How to get on-track

RichV

Reaction score
Through the years on SNF as well as other forums I've been asked "How do I get on track?" So I'd like to inagurate this section to tell you guys/gals how.

It's really as simple as finding a track, and going. Just like a drag strip, you pay, pass tech, and drive.

THE TRACK:
Most tracks these days have a website, find it, and find out their calendar. Find their open track day schedule and get registered. There will most likely be some rules for tech and experience. If you have no experience, don't tuck your tail between your legs, we've all been there. You may be required to take a safety class which may or may not be onsite and/or additional $. Once you have done this, you can be in the experienced group, and should not have to do it again. The class will explain basics about passing, do-s and dont's, may cover caution flags, and explain what behavior will get you thrown out of the facility.

Tech rules will be similar as with any motorsport, safe driving vehicle, working seat belts, no fluids puking out, good tires, battery hold-down, and a helmet. Some may require you to put a # on both doors, masking tape is acceptable.

CAR PREP:
The biggest misconception with novice drivers is the need to modify this, or that before they do their track day. Don't worry about it. Your car's ability will be much greater than your own until you get some seat time. Focus on passing tech. Make sure you have a helmet that meets requirements, good tires, decent life on brake pads, and do any maintenance that needs done. In addition, I would recomment a complete flush of brake fluid from the master to each corner. You don't want to find out what boiling brake fluid feels like your 1st time out, just get a good DOT4 synthetic if you can, if not, just changing it is fine.

ON TRACK:
If you're lucky and can find some online vids of your track, view them, several times. Or even luckier and can drive 'your track' on Forza, start driving. Learn the line as best as possible before you actualy go. First time at a new track, or first time period, is very draining. You have a million things going through your head as well as trying to keep an eye on gauges, other cars, corner stations, and staying on your line. Don't worry about winning your track day, just be safe, and learn:
#1 the track and performance driving
#2 what your car likes, and does not like (in terms or turning and braking)

DONT FORGET:
Dumb stuff people forget, then it eats your track time:
-Fuel, gas up before you get there, bring some more if you need to. Track fuel is $8-10/gal, and may not even be available.
-Clean your car, if you roll up and take out a cooler, small toolbox, and floormats it's much easier than disconnecting speakerboxes and removing 50lbs of crap.
-Hydrate, bring plenty of water and drink it. If you're not peeing every hour, you're not drinking enough.
-Maintenance, if your car has some issues, fix them. Chances of getting your registration fees back if you break down is like hell freezing over.

GET ON TRACK WITH A CLUB:
You can also look into local chapters of SCCA, NASA, PCA, BMWCCA, etc. Some may be car specific, but that does not mean you can't drive with them. If you only have a choice of BMWCCA in your area, contact them, and get on track. A lot of car clubs also do open track days that they rent the track and will allow you to start there. Again, you may not even have a car the club represents, but they typicaly need the entry fees from as many cars as possible, so they'll accomodate. The Z-Car Club of Colorado asked me a few months back to come to their track day with my Mustang. The NASA HPDE program is a great way to get started, they cater to novice through experienced by splitting the HPDE groups by experience. As you get better you move through the HPDE ranks and can eventualy compete with Time Trials (TT) or Wheel to Wheel Racing (W2W).

Ask any questions you guys/gals have. I'll try and dig up a FAQ I once put together for this as well. I know this section is technicaly for racing, but I feel this thread will help people get on-track rather then getting lost in the sea of threads in other sections.

Thanks for reading!!

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Found my FAQ. It's geared more towards NASA events since that's my best experience.

My main experience is through NASA (National Auto Sport Association). They have many DE (Driver Education) events through the season which also piggyback to racing and TT (Time Trials).

HPDE vs Racing
First off, lets clarify the difference. HPDE is a controlled and safe environment where the cars run single file on the track with each other. This is not racing. You are not running for points or position, simply for fun. Passing is very controlled and there are rules set forth before anyone goes on track. Street vehicles will be classified in a HPDE group, but race vehicles CAN also run HPDE (with HPDE rules, of course). Racing (also referred to as Wheel to Wheel Racing) is a no-holds barred speed contest for position. There are also rules for racing, but if you get to that point and want to W2W race, you will find the info you need. Racing requires much more safety equipment for you and the car, also class requirements for the vehicle based on rules set forth by the race series. Street legal vehicles are RARELY in W2W.

1. Can anyone do HPDE?
Any licensed driver can do an Open Track Event. You must have a NASA membership to do NASA events. You will be running in a HPDE (High Performance Driver Event/Education) group that suits your experience level (1-4).
2. Can any car be eligible for HPDE?
Most cars can run on the track. Sport trucks or modified trucks need specific permission from the HPDE Director before running in HPDE. Most vehicles driven at events are sports cars, muscle cars, kit cars, and race cars. But sedans and open wheel cars are allowed as well. Convertibles need a roll bar, check to make sure your Convertible is OK before signing up the 1st time.
3. Will my car need to pass a HPDE Safety Inspection?
Yes. As in any other form of racing your car must be deemed track safe. There are different requirements for open wheel, Verts, and hardtops. Mostly, you will need good tires and brakes (standard OEM is just fine), functional seat belts, battery hold down, no leaks from motor/drive train, empty trunk/hatch area, functional steering/brakes, and battery post covers (pos. and neg.). You can get a free inspection from any Rocky Mountain NASA approved tech station. It is highly recommended that you have your car inspected one to two weeks before the event so if there is anything wrong you will have time to get it fixed.
4. What safety gear do I need for HPDE?
You will need a helmet rated M or SA with the minimum year (00 currently). Full face or open face are acceptable. Good idea to have some driving gloves and soft sole shoes, not required but recommended.
5. How is a typical HPDE event/day with NASA?
For HPDE you absolutely MUST come with an open mind, willingness to learn, and be ready to have the time of your life. The day starts with a 8:00am sharp meeting (Don't be late or you will surely get a little talking to) and the basic track etiquette rules, flags, do-s/don't-s, and any pertinent information to the day (weather, track problems, last minute schedule changes, etc.) are discussed. HPDE1/2 group get a longer meeting because the basics are discussed in more detail typically with a track map, where the hazards are, tricky turns, and general driver information. From then, it is your responsibility to be on grid at the right time before your group. If in HPDE1 you will have an instructor assigned to you and they will help coach you around the track for the day, next day your instructor will most likely be someone else to get another point of view. The instructor will meet you at grid and be your passenger. First lap or 2 are typically warm-up laps on full course yellow (no passing, notice flag stations, start learning layout of the track). Once yellow is lifted passing zones (explained in morning meeting) are in effect and you may pass ONLY if driver ahead of you signals. This will be more clear in the meeting. Track sessions are generally 20 minutes each, you will go out 4 times per day.
6. Do I need upgraded brakes/suspension?
Absolutely not. Your car's ability is much greater than your own. Good mechanical and driving condition is all you need. Upgraded brakes and suspension will come once you learn to recognize where your vehicle is lacking.
7. I need more power.
No you don't. Horsepower is difficult to control on a road course. You need to know how to drive before you can make full use of power. Learning to drive with a small bore car is much easier than a car with mass power and torque. A beginner with powerful car needs to respect the power and be very cautious with power application. HPDE 1/2 are not allowed transponders so you cannot compare lap times to other cars. This is on purpose so you concentrate on driving rather than being 'fast'.

I will be adding to the list as more Q's pop up.

www.nasarockymountain.com to get involved.

NASA CCR (Club Codes and Regulations) This document explains all details of conduct.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
7. I need more power.
No you don't. Horsepower is difficult to control on a road course. You need to know how to drive before you can make full use of power. Learning to drive with a small bore car is much easier than a car with mass power and torque. A beginner with powerful car needs to respect the power and be very cautious with power application.

ruh roh... My beginner HPDE ride has a 410w!!

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Just take it easy. Don't think you're all that and a bag of chips. You'll be humbled when that 100HP miata is on your ass like white on rice, then passes.

Just focus on being smooth, brake-shift then turn, and hit your apexes. When the big day?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Just take it easy. Don't think you're all that and a bag of chips. You'll be humbled when that 100HP miata is on your ass like white on rice, then passes.

Just focus on being smooth, brake-shift then turn, and hit your apexes. When the big day?

I had hoped to attend one next month but I'll be working 7 days at that time... I am fully prepared to be clowned by Miatas, its already happened :)

Tommy92

Reaction score
Any oil leak even very tiny is a fail on tech exam right? I got a little bugger that's leaking maybe two drops a day that I've been worried about when it came to tech inspection.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Any oil leak even very tiny is a fail on tech exam right? I got a little bugger that's leaking maybe two drops a day that I've been worried about when it came to tech inspection.

Pffft, you're good man. If it leaves a noticeable spot while they're teching you, the MAY mention it.

Tommy92

Reaction score
Pffft, you're good man. If it leaves a noticeable spot while they're teching you, the MAY mention it.

Alright, Ill just wipe my sway bar with a cloth a bit before I get tech so they won't even know lol! Small oil leaks are a ***** to find!

Thanks for the information by the way, I'm new to this whole road racing thing.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
N/P, that's what I'm here for. Ask away if you're not sure.

That 1st time out can be a little intimidating if you have zero idea of what to expect. But I assure you, once you take a hit off that crack pipe you'll be adicted.

Tommy92

Reaction score
Haha I know I will, I've always loved the idea of road racing. But kind of pricy for a session so I won't be going as often as I wish to. It's 190 a day here.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Haha I know I will, I've always loved the idea of road racing. But kind of pricy for a session so I won't be going as often as I wish to. It's 190 a day here.

Yea, it seems like a lot. But once you learn you can't live without it you'll be hawking the old lady's jewlery for track time. :)

j/k, but seriously NASA RM (not sure if every region does this) gives working options too. So if you work 2 weekends (not really work, hanging out at the track is more like it), you get a weekend of driving. So out of pocket is a big, fat, huge, zero dollars.

Road racing tastes like filet mignon and I've only completed two laps!!

That's where it all starts. lol

My 1st time was with my Foxbody, signed up for 1 day. Next thing you know I was running HPDE2 with a caged r-comp tire BMW running down Corvettes. Then they kicked me up to HPDE3 where I was being chumped by lesser cars. Then got my competition license, and here we are a few years later. If you love it, you find a way.

Tommy92

Reaction score
Yea, it seems like a lot. But once you learn you can't live without it you'll be hawking the old lady's jewlery for track time. :)

j/k, but seriously NASA RM (not sure if every region does this) gives working options too. So if you work 2 weekends (not really work, hanging out at the track is more like it), you get a weekend of driving. So out of pocket is a big, fat, huge, zero dollars.

That's where it all starts. lol

My 1st time was with my Foxbody, signed up for 1 day. Next thing you know I was running HPDE2 with a caged r-comp tire BMW running down Corvettes. Then they kicked me up to HPDE3 where I was being chumped by lesser cars. Then got my competition license, and here we are a few years later. If you love it, you find a way.

NASA doesn't have a lot of racing scheduled for my local track. I'll have to race through Speed Ventures.

I think I'm going to get started with autocross first since it is a lot cheaper then move up that way.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
What's your local track? Most of the schedule is relatively close to LA. Work some out of town events, then drive your local one. A road race season is usualy a bunch of tracks, sometimes in different states. I know it can get expensive once you start driving for points or racing, but HPDE lets you pick whatever events suit your schedule and finances. But driving to a track is a must. I got lucky to have 3 tracks within 100 miles of my house, the TX guys drive 400+ miles to almost every event.

A quick NASA so-cal 2013 schedule search:

Feb 9/10- Chuckwalla *TT & HPDE Feature Event* / Test&Tune for Race = *no race points*
March 2/3- Auto Club Speedway
April 6/7-- Buttonwillow
May 4/5- Willow Springs
June 1/2- Buttonwillow
July 6/7- Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (105 dBA)- NorCal Crossover *Race & TT Only*
Aug 3/4- Auto Club Speedway
Oct 12/13- Buttonwillow

Tommy92

Reaction score
I live relatively close to AAA auto club speedway in Fontana, CA. The second closest is Willowsprings, 2 hours away. Not sure I want to drive up there twice back to back lol, it'll cost me more than 100 dollars for gas and it makes more sense to pay 90 bucks more and not spend 2 weekends.

I might want to work at Auto Club Speedway just for fun though, what kind of work do you do?

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Like work for NASA? Typicaly they have you do corner working, you work a corner of the race track. Wave flags and report track/car problems. They also need people to work tech, help check for race class legalities, or verify peoples cars are OK to run the track. Then they have people in timing/scoring making sure transponders are hitting the beacons and recording lap times. You get rained on your job really well, or you work with someone experienced in the task. If the event or track is not local to you, they will pay for a shared hotel with another worker. And if you work, it makes sense to hook a carpool with other workers coming from your area. Get on their forums and start to mingle, everyone is really cool and most are gear heads.

In the RM region, all workers' lunches are included and they are welcome to the Saturday night party. Usualy catered and free adult beverages. So it's really just a Saturday night party with some racing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online