How To Aftermarket Interior Door Handles

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Aftermarket Interior Door Handles

SN95Forums nor I are responsible for damages or improper installation.

Please refer to the instruction (hopefully) included with the kit. This thread should be used as an addition reference to the instructions.

g050J0ml.jpg

The door handles I installed are believed to be from American Muscle. I bought the kit from a local seller unopened. He claimed he order them from American Muscle, but sold the vehicle before installation. The product seems to match up with pictures on their site.

Handles from different manufactures should be similar since they just replace to stock handles.

This installation was done on a 1994 mustang with power windows and locks. I had 2 leftover bolts that had no possible use, the aftermarket handles are a direct replacement and no bolts were removed. The kit is likely a universal kit for different mustangs, new edge may have a different assembly?

Tools needed
Side Cutters
Dremel
Phillips Screwdriver
Flat Head Screwdriver

1. Remove Door Cup
-Insert flat head screw driver into the notch at the top of cup. Wrapping a rag around the screwdriver will prevent scratching.
60cH1ZUl.jpg
xn0kSzal.jpg

2. After popping the door cup out, disconnect power windows/locks/mirrors buttons. I used a Phillips screw driver and simply removed the 2 screws holding the buttons in the housing rather than unplugging from harness.
m1DDrz8l.jpg
HhIpIWvl.jpg

3. Use your Phillips screw driver to take out the two screws holding the door panel.
pD3gvJ6l.jpg

4. Remove the mirror cap. This step is not necessary, but makes life easier and prevents damage. As you can see in the picture I removed it after removing the door panel.
GCVREKtl.jpg

5. Remove the door handle cup with a flathead screwdriver. Again, use a rag to prevent damage.
TA7ODnkl.jpg

6. Now you should be able to take the door panel off by pulling vertically upwards. You may need to persuade the door panel off by wiggling it. As you can see below the door panel is held in with a few L shaped molds.
EqwseiXl.jpg
q8Gvlebl.jpg

7. Now to remove the stock door handles. The handles are held in with a hollow stud. On the bottom you will need to remove the flange with a dremel or bend it with some side cutters. I bent the flange using side cutters.
gmrPmvKl.jpg
6ueVIxXl.jpg

8. Now that you have bent or cut the flange on the bottom you can now remove the stud. I found the side cutters were a good way to grip the stud. You may need to cut or bend more of the flange to make it come through. You may need to use some force to persuade the stud through, but keep in mind the whole door handle assembly attached to the door is plastic! The only disposable part of door handle assembly is the actual plastic door handle and the metal stud, so don’t destroy anything else!

Do not stretch the door cable while removing the handle!

Before remove the stud complete, make note of the spring arrangement! Do not lose the spring.

h45vBEYl.jpg
SiuabZzl.jpg

9. Now that the stud is removed, there will be a cable attached to the bottom of the handle. Do not stretch the door cable! You will notice a slit that the cable will slide out of, similar to the throttle body cable or gas pedal assembly. Position the cable parallel to the slit and slide it out.

mmm 20 year old door goodies.
fKUbFSPl.jpg
TTUcPb6l.jpg

10. Now I bet you didn’t take note of the spring arrangement did you? Neither did I…
You will notice there’s a long and short end extending from the spring.
Do not lose the spring
gk24FFRl.jpg

11. Now you will start installing the new handle!
You will notice the new handle will attach exactly the same.
u462rt9l.jpg
GWwCbkpl.jpg

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]12. Sliding the door cable into the new handle. Do not stretch the cable!
IkNuLisl.jpg
hALytPZl.jpg

13. Now for that spring you didn’t take note of early.

Well, arrange the short side against the door handle and the long side against door side. If you put it in reverse you’ll notice that it’ll stick out past the door handle and look wrong.
hX3vh8Yl.jpg

14. While holding the spring, slide in the new stud with a washer on the top. Make sure the spring gets seated correctly! There’s a notch in the door handle the spring should nicely sit in. If the spring doesn’t seat correctly the door handle won’t work, or the door could open while driving. :deeplist:
lSKvfgFl.jpg
3Rtlz32l.jpg

15. Now this is the only difference between stock and aftermarket. Instead of the flange, there is a small bolt and washer holding the stud in place. Thread the small bolt and washer to the bottom of the stud. Hold the top of the stud (I used the side cutter) and snug the bolt.

Wow, sexy hand!
dwtggA3l.jpg

16. Put the door panel back onto the door. Put the door cup and buttons back in place. Put the mirror cover back on. Leave the handle cup off.
rIHC951l.jpg

17. If you try to put the handle cup back on you will notice it binds with the back-top of the handle. You will need to dremel a small notch or hole to clear the door handle. You won’t be able to see the notch ones installed since it is on the top back of the cup. Keep taking small amount of material out until the cup clears the handle.
W5JQvVzl.jpg
vxdRjB4l.jpg
a7fa3Yvl.jpg

18. Do the other door. [/FONT]:)[FONT=&amp]

Finished result (I will post better pictures within a week!)

WBu9ldYl.jpg
y5munNWl.jpg

Now go out and pick up some girls with your new handles!

If you have any questions, concerns or question please write them down on a piece of paper and shove it!
Kidding! Please reply below or PM me!
[/FONT]:)

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice write up!
About how long did it take you from start to finish?

Maybe a couple hours? Wasn't really timing it.
I've taken the interior apart and put it back together before, so I can do it fairly fast.

The most time confusing thing is removing the stock door handles. Installing the new handles is speedy!

Suspect

Reaction score
nice write up.

man i wonder if those handles would work in my L?! my stock ones look like chit.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
hmmmmm....i never had to dremel out a notch for mine. they are a little pita though lol. that spring was tricky

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was trying to remove my old handles the other day when I was swapping doors. Hmmm, wonder if I should buy billet ones, and hydro dip them in carbon fiber.....

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here's better pictures!

Z1HjBWYl.jpg

lO5xNGvl.jpg

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice man . I've always wanted these just haven't dropped the money on em .

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice man . I've always wanted these just haven't dropped the money on em .

Yeah, IMO they're too expensive... like >$100 +shipping.
I found this set on kijiji, unopened AM for $40. At it was only 10min out of my way on the highway, plus didnt have to pay for shipping :D

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Whoa that's a killer deal man . Yea you definitely scored there

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice write-up, OJ. I'm gonna stick this since it's a fairly popular interior mod.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 4S

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice write-up, OJ. I'm gonna stick this since it's a fairly popular interior mod.
Thank you!

Please don't sticky this thread.
Please add it to Ferocious Directory instead, click here for a link.
There are far too many threads that deserve to be stickied, the directory is a great solution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online