How much money did I save?

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
I like thinking about how much money I saved when I turn my own wrenches! Its just a fun thing to do. I'm sure everyone does it. So how much money do you think I saved?

I just replaced the power window motor, power lock actuator, and fixed an electrical issue where the door locks would lock and unlock opposite each other whenever you pressed the button. So two replacements, and a fix. All on my 1987 chevy silverado. How much do you think I saved over taking that to a shop? My guess would be something like:

1. Power window motor replacement: $150

2. Door lock actuator replacement: $80

3. Electrical bug fix: $75

For a total of $310. What would it cost in your area? And what are some other times that you have saved a lot on repairs? And how much?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
A stealership labor rate is at least $100/hr.
I'd guess you saved about $150-200.
If you really want to know what the labor rate for each job is, I can pull that off All Data for you

ProKiller

Reaction score
i recently did the timing chain on my wife's civic and my mom's accord. right there would have been probably a grand between the two of them if not more.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Thousands of thousands of dollars.I've probably installed gears or built rears 10+ times in my own cars over the years. Not to count engine and tranny or suspention work.

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
This fact hits me hard, as I have very little experience in car repair. I can do some things and am willing to try, but a lot of the more complex (and costly) tasks I have to pay someone to do. I just don't have the tools, knowledge (and sometime the strength - sorry, being a woman with no male friends does suck.) I've been learning, thanks sn95fourm!, but this is why my garage is full of new/used parts. I need to find a local decent mechanic that's affordable. I'm going to a local Mustang meet in March, so I'm hoping to get some contacts there!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have not stopped sanding on my body long enough to consider it. Although I was able to save $1500 of the lowest retail I could find with the supercharger kit that was delivered yesterday as promised never used and complete

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
i recently did the timing chain on my wife's civic and my mom's accord. right there would have been probably a grand between the two of them if not more.

definately more. that's about $15-2000 at the stealership. each

95opal

Reaction score
If I had to pay someone to build my car I wouldn't build one,, to dam expensive. I don't think chip foose gives out forum discounts lol

jumbowolfe

Reaction score
Re-worked/installed the majority of my own suspension. Springs, Struts, Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends, Bumpsteer, Caster Camber plates. Did it all myself with the help of a buddy.

Probably spent close to $1000 in parts, saved myself probably $600-1200 in labor. Don't know exactly what all that would have cost.

Other stuff I did myself
1. Cobra Brake conversion - $300+ in parts, probably saved $200-300 in labor
2. Window Motor Fixes - $100+ for rebuilt motors, probably $200-300 in labor
3. Radiator Replacement - ??
4. Water Pump Replacement - ??
5. Alternator Replacement

I did pay someone to replace the transmission, the MF axle backs, and the tune. Other than that, i do most of my work myself.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The most I've ever saved on my car was probably by letting my local mustang club install the gears.
I've also always gotten my alignments and rims/tires mounted for free because my friend's dad owns an alignment/axle shop.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Seems like you guys have saved a lot of money. But to be clear, I wasn't talking about upgrades such as gears or paint jobs or heads and whatnot. I mean actual repairs, to stuff that broke or was clearly about to break. Stuff that you'd really rather not have to do, cause you just wanted it to keep working the way it was. Like my power window motor, for instance. Or a tie rod end. That kind of stuff.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Working on you car yourself because you have to or because you want to doesn't matter. It's about doing it because you want to or can't afford to have someone else do it for you. I've saved my family thousands of dollars over the years.
When my wife and I were first married (27 years ago) I bought the parts to rebuild the alt in her cavalier. REAL REPAIR
Last year I pulled the heads on her Suburban to fix a leaking head gasket for the 2nd time. REAL REPAIR
I've replaced the trans in my toyota truck, also the head gasket and timing chain last month. REAL REPAIR
I picked up my Gt because my son's friend could afford to pay $500 to have the dealer replace the clutch. I told him I'd do it for half but he still couldn't afford it. So he sold to to me for $2500. REAL REPAIR
I do it because I can and because I like to fix them as well. REAL REPAIRS or upgrades is about keeping more money in my pocket.

TanTop94

Reaction score
This fact hits me hard, as I have very little experience in car repair. I can do some things and am willing to try, but a lot of the more complex (and costly) tasks I have to pay someone to do. I just don't have the tools, knowledge (and sometime the strength - sorry, being a woman with no male friends does suck.) I've been learning, thanks sn95fourm!, but this is why my garage is full of new/used parts. I need to find a local decent mechanic that's affordable. I'm going to a local Mustang meet in March, so I'm hoping to get some contacts there!

Wish you were closer, I have a trusty mechanic that does everything but rears, he was honest enough when I asked him to do 373 gears that they always have the slightest bit of whine. But to talk about price, he charged my girlfriend only $400 to do the clutch, front struts, and check the car over fully for anything else in her 02 Accent, which is a transverse 4, aka a ***** of a job. But I also have a transmission/rear place and both are within 15mins away. So if you are ever in MD lol, I know it sucks getting worked by any auto shop/ dealership.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I've saved a lot. When i had my bumper, wing and mirrors painted. I took them off myself (and re installed) and dropped off myself. I compounded and polished the finished pieces myself. Probably saved 300-500 there.. Installed my new speakers, saved around 200. Put the starter wrap on my starter, saved 150 (was the price guy told me to do it). did my own plugs and wires with my dad, probably 100 saved there. I don't have the know how to do my own motor work or rear end work. But i know now I can definitely do shocks, struts, springs..

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Wish you were closer, I have a trusty mechanic that does everything but rears, he was honest enough when I asked him to do 373 gears that they always have the slightest bit of whine. But to talk about price, he charged my girlfriend only $400 to do the clutch, front struts, and check the car over fully for anything else in her 02 Accent, which is a transverse 4, aka a ***** of a job. But I also have a transmission/rear place and both are within 15mins away. So if you are ever in MD lol, I know it sucks getting worked by any auto shop/ dealership.

Thanks, I wish I was closer too! Hope to get some local referrals for shops when I go to the Mustang Round-Up in Smithfield VA in May.

HelenaR

Reaction score
With regards to topic discussion, let me share the fact that at this present time, it's so hard to save quite a bit of money. Well, saving money is something that all of us know we must do. Actually, many individuals do some simple things just to put aside more cash. Just like what you do. :smiley:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online