How hard is it to install shorty headers on my 96GT?

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
How hard is it to install shorty headers on my 96GT? I have a stupid exhaust leak, everytime i step on the gas i hear "tist tist tist tist" and it sounds like its coming from behind the radio area. so im gessing its the manifold gasket. so i was wondering how hard it would be to just throw some shortys on there over the winter since i have to fix the leak anyways. Do i have to drop the K-member? or can i just unbolt the motor and raise it? i need answers.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They are a pain in the ass, best way to install them is when you remove the head and install them out of the car. Good time to do a PI swap :) Stage 8 header bolts are the shit too! Worth the $40.

Also the noise could be a injector or even a loose spark plug. Checks your plugs as they will get loose and make a ticking noise before they blow out and rip up some threads with them.

Rantheman

Reaction score
you would not need to drop the k-member. I have long tubed headers and those are fraily easy for me o install. so I could imagine that shorties would be easier. I also have a tubular k-member so I made it that much easier for me but also do what droptop said

Koumiss45

Reaction score
They werent too bad....but it is easier to do it during the pi swap, thats what i did and it worked ok.....also it helps if you have someone with small hands, i used my mom on this one, lol she races a 442 with us kids on saturday night! I've heard about cutting the flange on the lower holes making it easier to install them although I'm not sure about this one.

jpajkos

Reaction score
Easiest way to install them is take that shit to a shop and let them sweat on it.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
jpajkos said:
Easiest way to install them is take that shit to a shop and let them sweat on it.

:rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000

jpajkos

Reaction score
Im glad that was sarcasim because I will never put headers an a 4.6l ever again.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
yeah ive heard to many horror stories,
not to mention for me i have a auto so
that would be even more fun

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered some shorties, so I'll let you know. ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online