How one can "legally" modify mustang in California?

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
By that I mean I see a bunch of vids on mustang engine/exhaust mods where the owners are in California. How do they pass smog checks? My stock '94 GT did not pass because I had my exhaust manifold powder coated when the engine was rebuilt. I had to convince the tester it was the original manifold. He did retest and pass but are all you guys from the mid-west all your mods?

Not that I am planning anything but just curious

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Not sure you can really do anything in California anymore without knowing a guy that does testing and inspections at their shop, I don't live out there anymore (Haven't in 10 years) but I used a guy in the desert that owned a shop and he just filled out the paperwork and signed off on the visual portion. I only had to get the safety portion completed for the base I was stationed on and I kept my car registered in Illinois which didn't require emissions for anything 95 and older. I would look up StangDomination on youtube and send them a message. They have modified mustangs in Cali.

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Per the way the California regulations are written you were illegal in this stoopid state. That is considered a modified exhaust. I would never go to that smog station again. There are a few around me that refuse to use common sense and apply every rule as written. There are a lot of modifications you can do without issues and a lot that just have to have the CARB EO sticker. Mine is pretty modified and passes smog as long as I do not have the BBK off-road mid-pipe on the car. You just have to be a little extra clever.

Jake

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online