How to fix peeling clear coat/ oxidied machined wheel lips???

9838stang

Reaction score
A couple of years a ago i acquired my fr500s off of craigslist. At the time i was pretty happy with how they wheels looks, mainly because now i had a highly desired wheels set for cheap. When i got them all 4 lips were curbed, all 4 lips have some sort of clear coat issue on the lips. and one of the wheels had a bent lip.

Well after rocking these wheels for a year. I went to a friend of a friends place to have two of the worst wheels fixed. They are currently up front now and look awesome! Before i had them done i looked around and talked to people that had their wheels done by other wheel repair places. Well the guy who had done my wheels is the best in the twin cities and does great work and has a great turn around time. I took one wheel that had the bent lip and one wheel that had really back clear coat issues to him. He looked at the bent wheel and said that it was cracked and he could repair it and repowder coat the wheels for 370 and mount the new tires to them.

Well i thought that was a great deal. and the other two wheels looked fine so i rocked those for another 2 years. well the clear coat that has failed or that was failing was getting to me and i took the other two wheels to him today. Well after talking to him over the email, I didnt send him any picture of the wheels. he had said that he could refinished them for 200 each. I tought huh ok well maybe ill do that. Now this back in october when i talked to him last.

Well i took them him and left them for him to get back to me since he was really busy. Well he called me back and told them that it would cost 500 to re coat the wheels. Plus mounting and balancing the tires. I said wow tell you what just mount the tires and ill get back to you on them.

I personally cant believe it went up that much. I think it cost me 140-150 per wheel to have them refinished last time and another 80-85 to have the lip welded in. But i cant believe it went up $100 per wheel.

Any who, any tricks on fixing the machined lip? basically, the wheels just look oxidized, I do not see/ feel any clear missing. It is two to three small spots on each wheel about the size of a 1/8" ball bearing. I dont want to polish them, i just wanna get them back to the machined look. I'll try to see if i have any pictures on how they look....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
pretty sure you would need to strip the clear and sand/polish them and clear again. if the aluminum is oxidizing below the clear you will need to get down to the metal to clean it, or paint it.

Ineedav8

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with my staggered fr's i was thinking of brazing the really bad pieces after blasting the original clear off and powder smooth them out then sort of replicate the finish in some way

chris91

Reaction score
A very easy way to polish the lips of your wheels is to put them on the rear and put the rear up in the air on stands. Put the car in gear while running and take a piece of sand paper and hold it in one spot. The car just turned into your own lathe! Done it a couple times and know quite a few people that have as well.

Wild Horses

Reaction score
A very easy way to polish the lips of your wheels is to put them on the rear and put the rear up in the air on stands. Put the car in gear while running and take a piece of sand paper and hold it in one spot. The car just turned into your own lathe! Done it a couple times and know quite a few people that have as well.

BRILLIANT. Gonna set my lathe up tomorrow. My lips need polished as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online