How To Get Better 60 Ft. Times Out Of An SN

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums so this is my first post! I have a 94 Cobra with the mods. listed in my sig. Anyways, I've taken it to the strip at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway a couple times when I've been out there, but have been super disappointed by the times I ran with all the modifications I have done.

The best time I've run is a 15.278 at 96.64 mph with a 2.717 60 ft., which would be a 14.927 at 98.97 mph corrected for elevation :wtf2:. I know I'm not the best driver in the world and cars are known for running slow in Las Vegas, but I know this car can do way better than a 2.717 60 ft...

The car always bogs really bad off the line. I know the F303 doesn't start making power until fairly high rpm so I think that is part of the issue. Also, I have a rear end girdle, UPR upper and lower rear control arms, 275s, and welded axles so I'm wondering if the rear end is too stiff? I've read going back to stock upper rear control arms and a progressive rate aftermarket spring may help since the Cobra comes with linear rate springs, and it has the originals with 141K miles on the chasis.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Better tire and driver mod...drag radials or slicks. Launch it hard so it doesnt bog i have to launch at 4k+ or i bog bad.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

wildman97

Reaction score
Even with a stock tire you can do better than a 2.7 60 ft, you need to practice more. I'm in Oceanside too.. what track did you run at?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Even with a stock tire you can do better than a 2.7 60 ft, you need to practice more. I'm in Oceanside too.. what track did you run at?

For sure...you should be able to pull 2.0-2.2 range pretty easily on street tires.

OP
OP

94mustangsvt

Reaction score

Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Cars are notorious for running slow times out there as well. I think the 2,200 ft. elevation and heat doesn't help matters. My car does always feel sluggish there. That is a clean looking 97 by the way. I live near North River Rd. and Douglas.

RichV

Reaction score
2200 ft, lol at you from mile high.

Tires. What tires you running? 2.7 is horrible. If you can drop that by .7, you can take that .7 off the big end.

OP
OP

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
2200 ft, lol at you from mile high.

Tires. What tires you running? 2.7 is horrible. If you can drop that by .7, you can take that .7 off the big end.

Everything I've read says .1 improvement in 60 ft. equals .15 or .2 improvement in the quarter so could be as much as a 1.4 second improvement in the quarter with a 2.0 60 ft., which sounds close to where it should be. I'm running Nitto NT555 275s.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Everything I've read says .1 improvement in 60 ft. equals .15 or .2 improvement in the quarter so could be as much as a 1.4 second improvement in the quarter with a 2.0 60 ft., which sounds close to where it should be. I'm running Nitto NT555 275s.

Depends...sometimes when you have awful 60 foot like 2.7 it doesnt work out to that much. But probably a second of et there

Racsirx

Reaction score
I am assuming that's all your modifications in your sig, you should be in the 12s with all that, when you had it dyno tuned, did you have the electric fans turn on sooner and get rid of the timing retard that's in these cars when you shift? What did you set the pinion angle at when you put the control arms in? I like a negative 2 degrees for street/strip, nothing wrong with stock springs but I would cut one coil off the rear springs to help with a better center of gravity or get some TeamZ or Baseline relocating upper control arms, also I would get strange struts & shocks and a MSD two step to help with launch and some slicks or drag radials, and don't forget to power shift.

Racsirx

Reaction score
Better center of gravity is the key, here is my 94 convertible with a 331, 150 shot and it was an automatic, and I had to cut the rear springs to get a better center of gravity that was before the relocating upper control arms came out

dsc_0248.jpg

dsc_0230.jpg

dsc_0240.jpg

dsc_0189.jpg

dsc_0242.jpg

OP
OP

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
I am assuming that's all your modifications in your sig, you should be in the 12s with all that, when you had it dyno tuned, did you have the electric fans turn on sooner and get rid of the timing retard that's in these cars when you shift? What did you set the pinion angle at when you put the control arms in? I like a negative 2 degrees for street/strip, nothing wrong with stock springs but I would cut one coil off the rear springs to help with a better center of gravity or get some TeamZ or Baseline relocating upper control arms, also I would get strange struts & shocks and a MSD two step to help with launch and some slicks or drag radials, and don't forget to power shift.

When I had it dyno tuned he did make it so the fans come on sooner and got rid of the timing retard. I had a driveline shop set the pinion angle. What is an MSD two step?

Racsirx

Reaction score
When I had it dyno tuned he did make it so the fans come on sooner and got rid of the timing retard. I had a driveline shop set the pinion angle. What is an MSD two step?

What did they set the pinion angle at? MSD two step is a launch control, loading the motor at different rpms to help with launch, helped me get into the 9s.

Racsirx

Reaction score
You are making 286rwhp and running 96mph? Something is wrong, I think you need a better tuner, it should be 107-110mph with all your mods and making more than 286rwhp, that's only 337 flywheel HP, what cubic inch is your level 10 block and compression? I made 358rwhp & 376rwtq with my 306 but it had 10.5:1 compression and had bigger heads, intake, cam and exhaust than you, but you still should me at least 20rwhp more than what you have

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dude that's horrible ... Either you drive like my grandma or I don't really have anything else to say ... My stock npi 2v with 3.73's would run 13.80's all day on et street slicks at 96-97mph and I'm willing to bet it only made 200rwhp if I was lucky ... #2 you can't blame the elevation on losing a solid 10mph in the 1/4 . #3 what are you doing off the line letting it fly at 3500rpm on street tires ?

OP
OP

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
You are making 286rwhp and running 96mph? Something is wrong, I think you need a better tuner, it should be 107-110mph with all your mods and making more than 286rwhp, that's only 337 flywheel HP, what cubic inch is your level 10 block and compression? I made 358rwhp & 376rwtq with my 306 but it had 10.5:1 compression and had bigger heads, intake, cam and exhaust than you, but you still should me at least 20rwhp more than what you have

It would have been 99 mph at sea level and with around a 2.0 60 ft, would have been close to that mph range. The F303 is the biggest problem with my setup. It starts making power at too high of RPM and the 114 LSA sucks. My brother has desktop dyno, and the E303 actually makes about 20 more horsepower than an F303 due to the far superior 110 LSA. I'm going to be switching to the E303 and longtubes soon, and I bet I'll make close to 320 wheel and the low end will be wayyyyy better.

I made 322 rwhp and 338 rwtq on almost the exact same setup as I have now with a 1994 GT I had before, but with the E303 and longtubes. Also, that was with a stock bottom end. My current motor is a 306 with about 9.8:1 compression.

OP
OP

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
Dude that's horrible ... Either you drive like my grandma or I don't really have anything else to say ... My stock npi 2v with 3.73's would run 13.80's all day on et street slicks at 96-97mph and I'm willing to bet it only made 200rwhp if I was lucky ... #2 you can't blame the elevation on losing a solid 10mph in the 1/4 . #3 what are you doing off the line letting it fly at 3500rpm on street tires ?

As I just said the F303 is the biggest problem in my setup due to it making power at high rpm. If you calculate in the gear ratios in the TKO with my taller than stock tires, I basically have the equivalent of stock gearing with a T5. I'd need around a 4.56 gear for the car to not bog to high heaven with the current setup with the F303. Hence, that is why the cam is getting the boot soon.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
As I just said the F303 is the biggest problem in my setup due to it making power at high rpm. If you calculate in the gear ratios in the TKO with my taller than stock tires, I basically have the equivalent of stock gearing with a T5. I'd need around a 4.56 gear for the car to not bog to high heaven with the current setup with the F303. Hence, that is why the cam is getting the boot soon.

Dude my old setup with iron heads had a f-303 so I don't say that your problem ...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
My car trapped 108 mph with iron heads and f303 so the cam isn't ur problem ... The trans is ur main issue I know another buddy lost 12mph when he went to a tko

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online