How much power should I be making???

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
Hey Iv done alot of motor work to my car but it still doesnt feel fast. I have a 94 GT auto with a bored 308 cui, Trickflow tw heads and stage 1 cam, 1.6 rrs, forged internals, arp girdle, GT40 intake 1in spacer, C&L 76 MAF and cai tube, dyno tune, custom chip, bassani catted X, bbk headers, flowmaster 40 series catback, 30lb injectors. I have the stock pullies, tb and 3.08 gears tho. I was thinking mayb 4.10s would wake this car up. Or what wheel hp should I be making at this point (keep in mind auto) Thanks
btw before i added the complete exhaust, running stock exhaust i made 250rwhp and 306rwtq---- low numbers :help2:

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
the 4.10's will definately wake up the car since you still have 3.08's still. your auto tranny is part of the reason the numbers are a little lower than you think they would be. it soaks more power than a t5 would. you might be around 270 since you changed your whole exhaust. definately get some gears either 3.73's or 4.10's

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lets address the trans since that is what is making your car SLOW :hammer: First the 4:10's are the way to go on the gears, next you need a looser tq converter.......probally in the 2800-3200 range this will make a DRAMATIC increase in your cars performance. Also a shift kit would firm up the shifts and make it more responsive also. But the converter is something your going to HAVE to get if you want your pony to haul oats. :)

Fat-cat

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Lets address the trans since that is what is making your car SLOW :hammer: First the 4:10's are the way to go on the gears, next you need a looser tq converter.......probally in the 2800-3200 range this will make a DRAMATIC increase in your cars performance. Also a shift kit would firm up the shifts and make it more responsive also. But the converter is something your going to HAVE to get if you want your pony to haul oats. :)

I totaly agree.. and since you have fordged internals why not put a 100 shot of the good old giggle gas on her ( i recomend putting a sfi aproved balancer on at that same time )

OP
OP
S

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
yeah i think 4.10s or 3.90s will be my first change on the list. does anyone have a combo similar to me? or what about the auto guys, are any of yall making good numbers?

maddog2020

Reaction score
Wow -- I have a all stock 74K 94 GT with an auto, only changes I have made are BBK O/R X pipe and flowmaster cat back that put down 235 RWHP -- Mine had 3.27 gears in it factory -- I put 4.10's in and it feels like a completely different car. With your mods I would think you woudl be doing much better with your changes -- what chip are you using? I hooked a Tweecer RT up to mine and with the stock chip once you cross 3500 -4000 RPM's the computer starts really retarding the timing.

As far as firming up the shifts -- I installed a B&M Shift Plus -- it was 29 bucks at the local speed shop and took about 20 minutes to install (2 wires spliced in before the Computer)-- most of that was reading the instructions -- it has 2 settings stage1 and stage 2 -- on 1 the shifts are very firm and on stage 2 WOW -- neck breaker!!!

jpajkos

Reaction score
Putting 4.10s in your car with a new torque converter will defiantly put down more power. Also get a good TUNE. Tuning is the key for those automatics. You can change shift points etc. Your car should be running around the 290ish range but thats just my opinion. I had a 92 5.0 with a stroked a4 347 all forged internals, GT 40 upper and lower intake, cammed, heads etc ya da ya da with a paxton novi 2000 charger w/ intercooler 3.73s 5pd tremmc and I was running with a good tune 483- @ 498. I would slap a blower on that car in a heart beat knowing you forged the motor. Kenne bell all the way man. When I charged my motor Paxton was the hottest thing out there well its not like that anymore lol. Good luck and just be paitent. Power will come soon enough.

wiplash

Reaction score
maddog2020 said:
Wow -- I have a all stock 74K 94 GT with an auto, only changes I have made are BBK O/R X pipe and flowmaster cat back that put down 235 RWHP -- Mine had 3.27 gears in it factory -- I put 4.10's in and it feels like a completely different car. With your mods I would think you woudl be doing much better with your changes -- what chip are you using? I hooked a Tweecer RT up to mine and with the stock chip once you cross 3500 -4000 RPM's the computer starts really retarding the timing.

As far as firming up the shifts -- I installed a B&M Shift Plus -- it was 29 bucks at the local speed shop and took about 20 minutes to install (2 wires spliced in before the Computer)-- most of that was reading the instructions -- it has 2 settings stage1 and stage 2 -- on 1 the shifts are very firm and on stage 2 WOW -- neck breaker!!!
I CALL BS! Theres no way a stock automatic 94 GT with exhaust is pullin 235 rwhp. Try 180 rwhp, IF your lucky.

wiplash

Reaction score
I probably have 240 rwhp on my car with:
t5
95 cobra upper & lower
1.7 crane rr's
underdrive pullies
smog pump bypass
65 mm tb
cai tube with k&n fipk
1 5/8 headers
o/r h pipe
flowmaster catback
ported stock 70mm maf

Stock rwhp on a t5 gt is about 190, stock on an auto gt is about 170-180 rwhp.

OP
OP
S

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
hmm thanks idk about 235rwhp on the stock-ish motor that sounds high, but thanks for the info on the B&M shift kit il try that out! i think 280-90 like jpajkos said is where i should be and if I get 4.10s it will feel like it. (a blower will come in the future but i jus dont have the money). does anyone have dyno numbers with their auto?? jw how to compare with ur mods.

wiplash

Reaction score
I've heard the b&m electronic shift kit might do damage, but the kit from transgo for the aode is awesome and haven't heard a bad thing about it. I did a lot of research on it when I had my auto in, but decided to swap to the t5 instead.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
wiplash said:
maddog2020 said:

I CALL BS! Theres no way a stock automatic 94 GT with exhaust is pullin 235 rwhp. Try 180 rwhp, IF your lucky.

he may mean flywheel hp :hammer: :hammer:

wiplash

Reaction score
Even so, it may be 215hp (stock) at the flywheel. But he did say rwhp. :slap:

OP
OP
S

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
Do u think the transgo kit is better than the B&M kit? i do kno the B&M is very easy to install b/c its all computer controls and changes. and again, if any auto guys out there have hp numbers lets hear them.

wiplash

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the transgo is better. It will also lengthen the life of your auto too. As far as rwhp, 300 sounds about right. The auto will be 10-15% less hp than a t5 car. Go with 410 gears with the auto.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have used trans-go twice in the past (most recently on my 98 I had when I joined here) and I have never had any trouble with them, I think they are top of the line and work very well.

OP
OP
S

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
cool, thanks for the tips. I'm def getting 4.10s but first i want to addrest the trans. is the transgo kit easy to install? or will i have to drop the pan? the B&M is all computer, so installation would be very easy.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
SaleenStang94 said:
cool, thanks for the tips. I'm def getting 4.10s but first i want to addrest the trans. is the transgo kit easy to install? or will i have to drop the pan? the B&M is all computer, so installation would be very easy.

the trans-go kit is a actual kit that has to be installed in the trans valve body. The pan has to be taken off and the valve body is removed from the trans, and a few diffrent mods are done to it including...............changing check balls / drilling a few holes / changing springs / changing valves, nothing too complicated. I have had it done twice and been there for both installs ( and helped a little too). Its not a long process and can be done in a hour or two ( if you have a lift to put the car up on)

OP
OP
S

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
ok cool, thanks everyone for ur help. and auto guys once again, if u have dyno numbers list them plz

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
SaleenStang94 said:
ok cool, thanks everyone for ur help. and auto guys once again, if u have dyno numbers list them plz

my 98 did 238hp with a non pI motor and full bolt-ons

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99