How many qts. Mercon needed

Tomwas

Reaction score
Having my filter and pan gasket replaced, how many quarts are needed to refill after the job... 98 4.6 gt automatic...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Having my filter and pan gasket replaced, how many quarts are needed to refill after the job... 98 4.6 gt automatic...
It’ll be roughly 6 quarts. Depends on how long it’s been sitting still and how long you drain. I would pick up 8 to be safe. Don’t forget that it takes Mercon V. Don’t use dex/merc, that will lead to problems.

Addicted

Reaction score
Are you draining the torque converter at all? IMO I would go ahead and do it while your there. It's around 14 quarts if you drain it all.

OP
OP
Tomwas

Tomwas

Reaction score
Not going for the converter.. The pan gasket is just leaking.. Not having a problem thank god...

OP
OP
Tomwas

Tomwas

Reaction score
Having second thoughts now, when doing my brake job I found lots of old ps fluid up in the driver side fender well below that power steering booster jobby.. Thinking this is leaking in some manner and going below the car on to the cat... Wiped it down under the Car today finished see the source.. But it's also got old fluid below the unit on the firewall also... Is this known for leaking at all..??

Addicted

Reaction score
Having second thoughts now, when doing my brake job I found lots of old ps fluid up in the driver side fender well below that power steering booster jobby.. Thinking this is leaking in some manner and going below the car on to the cat... Wiped it down under the Car today finished see the source.. But it's also got old fluid below the unit on the firewall also... Is this known for leaking at all..??
You need a new hydroboost assembly, I would get it fixed asap. It can cause other issues.

OP
OP
Tomwas

Tomwas

Reaction score
I'm 68 and a shade tree mechanic, don't think I would attempt it myself though..

OP
OP
Tomwas

Tomwas

Reaction score
What other issues would it present.. Just wondering..

Addicted

Reaction score
I want to say it would cause issues with your brakes and steering. Your power steering is what runs it all. I'm kinda surprised your not have any power steering whine, possible brake fade. How long has this been this way? Forgive me if youve stated this already.

Addicted

Reaction score
Put it this way, if you take your serpentine belt off, your power steering goes, along with your brakes. Our specific design is a step up from the fox body units. Many do the swap on there car, thats why a junk car is not always junk.

OP
OP
Tomwas

Tomwas

Reaction score
Only had it two weeks. Noticed that the ps resovoir was filled up, cap says, do not overfill... I sucked some out of it to level it off where it should be. PO had it five years and his daughter drove it during college...

Addicted

Reaction score
Yeah bro if it was a college car, it got drove around alot, I'm paying for that now with my car, its tore apart. Youve got a nice car, just TLC. I would get it fix though asap. If you can wrap it somehow with rags where its leaking at, that would help with it running down into everything. Most of our liquids are hazardous to the exterior or interior of whatever it touches. I don't want to see something happen that can be prevented, especially when it involves your safety parts like steering, and braking!

OP
OP
Tomwas

Tomwas

Reaction score
She put 30k miles on it in five years... Car was in Jersey, she went to rutgers... The fluids actually preserved everything.. Paints like new in the fender well and under the hood once I wiped it down... I t Just get drips under it when it's parked overnite...

Addicted

Reaction score
She put 30k miles on it in five years... Car was in Jersey, she went to rutgers... The fluids actually preserved everything.. Paints like new in the fender well and under the hood once I wiped it down... I t Just get drips under it when it's parked overnite...
Definitely monitor it. Be safe brother.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138