How to clean the inside of fog light?

bleroy

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 97 GT and one of the fog lights is dirty (inside) and makes it appear dim. I replaced the bulbs with the 50 watt 885 bulbs but it's still the same on that one. Is there anyway to clean the inside? And if so, how? I tried searching and came up with no results that addressed my issue. Thanks in advance! If not, I'm sure I can find some in the classified section. :rolleyes:

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How sure are you that they're dirty on the inside? Not oxidation on the outside?

If theyre dirty on the inside I have no idea how'd you clean them without disassembly. But if dirt can get inside they're not very good anymore... Id just get a new set.

OP
OP
B

bleroy

Reaction score
How sure are you that they're dirty on the inside? Not oxidation on the outside?

If theyre dirty on the inside I have no idea how'd you clean them without disassembly. But if dirt can get inside they're not very good anymore... Id just get a new set.

Not 100 percent but I'm fairly sure. I'll check and make sure . I figured I'd just get new ones if I couldn't disassemble them.

chris91

Reaction score
When I had mine off for bumper repaint we just soaked em in a soapy water solution and shook them a good deal to get anything out. It worked great.

JKady

Reaction score
Fill em with soap/water and some BB's then shake. The o-rings on the bulbs leak and they eventually fill up with crud, when I removed mine both were full to the top with dirty water.

Barner1

Reaction score
fill them up hot water & soap then get a toothbrush. Bend the toothbrush head to whatever angle you need and then scrub away. Thats how I took care of mine

OP
OP
B

bleroy

Reaction score
Okay I did just check to make sure and it is indeed on the inside. Thanks for all the help, I'm going to try that in the morning. I'll post progress and final result tomorrow!

OP
OP
B

bleroy

Reaction score
Before
yva60aR.jpg

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
also i dont know if it applies to these, but for my 1972 coupe headlights, people talked about baking them, having the glue melt and take it apart like that, dont recommend this, but its an idea

derry96gt

Reaction score
Hi new to forum would easier to replace them replaced both mine under fifty bucks from american muscle and got the ultra clear ones which where brighter and got my smoked headlights at same time

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i just did this on my fog lights op. like yesterday lol.

bake them at 275 for 15 mins. then pry apart with flat head. it's kinda tough but uou can get them apart and get them like new.

wetsand and buffed the lens and then smoked them.

33mr893.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online