How to break in engine after HCI swap?

Kylebach14

Reaction score
I just finished up a HCI swap and needed to know the break in procedure and oil change schedule. Thanks!

Kboss87

Reaction score
This is from the trick flow twisted wedge install instructions:

To ensure long life and trouble-free usage, allow 2-4 hours of normal driving time before running the engine hard. This allows proper break-in of your valvetrain. If you are also breaking in a new cam, it's a good idea to change the oil after a half hour. This will help to remove the many small particles that are shorn off in the break-in process. After proper break-in is complete, you can use a synthetic oil if you wish. Recommended total timing is from 34 to 36 degrees for maximum power. The best setting will depend on your particular engine combination and ambient conditions

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
So drive it around for about a 100 miles, then change the oil and I'm good to go for another 3000?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Some say 100 then 3000, some say 100 then 500, then 3000. Most people will say run good ole Dino oil with a additive that is made for engine break in. The oil these days doesn't contain the amounts of zinc and phosphorus that is needed to properly allow the engine to "break in".

Use a quality additive like royal purple, red line, Lucas, high end Manf. Don't cheap on this stuff.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got the trickflow break in oil for mine when I started it up. I don't think its absolutely necessary but after spending that much on new gear I was not going to try and save a dollar to end up blowing a lot more.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online