keep it clean and drive it every so often. But like you said angles are the thing right now and The collector market is stuck in the 60’s. I need to get some good looking wide wheels and lower the stance and put a HCI combo to wake it up.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I very often hear from a lot of people that SN95 is the most unloved generation of mustangs, right down there with Mustang II. It often strikes me as an odd statement, because even in the paper, they weren't that bad. Sure there were the base and GT models with dismal performance in every way, but once you add an SVT badge, things would definitely get more interesting, even more so than F-Body of the same generation. The problem is that SN95 is currently invisible for several reasons, some of them are that angles are the thing right now, and that leaves the mid 90s "smooth design" out in the cold. I rarely ever see one these days, and when I do it's usually in the following categories:

1. The Built: Those who had either lack of brains or too stubborn to realize that there are better platforms out there, and stuck with an outdated platform, and kept modifying it. Pretty much everyone on this forum falls into this category. Results usually end up something that looks pretty cool to the owner and select few, may even be somewhat decent of a performer too, but will never challenge anything that's being made 2010+

2. The Collected: Those who for some reason still hope that one day in the future SN95 will be a classic, and keep it completely stock. Who knows, maybe that will be the case at some point, but I'm just not seeing it. They will never be smog exempt in half of the states, and the collector market seems to be permanently stuck in 60s, and Foxes, and just like Foxes, the later cars will be more desirable, in other words New Edge will be more sought after.

3. The Junkyard: Ranging from tastlessly modified with cheap lights, large ugly wheels, terrible paint, right down to the cars that have been neglected until they fall apart, which doesn't take much for a car that's 25 years old. I've recently visited a pick-your-part junkyard, while looking for some trim to complete the interior rebuild, and I've realized that the landscape changed, and while even 5 years ago, you'd be able to walk in and find lots of parts, today you'd struggle to find any donors at all. This means to me that the cars are slowly being phased out, and will most likely be forgotten. It's kinda crazy, considering that SN95 (94-98) had actually a pretty large production car number.
I do agree somewhat , but a lot of the younger kids like this body style over the newer ones , I have lot of younger guys and gals asking me to build one for them from the ground up , or to even find one for them to build as a project , so there is more popularity to these cars , I will always favor any SN over the fox body or newer ,

PinkieT

Reaction score
Yep, modern cars are faster in a straight line. However, look at the popularity of affordable early Brit sports cars like the MGB and Triumph Spitfire. Slow on the straights, but fun to drive. Modern Miatas put out 181 hp and 151 ft lbs torque, but are a blast to drive. My 98 'stang has staggered 18s with good tires, KYBs, Vogtland lowering springs, Cobra brakes, Hellwig sway bars, subframe connectors, flowmaster exhaust, and a good old fashioned 5 spd. Once I get my PI heads and intake on, that and the other bolt-ons should give me 300 HP and over 300 ft lb.

delling3

Reaction score
I don't care if you are talking Fox-Body or SN95, if you are trying to compare with 25-40 years newer technology, you are gonna come up short. If you want to spend a ton of money to build a monster-eating SN95 you can, but it's not going to have much in common with your average daily driver.

I think the Fox body cars are reaching the "cool factor" that used to be reserved for the 1st and 2nd gen mustangs of the 60's and 70's. That's because they are now old enough (and frankly, have been largely out of the public eye as a daily driver) for a long time know, and they are starting to hit the "nostalgia" note. With the SN95 (and specifically the new edge) cars being still relatively a relatively common sight on the road, many as tired daily drivers, they are viewed by many a simply an old car. I suspect in the coming 4-5 years, you may see them start to be more appreciated.

But make no mistake, if you are expecting to run with a Hellcat, or even with a new GT or eco-boost mustang, look elsewhere. The SN-95 does compare very well with similar vintage cars, and certainly is in many ways a better, and faster car than the Fox. I used to restore and ride vintage Japanese motorcycles. I loved them, but could not keep up with new sportbikes. Same issues. Still doesn't take away from the fun factor of driving (or riding).

Personally, I love the look of the SN95. I think the body style is sweet, and to my eye, the early cars have a more timeless design than the new edge cars, which I don't think are aging as well. The performance doesn't detract from my enjoyment of driving - of course I don't have a new 5.0 liter in my driveway.

Reaction score
it all depends on what you want out of your car. figure that out first. My 97 still gives brand new cars a run for their money and many people are surprised by that, but obviously my card is different than most. its what matters to you most that should be the leading factor. build it. make it a sleeper. blow it up. store it. whatever floats your boat my man. ive had my car for 6+ years and have only had my new motor in for about a year and before that it was still an absolute blast to drive.

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
I never thought about that. You don’t see Fox body daily drivers. But you do see a lot of SN95 daily drivers and they are ragged out because they are still relatively cheap to buy. 10 years from now might be a different story.

And yes I do need to figure out what direction I’m going to go with mine. I’ll never sell it. $5-10k goes by so quick and the car has too much history to sell out for money.

lutter94

Reaction score
What were sales numbers for V6 vs. V8 SN95's? I can see demand for the V8's maintaining and increasing in time, but there seem to be so many of them in V6 mode. Sure the brakes match the GT, but the rear end is smaller, it would take some work to swap everything over. And once you factor in the cost, most people end up in a different car or gen mustang.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
comparing 20-30 yr old cars has rarely shown a performance advantage to the older cars. Judging how they "age" based on performance is just nuts. Think about when this car was new, and now go back 20-25 yrs and suddenly the sn looks like a luxury performance super car. They are starting to appreciate in value now but sure it will take more then a few years before they are really collectible even though my 94 now is a classic

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
The 1994 mustang IS a classic, at least in the eyes of most DMVs. It’s a modern classic that is ridiculously affordable, so now is the time to buy because they will increase in value in the coming years. They won’t fetch crazy prices, but you may start to see good examples go for 5 figures.

I have had my 94 since 98, and I’ve ALWAYS gotten compliments on it. Even now, with the clear float leprosy, flaking on every single panel, still gets appreciation. I’ve never appreciated the Fox bodies and never understood the desire. They were already classics, having models in 1979, but with the 93s not looking all that different, it just looked like an old car IMO. The 94 has sexy curves, and though I personally don’t think the body style dates the car, seeing everyone else in a modern truck or SUV means you’re gonna stick out like a sore thumb anyway. The round 90sness may make the car blend in with other 90s cars, except where I live they’ve all been disposed of, so there’s a bit of classicness on a location level.

Strangely, the new edge body styles I think look very dated and old despite remembering how futuristic they looked coming out.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The 1994 mustang IS a classic, at least in the eyes of most DMVs. It’s a modern classic that is ridiculously affordable, so now is the time to buy because they will increase in value in the coming years. They won’t fetch crazy prices, but you may start to see good examples go for 5 figures.

I have had my 94 since 98, and I’ve ALWAYS gotten compliments on it. Even now, with the clear float leprosy, flaking on every single panel, still gets appreciation. I’ve never appreciated the Fox bodies and never understood the desire. They were already classics, having models in 1979, but with the 93s not looking all that different, it just looked like an old car IMO. The 94 has sexy curves, and though I personally don’t think the body style dates the car, seeing everyone else in a modern truck or SUV means you’re gonna stick out like a sore thumb anyway. The round 90sness may make the car blend in with other 90s cars, except where I live they’ve all been disposed of, so there’s a bit of classicness on a location level.

Strangely, the new edge body styles I think look very dated and old despite remembering how futuristic they looked coming out.
After the 94- 98 SN seen the edges 99-04 they looked unfinished in a way did not care for them , then when the cobras and Mach1 terminators came out , I was really wanting a Mach1 ,
Down were I am at a good used one goes for 6 - 7 grand and a used banged up one goes for 4 to 5 grand

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Well, are our cars the fastest things in town? No. Is the technology in them cutting edge? No. Will they become collector items worth thousands of dollars more than we paid for them? Probably not. Do I still feel like I'm the coolest cat in town when I slip behind the wheel of my "old" SN95 5.0 Mustang GT and bark the tires going into 2nd and 3rd gear? You DAMN RIGHT!
Augusta, 2018_2.jpg

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
I’m kinda getting the feeling the SN95 might be turning out like the 1989 Nissans 240sx I had back in high school. It was a 5 speed and all original. I sold it for dirt cheap because it wasn’t as sought after as it is today. Now those cars are pretty popular and rare to find in original condition like that and fetch a high price.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I’m kinda getting the feeling the SN95 might be turning out like the 1989 Nissans 240sx I had back in high school. It was a 5 speed and all original. I sold it for dirt cheap because it wasn’t as sought after as it is today. Now those cars are pretty popular and rare to find in original condition like that and fetch a high price.
I do agree with you , the last car show , I ended up taking my 98 gray gt mustang had kids from probably 18 into there early 30s and some have no idea its a mustang , when I tell them what it is , they want one ,these kids like that body , had one tell me it looks aerodynamic and liked the body lines

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my buddy had an 89 crx si. IT was a pretty cool car with the stereo he had in it but it wasn't a popular car when he sold it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online