How To: Headlight Restoration Write-Ups

G

GREG@SN95

Okay... This is very easy. I did this write-up to try and help out the regular guys that don't have a $200 buffer etc... I did this entirely by hand and it only took an hour or so. Take your time and you will have like new lights.

Here's what you need.
1. Various sandpapers ranging from wet/dry 800-2000grits
2. Rubbing compound
3. Polish
4. wax
5. Applicator pad & clean rag or microfiber,
6. Water
7. Backing pad

To help you understand exactly what we're doing here I'll explain the problem. Overtime, just about every substance undergoes a process called oxidation. Metals, paints, plastics, you name it. The yellow foggy look you have on your lights is an example of oxidation. The only way to get rid of it is to remove a fine layer of oxidized plastic until you reach clean non-oxidized plastic. Your average rubbing compound usually isn't aggressive enough to remove the amount of plastic needed, worst case scenario you will need to use an 800 grit sandpaper.

Here is where we start.
l_68390021c9f34903a060a428f48b524e.jpg

First make sure the headlight is clean and free from dirt and such. I chose to dry sand starting with 1200grit. It is very important that you don't sand with just your fingers and the paper or you will remove more material in some areas (where your fingers are) then others. You MUST use a soft backing pad. I used a scotch-brite pad. If 1200grit doesn't cut it, then try 1000grit, if that doesn't work try 800 grit. You should not need to exceed 800 grit.

l_275f2a02422f4208922187448c0c41c7.jpg

l_9b49b11e2a524612a054139316a3c041.jpg

Now with light pressure begin sanding in one direction back and forth until you no longer see yellow hazy looking plastic. Once you are finished that the oxidation is gone, however you now have tons of scratches on the plastic. The next steps remove that.

From this point you need to dry sand with 1500, then dry sand 2000. The last sanding step is to wet sand with 2000 grit. Take your time, make sure the backing pad or whatever you are using is between the paper and you fingers, and don't apply too much pressure, you almost barely just touch the surface. If you started off at 800 grit lets say, then you would follow by sanding with 1000 and so on and end with wet sanding 2000.

By the time you are done sanding, your headlight should look like this.

l_9cfcf510403c47f9bbc6e7fdfdbadec2.jpg

Now we need to finish removing those very fine scratches... I used Poorboy's SSR3 as my rubbing compound, SSR2 for the polish, and their polish/sealant to protect the headlight from oxidizing again in the near future. You can use any rubbing compound polish and wax that you have or prefer whether its turtle wax or 3M. It really doesn't matter...

l_37f57deb9e6a4ace980fe0782dde00ff.jpg

Now apply some rubbing compound to your applicator and in a circular motion with medium pressure begin working the compound evenly into the plastic. Do not allow it to dry, continue working the compound until it is near gone and wipe the headlight clean with a rag. Most scratches should be gone, if not, repeat until they are and only very fine scratches are left.

Repeat the procedure with a polish of your choice exactly the same way until those fine scratches are gone. At this point, all scratches and oxidation is removed. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure thats how they say. Use the wax of your preference at directed on the bottle and be sure to regularly do this as you wax your car.

Here should your finished product.

l_a10b2b95475a415285410f0a391a9cfb.jpg

I kinda half assed this just to get it done. I am pretty busy and didn't get paid to do this. The only reason I did this was to help out you guys. This wasn't the best headlight to choose to fix too since they were full of moisture, buts its all that was available at the time. If you follow this procedure, you will have headlights that look like handz detailed them.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Vere nice detail write-up.
now i can do the ones on my DD.

Thank you Greg!

Drsuce

Reaction score
Its my first real write-up so be kind :)

Here's the drivers side OEM headlight from 1996. The UV coating is peeling off and making a mess, the lenses are milky white and it looks like it needs replacing... right? :sad5:
IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Another thing with SN95 headlights is they have those stupid little tits on them! You know, the ones that you always crush a finger on when your washing your car? I will be removing them aswell, heres a pic of what i mean
IMG_0826.jpg

I used a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to remove the tits. Heres the first pic of the tits shaved off. WARNING: Be very carefull when your using a dremel tool, use eye protection and DO NOT remove too much of the tit. If you go too deep you will NOT be able to sand it out.
IMG_0827.jpg

and to the side
IMG_0828.jpg

One more for good measure
IMG_0829.jpg

The Lenses were then block sanded with 800 grit. Focus on removing the remainder of the tits before you work on the lens. Remove all the factory UV coating and any defects you want gone. Here are some pics having everything completly sanded down with 800 grit

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

Tits gone!!!
IMG_0833.jpg

Repeat the process with 1000 grit and 1500 grit if you see fit. I left it at 1000 grit as i am able to fully remove 1000 grit marks easily!

Lets polish the lens clear again!
I used my Flex 3401VRG using orange and white pads with 3 diffrent polishes.
I started off with an orange pads with menzerna powergloss.Defects were still vizible so i moved on to a gentler menzerna super intensive polish using a fresh orange pad. The defects are now 100% gone, now all i needed to do was add clerity and some pop. i used my white pad with menzerna P085RD. The results speak for themself. The lens is now clearer than factory, titsless and lookin awesome!

Enjoy!
IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

Those dots are just dust!
IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great Job!!! Mine came out exactly the same way. I left the Stubs on my headlights but have considered removing them.

Drsuce

Reaction score
I hate those damn tits! I swear to god i hit one head on with a finger every time i washed my car! I shaved them off both my SN's :)

CanaryGT

Reaction score
lol titters... Those came out nice! I just finished polishing mine yesterday and they came out great!

Dr Fildo

Reaction score
This is awesome! Can the same method be used on the instrument cluster plastic?

Sinned83

Reaction score
Here is a set that I did last week. Sanded them down and used megs ultimate compound then swirl x and some jetseal.
DSC01310.jpg

DSC01311.jpg

mustangspartan

Reaction score

BlackJack95

Reaction score
hey all i used was meguiar's PlastiX polish and Fraceula' compound. first i hit the lenses with the compound by hand, both in a back and forth and a circular motion. wiped them clean. then i took the plastiX and polished them up. came out really nice with no need for sanding.
Note: wouldnt work well to remove deep scratches, but just for fading it worked awesome

my $.02 :)

wytstang

Reaction score
Cleaned up my cobra lenses with 3m restore kit except I used Menzerna's SIP instead of 3m's compound
IMG_0344Medium.jpg

nice and frosty
IMG_0345Medium.jpg

starting the fine sanding
IMG_0346Medium.jpg

After they were hit with Menzerna SIP
IMG_0350Medium.jpg

Love the gloss SIP produces
IMG_0348Medium.jpg

Both done
IMG_0351Medium.jpg

Javi