How much weight do you guys toss in your trunk for winter/snow driving?

W

Wes8398

I picked up 2 50LB sand bags and threw them in the trunk, but after this dump of snow today, I can see that 100Lbs really didn't help much. I have no choice but to drive the car through the winter, so I'm just wondering what others do to gain some rear end traction in the snow.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
none... i dont drive the stang in heavy snow/ icey conditions. I have driven it in a couple of light snows but i got around fine (better than what i would have expected). I have a 79 f 150 4x4 w/ a locker in the rear end so i dont need any weight :D. Honestly i would look into some snow tires if you have to drive it in the snow often (if you dont already have them). a buddy usually has 4 bags (pry 150 lbs or so, we got them off the side of the road from a construction outfit) in his 2wd pickup w/ studded snow tires and he gets around great and supposedly the weight makes a big difference for him.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Alright, alright, I don't need to hear any more of the gloating from the southern jerks...i mean people. :aresehole: hehehe kidding.
I'm also not gonna buy another car - just can't do it.
I DO have winter tires on it right now. They're not the best out there by any means, but at least an actual winter tire. I realize it's going to be pretty easy to lose the rear end in the snow, but I just wanted to know if anyone found a good weight to add to the trunk that helped significantly. I'm in Southern Ontario, so really, I'm not driving around IN the snow a whole lot. Only when we get a fresh dump and the crews haven't had a chance to clear the roads yet. Today was pretty much our first snowfall of the winter season, and it had a nice little sheet of ice under it from the rain/drizzle we had all day long too. Roads were pretty nasty, so I wasn't expecting much control anyway.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

I'm really not looking for other ideas ... Just asking how much weight to use when using something like sand in the trunk/back seat. Chains aren't necessary, nor are they an every-day type thing I'm looking for.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Hey, I appreciate your suggestions, don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to stay on the topic of my initial subject line, thats all. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I just don't wanna add unnecessary weight and spend money I don't need to, so I was curious what other people use.

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
I only drove mine one winter and that was that. If I remember I had 2 50 lbs bags in the back and in the spring I found a nice beach surprise in the trunk. :hammer:

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
My subs are pretty heavy in the trunk make the car pull wheelies lol...but seriously, no matter how much weight you have in hte trunk a RWD car is going to drive like a RWD car

Spyder

Reaction score
Well i live in utah and i too am forced to drive in the snow.

We havent had a real bad dump, at least nothing that has kept me off the roads for more than a night.
Im running some all season tires, and the only ballast i have is when my gas tank is full. Its gets a little squirly at times, but in my opinion it makes driving more fun!! :banana:

All jokes aside though, if you feel like you need more weight, add it. I would suggest putting a tarp underneath those sand bags just incase the beach wants out of the bag. I was almost to the point of sticking a bare 302 block in my trunk, but after i fried some piston rings last week, i dont see the point :hammer:

Good luck driving in the white stuff, and as long as you get where you need to go, get there sideways!!

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

LOL Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. I definately agree that snow driving with the stang is a lot more fun than my previous cars (cheap, economical, FWD imports). It was actually really nice today when I realized that since my street was yet to be plowed, I no longer needed that 3 point turn to get turned around infront of my house (parked facing one way, wanted to go the other). I just gave it some gas and cranked the wheel ... 180 degree turn in no time. O0 I wanna find an empty parking lot somewhere that hasn't been plowed at all, so I can practice my driving and get used to the car in the snow ... then I'll be a lot more comfortable with driving in the city after a good storm. This is my first RWD car, and really, my first REAL car, so I'll just have to be extra careful not to hurt my baby.

snoball

Reaction score
Be careful in those parking lots, friend was doing the same last year and basically ripped off the front suspension because he didnt know an island was under the snow.

S

scarface

Snoball said:
Be careful in those parking lots, friend was doing the same last year and basically ripped off the front suspension because he didnt know an island was under the snow.
that would have classic if you had a video of that O0

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Yah, that really would have SUCKED hard .. but probably would have been unfortunately funny to see.
I'm always worried about hitting a dry spot (where a car was parked or something) sideways and fucking something up that way. Not sure if that could cause damage, but common sense says that it wouldn't be a great thing to do.

Spyder

Reaction score
well, my experience with drifting in the snow, if your spinning the tires pretty hard while your drifting it, then when you hit dry pavement you usually spin for a bit more till it starts to grab

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Usually I just store a few dead bodies in the trunk, but theres not much room in the trunk though...

S

scarface

thats why its great the back seats fold down....more leg room in the trunk :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online