How much is a 96 4.6 engine worth?

snoball

Reaction score
I made a deal with a guy i swap his old 96 motor out (new aluminum pi heads, pi intake, bbk shorties)/tranny and put in a newer gt motor he had built up and a new tranny. I get to keep the 96 motor with everything on it except water pump. The problem is the motor runs fine but oil pressure bounces around. Me and buddy are doing this and splitting what we sell of it 50/50 to make some easy cash. however i believe taking off the new heads (less than 800miles and 5 months old) and selling them seperate and then sell the intake. After that part was we can of the shortblock and scrap the rest. He thinks selling it complete with good pressure would net us more, i however dont think it would. Opinions?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
you wont get much for a stock Non-PI shortblock, there isnt really any desire for someone to buy one unless they want to build it up and they can easily get a much better Teskid block or Explorer Aluminum block for $250-$400.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
i dont know how much do boat anchors go for?? :dunno: i would guess right around there since they boat serve the same purpose

OP
OP
S

snoball

Reaction score
Thats kind of what i thought, i know the 96 non pi motor are junk, trust me but for free and just swapping one out for another and getting the aftermarket heads and the good pi intake would be worth it i think.

bleau

Reaction score
Sounds like a great deal to me, just for the heads and intake.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
i agree you cant beat a free motor...and if you needed one...then the money you planned on using to get it can go towards the good stuff ...not to bad of a deal...and i was kinda kidding about the boat anchor comment lol i was just trying to get a laugh outta someone :D

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
tRaV_19 said:
i dont know how much do boat anchors go for?? :dunno: i would guess right around there since they boat serve the same purpose

tRaV_19 said:
i agree you cant beat a free motor...and if you needed one...then the money you planned on using to get it can go towards the good stuff ...not to bad of a deal...and i was kinda kidding about the boat anchor comment lol i was just trying to get a laugh outta someone :D

:'( not funny. Im going to go jump off a bridge with FETS.

OP
OP
S

snoball

Reaction score
Yeah i dont need the 4.6, just came along on this deal. If i do get it anyone interested in buying it w/o heads/intake or all together.. shoot me an offer via pm on here. As i said it runs good and fine but oil pressure bounces around... I will ship if close otherwise you pick it up. Itll be about an hr north of Stl...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its probably worth about 500-700 unless you find someone who needs a new engine because they blew theirs. The selling point would be the PI stuff on the NPI shortblock raises the compression for N/A applications. So maybe someone would shell out 900-1000.

OP
OP
S

snoball

Reaction score
so what would aftermarket patriot pi heads be worth seperate, the intake seperate and then the rest of the motor ( i know nothing bout the npi and pi) i usually mess around with cobra motors and an occasional newer edge pi motor, never messed with the old npi cuz noone i know has one cuz they are slow as piss (no offense to anyone here but ive seen supercharged npi run horrible.. too much money to make em fast, easier to buy a motor built pi from factory)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Patriot heads are just ported stock PI's and are probably worth 6-800 depending on what stage they are and how the valves/guides are. PI intakes go for about 100 if its the updated version with aluminum crossover. The NPI shortblocks don't sell for much since they are easily found...you'd be lucky to get 300.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online