How often do you change your oil?

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
http://www.suite101.com/content/synthetic-oil-vs-conventional-motor-oil-a136539

I could post more, but this is from a consumer website. Pros are exactly as we say they are:
Pros

* Synthetic motor will increase the life of an engine
* Longer oil change intervals, because of viscosity breakdown
* Better for extreme driving conditions, especially extremely cold or hot weather.

Cons

* Synthetic motor can cost up two three times more than conventional motor oil.

You're obviously a blind, ignorant fool if you are saying that Synthetic and conventional oil are the same. There are ADDITIVES in synthetic oil which is why it's better. Your argument is as stupid as saying "why do some cars call for 91 octane gas and not 87 octane? They are both gasoline".

Dysfunction

Reaction score
Bet that took a long time to split... You really get butt hurt from this topic don't ya?

I'm not dumb as you seem to imply, nor am I lazy. And my engine is extremely clean on the inside. The fact is $20 bucks for a 5+ quart jug of synth is not that expensive, and the other fact is I probably spend as much money as you changing my oil a year. My engine has 151,000... Still runs beautifully. Granted i've only owned it for the last 15,000 of that or so.

I'm going to continue to change my oil, with synthetic, like I currently am. If my engine has some catastrophic death due to oil, i'll say I told you so, and you can ride away all high and mighty into the sunset. But I don't forsee that happening in the near future.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Rice_slayer said:
http://www.suite101.com/content/synthetic-oil-vs-conventional-motor-oil-a136539

I could post more, but this is from a consumer website. Pros are exactly as we say they are:
Pros

* Synthetic motor will increase the life of an engine
* Longer oil change intervals, because of viscosity breakdown
* Better for extreme driving conditions, especially extremely cold or hot weather.

Cons

* Synthetic motor can cost up two three times more than conventional motor oil.

You're obviously a blind, ignorant fool if you are saying that Synthetic and conventional oil are the same. There are ADDITIVES in synthetic oil which is why it's better. Your argument is as stupid as saying "why do some cars call for 91 octane gas and not 87 octane? They are both gasoline".

That's some unbiased "consumer" source. There is absolutely no technical information in that link; the level of conversation might even be below this thread for crying out loud. Not to mention it's chock full of AMSOIL and every other synthetic manufacturer's advertisements, links where to buy it, etc. Do you really think the website is going to talk down about its supporting vendors?

You guys should watch some Two Guys Garage and Trucks! TV. They always have some really great products at the end of the shows you guys would think are awesome.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Don't they always promote ROYAL PURPLE on Trucks/Horsepower TV?

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Everything so far thats been said has been based out of fiction not fact, beyond the few questionable sources. Not debunking anyone but I've yet to see anything but blatant opinion being pushed in this thread. Anyone who seems to disagree is an idiot or fan boy according to this fine fellow.

Passenger

Reaction score
Every 2500-3000 miles in the Mustang.
My DD Sentra gets changed every 5-6k using Mobile 1 full synthetic and a Wix filter. 200,000 miles and going strong.

Dysfunction

Reaction score
Steven said:
Everything so far thats been said has been based out of fiction not fact, beyond the few questionable sources. Not debunking anyone but I've yet to see anything but blatant opinion being pushed in this thread. Anyone who seems to disagree is an idiot or fan boy according to this fine fellow.

Yep, I agree.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I really don't want to get into this but wtf. I'm GUESSING most manufacturers don't build cars that call for synthetic because it would scare most buyers away from buying their cars because of the extra cost oil changes would bring. Just like most cars don't call for 93 octane gasoline. Every time i tell someone my Lexus and Mustang takes 93 they go OMG! I wouldn't want to pay for that! Yeah... that extra 1.50 every fill up really breaks the bank let me tell you.

Also oil isn't always dirty at 3000 miles. There's really no such thing as a 3000 mile oil change anymore, that's old school shit. Cars now are more like 5-8k mile oil changes. My Lexus, which runs an old ass engine, has an oil change light for 4500-5000 miles. A lot of people that run synthetic in these cars change the oil every 10,000 miles, and the filter every 5,000. I checked the oil in my Lexus @ 5500 miles and it was still clean as crap, so I let it go for a while longer. Synthetic oil is better longer than conventional oil, and the stuff I buy is only $17 for 5 qts. Run the same stuff in my Cobra, when I took it apart to do the heads and cam the inside of the engine was damn near spotless. Awesome. Carry on...

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
mustang gets changed every 4000 or so miles with mobil 1 oil and a motorcraft filter
beater honda gets done whenever i feel like it.

for what its worth my 1990 honda accord says to change the oil filter every 7,500 miles and the air filter every 30,000

95PGTTech

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
I really don't want to get into this but wtf. I'm GUESSING most manufacturers don't build cars that call for synthetic because it would scare most buyers away from buying their cars because of the extra cost oil changes would bring. Just like most cars don't call for 93 octane gasoline. Every time i tell someone my Lexus and Mustang takes 93 they go OMG! I wouldn't want to pay for that! Yeah... that extra 1.50 every fill up really breaks the bank let me tell you.

All our Acuras use 93 octane and it's never a selling point from a car that's $25.5K to $60K. The RDX's use synethic while all others use synthetic blend (at a dealership also expensive) and it's never a selling point. What fuel it uses or what oil it uses (even if the salesmen brought it up, which they never do) is never a selling issue on a new car, period. Fuel economy might get mentioned once, at best.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah I'll agree it's much more common to discuss fuel economy than it is what octane gas a car uses but people that are more aware of it will probably take notice. Obviously premium car lines like Acura are excluded from the minor details like that because the buyers of those cars usually expect to pay extra for the little stuff anyways.

Passenger

Reaction score
BTW, Rotella 15w40 with FL-1A Motorcraft filter is the only way to go

Maximum95

Reaction score
I change mine every 3k plus or minus two digits. 10w-30 factory recommended. I use Valvoline conventional. Truck motor, that's all it needs. lol

JRad405

Reaction score
I just change my oil every 4.5k or every 4 months with Mobil 1 5w-30. I'm thinking of switching to Amsoil for those 1x a year oil changes.

jojo22

Reaction score
Once a year, switching to Royal Purple with the RP filter this year.

Keep in mind my car doesn't get driven 3K a year, and all miles are within 3-4 months of the oil change, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online