how much will it cost to go pi??

97vertstang

Reaction score
i hate being slow how much will it cost to go full pi??head intake and work included??i just want to know whats the average people waste when going pi??sometimes i think about selling my car and buying a cobra but with the money ill waste to buy one i rather invest on making my faster. :help2: another wheres a good shop in so cal to do this .i dont trust anyone with this modular engines.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
The complete PI swap is sold by a few companies, look in the mags for it. If you buy the stuff you can save a bunch, most shops have some of the stuff. The shop I go to sells the PI intake, heads with cams for 800. Shoping around is key to getting a good price, and yea you have to be carefull in who you have work on a modular stang, they are NOT like a 302 and can be fuc*&% up very easily.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Just get some PI cams and PI intake and you will be up with the 99+ Stangs. Then down the road if you want to add a supercharger you won't have a compression problem.
PI cams can be picked up for $100.00 just have to look around for some. The PI intake is only
170.00 new.
The PI head-swap is 1300.00, I can't see paying 1000.00 for 10-15 RWHP. And thats from the compression difference.

Anyway thats my plans, except for the PI cams. I gonna go with either 268H or 262AH comp cams. And maybe in the next couple years I'll get a s/c.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Enter Username

Reaction score
Just get a new engine, it's cheap and you have a fresh feeling car.

26k 2002 GT Engine + Install = $500.

Or maybe I just have some hook ups. /shrug

98GTSTANG

Reaction score
Enter Username said:

Where did you get a deal like that? How much of the old stuff is usable?

Enter Username

Reaction score
98GTSTANG said:
Where did you get a deal like that? How much of the old stuff is usable?

Jehovajireh.

All of my old stuff was still usable. However I don't have any of it left. It's 95% new under my hood. /flex

215horsesbaby

Reaction score
yeah 500$ for a low mileage 02 gt engine. Thats a deal. He must not have a need for $$$ to be able to sell it that low.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Enter Username said:

:rollinglaugh: yes it helps to have people in good places, I got my entire new motor (shortblock, new DSS pistons, rings, bearings, Stage 2 PI heads, Comp 278XE cams, 30lb injectors, and bbk valve covers for 1200 bucks. Just the worked heads alone is worth that :naughty:, I got a killer deal on my stuff, so it is a big plus when you have hook-ups..............especially shop owners :laugh:

98GTSTANG

Reaction score
Sounds like the intake and cams is the way to go. I have a pending sale on a PI intake right now. What can I use from the old intake and what will I have to buy new? Same thing goes for the cams. Is this a straight swap on both?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Labor is the kicker on the PI.
If you're paying somone it adds up.

I had a friend do mine, and paid him 300 bucks.

It's totally worth it IMO.

Whether you want to sell your car or not is up to you.
I considered that myself a year back or so.

Is your car paid for? that's a factor.

you could look at it like this:
Blue book what your car would get if you sold it.
subtract from the price of the car you're looking at.
then decide how much you like your car, and if you'd rather
spend the difference in upgrades / custom, or on a new ride - that you'll probably upgrade anyway ;)

The upgrade expense is also relative to how much power you want to get from it...

Hope that helps.

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Labor is the kicker on the PI.
If you're paying somone it adds up.

I had a friend do mine, and paid him 300 bucks.

It's totally worth it IMO.

Whether you want to sell your car or not is up to you.
I considered that myself a year back or so.

Is your car paid for? that's a factor.

you could look at it like this:
Blue book what your car would get if you sold it.
subtract from the price of the car you're looking at.
then decide how much you like your car, and if you'd rather
spend the difference in upgrades / custom, or on a new ride - that you'll probably upgrade anyway ;)

The upgrade expense is also relative to how much power you want to get from it...

Hope that helps.
yes my car is paid for and is currently my daily driver which till now is great by the way :thumb: its just that 215hp its demorolizing when theres a lot of imports and even older 5.0s that i know can walk on me. BTW living in california and all the smog laws dont help either. just like everybody other gt owner i have debated many times whether mod mine or buy a cobra. i got my car for 5k a nice 96-98 cobra around here goes from 8-12k.thats 3-7k i could use for modding!!!!yet again a cobra is a cobra.well i guess the right decision is the one i decide to do.no matter what its gonna be a stang :banana: :thumb: im going to save some money now and either cobra or pi conversion.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds good.
I hear you on your concerns.
Dam subaru's

and, a cobra is a cobra, that's true.

good luck, keep us posted.

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
S281 #39B said:
Just buy a blower you'll love it.
blower on NPI= $3000+ for @80hp gain
PI swap on NPI =$800 for @50hp gain
yeah for the 3000+ u can spend on a blower u can buy ported pi heads and some cams,and the supporting mods for probably 300+rwhp on all motor.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
97vertstang said:
DropTopPony said:
S281 #39B said:
Just buy a blower you'll love it.
blower on NPI= $3000+ for @80hp gain
PI swap on NPI =$800 for @50hp gain
yeah for the 3000+ u can spend on a blower u can buy ported pi heads and some cams,and the supporting mods for probably 300+rwhp on all motor.

This is exactly right,
add a blower to NPI stuff, about 80 HP is all you can get - you can only force so much air throught the small NPI ports and small lift cams.

I've seen guys getting 130+ rwhp gain from ported PI heads and cams - vs the 80 from a blower.... do the math.

Aaaaaaanyway, check this out!
My cuz was looking for info to upgrade the intake/cams, or PI swap on his 98 with a vortec....
So I was doing some research for him, and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996...emQQcategoryZ33617QQitemZ8058206811QQtcZphoto

He's doing the PI.
I payed more than double that back when I did mine...

Any thoughts?

M1ke

Reaction score
there's a guy on another forum that has his npi heads p&p'd and assembled by steen racing. ive heard nothing but good things about them. with those heads and cams he dyno'd 309.43/316.62 rwhp 4.6L 2V NA
depending on the turnaround of steen i wouldnt mind taking my npi heads of and getting them worked on by steen and drive our beater truck around till i could get em back and installed.

check out their site http://www.steenracing.com and go to products. if you talk to steve i think it is, he could set you up with the right package and stuff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online