How to build a Max Performance 4.6 by Sean Hyland

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I just read through the intake portion for the 2v...
And saw something that is blasphemy.
Sean Hyland states:

4-5 HP for a 1 inch throttle body spacer.

Is there any validity to this, or should I chuck this book in the trash?

Because the world over 99% call them paper weights...and Sean Hyland put they work in his book.

Not jumping out to buy one.

But plain as day on pages 44-45 he says they do actually add some power.

Sorry for my late night rambling, but if there is any truth in his words, that shatters a lot of criticism.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Both my parents have a 1inch throttle body spacer on their cars. They both have CAI aswell.

My moms 2005 V6 didn't really feel any different from when it just had the CAI, it did add a little whistle sound like a baby supercharger when you rev it up though, lol.

My dads 2007 GT was a different story. His throttle response improved noticeably but not a whole lot, and he doesn't have that whistle that my mom got.

As for HP numbers, we've never put them on the dyno, and they're different engines then the 2v so it may act differently

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Well I always just bought into the paperweight mentality.
But I've been slowly trying to break away from that.
Especially after I put shorties on my 4.0 and while didn't pick up gains at peak, the curve picked up around 8 HP and 12 lbs. So I began questioning a lot of things.
But when I read that, I started googling his credibility.
He comes off as a pretty respectable modular builder.

As for the engine, he was talking about the 2v.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Then what is it that keeps 99% of people away, especially bolt on builds?

It that's true, 50-100 for 4-5 honest hp, yeah that's a bit pricey, but a gain is a gain right?
Again just really confused, that blew my mind to see it say actually helps.

To think of it, I've seen a few GTs with the spacer. But usually just for nitrous.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Ok, just dug it out and looked, it was the intake spacer, my apologies.

Read some more, it seems to actually help with the stock plenum, but the gains are about the same for a new plenum anyway, so perhaps that is why no one uses them.

Why keep the stock crap and add that, when you can do more by replacing them.

I need to start sleeping at night rather than sleep deprived research....

Wichers123

Reaction score
Lol think of it like this. Yeah hp is hp buuuut hp to $ is where it's at. Why spend 150 on a plate that makes 2hp when you spend 300 on a throttle body/plenum for 5hp.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Yeah, it does seem to add power, but on a stock TB/Plenum.
I don't know if it would add anything to an aftermarket one as the big restriction has already been opened.

In theory though, for those dyno queens, if it does indeed work, 80 may not be too bad to get those last 2-4 HP to hit 300.

But that's really a bad return to just have those extra few ponies.

nightfire

Reaction score
Spacers do not work on fuel injected motors. They were created for carbed setups and increases air velocity thus increasing power

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
not a fan of spacers, myself. Not enough solid info out there to support their claims. If i were given one, I'd use it (not on my current build, but on my old 2v).

Intake manifold spacers tend to add more performance, in some cases. BUT, on modern cars they seem to be a novelty item. While doing my build i did research on one for the terminators and found the only company to make them stopped making them. .... when it comes to terminators, its not hard to move product if it works. Just ask Acuufab, Dragon, and kenne bell. If there's tangible results, the entire community erupts. take note: chiller-killer-I/C-A/C-thingies aren't selling well. Nor did intake spacers. There's a reason for that.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I can't say I fully agree, but I'm not going to disagree.

I have yet to ever see a before and after dyno with either an intake or tb spacer on ANY newer mustang. 3.8, 3.9, 4.0, 4.6, 4v 5.0
So that leaves alot to be said.

But I was blown away to read that in my book.
So I had to ask, as somewhere, someone has to actually have one and have tried.

But I agree with what witcher said. Why spend the 80+ on 2-4 hp, when while you are taking it apart you could just throw the new TB and plenum.
Sean Hyland(can't say I take his word as gospel, but he does know more than I) stated on a STOCK application.

So perhaps the intake spacer does work, just no one would stop at just an intake spacer then run off and get dyno'd???
But as mentioned, I do see the spacers used for N2O.

That's about it haha

Aside from this one little thing, the rest pretty much backs up everything I've ever read on the net about the 2v.
It's a really good read, aside from that paragraph about the intake spacer.

nightfire

Reaction score
That's because the spacer serves as the injection point for the N20 lol

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The Intake spacer he speaks of is old school as in before aftermarket 2V plenums existed. We used them with our stock setups and they did gain 2-3 hp and Steeda had the nicest one for @$60 or so. Once C&L put out the replacement plenums the spacer became obsolete because the added height was built in.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We also were porting the stock uppers so with a spacer and 75mm tb we were picking up a few hp.

We would take anything we could get back then because there was very little available for 4.6's.

Hyland was one of the first modular builders.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
OK, so it wasn't smoke and mirrors, just obsolete.
Guess the 2v world has come quite a ways.
Too bad it was overshadowed by the 3v.

I remember the brochure and thought:
A bottom level GT with the same HP and more TQ than a Cobra(speaking of course about the 01 back.)

Then when the 5.0 was being announced, ford dumped the 400 HP kit on the 4.6 crowd. A bit overpriced as others had done the same for a bit less.
But I bought it because it was ALL ford running my internals and it made amazing power. Got me over the itch for a 5.0 considering my GT was paid and made a few more than a stock one.

I surprised a few new 5.0s on the street.
Then they started modding them :(

Since then, I decided a v8 of any sorts would make me happy. At least it'd sound good.
So if I never see 300 in my 2v, that's fine. As long as it's fun to drive.
But that doesn't mean bolt ons and cams can't be done ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online