How To: Install a hardwired FM Modulator

Cpotts13

Reaction score
First off I would like to say I am writing this how to based off of the help a fellow member, Red, who did the install and taught me how to do it while I documented it.

Disclaimer: This is confirmed to work on the Mach 460/1000 of 2001+ double din head units. Like with all modifications, proceed at your own risk. I nor Red are responsible for any mishaps.

HOW TO: Install a hardwired FM modulator

Parts you will need:

- iSimple IS31 Antenna Bypass FM Modulator ($24 @ Amazon)
- iSimple IS335 Dash Mountable Auxiliary Input Adapter ($11 @ Amazon)

Tools needed:

- 1/4in socket set
- Drill
- Drill bits
- Multimeter
- Electrical tape
- Fresh razor blades

Step 1:

Unscrew the shift knob, set aside. Grab under the shift boot and gently pry upwards. The trim surrounding the shifter is held on by clips and will easily pop off. Disconnect the cigarette lighter connection.

02_zpsu4c71kak.jpg

Step 2:

Grab underneath the traction control/fog lights/defrost buttons and gently pry upwards working your way around the trim surrounding the stereo. This to is held on with clips. Once loose disconnect the traction control/fog light/defrost switches.

03_zpsnubkaqhy.jpg

Step 3:

Using your socket set remove the 2 bolts holding the stereo in place, slide it out, disconnect all the harnesses from the rear and set aside. It should look like this when done.

06_zpshey8tzgw.jpg

30e1f2d5-6a47-4a11-a2f7-e46045165ace_zpsxmjnnwav.jpg

Step 4:

Open your armrest and remove contents. At the very bottom, under the felt overlay, there will be two bolts holding the inside container in place. Using the socket set remove the bolt and lift container out. With the container midway out rotate it so you can disconnect the cigarette lighter from it. Set aside for later.

15_zps9hou0tga.jpg

Step 5:

Moving back to the head unit area, locate the wiring harness on the far drivers side. There will be two wires that we will need to splice into on this harness. The red/black will be your power and the green/black will be your ground. The red/black power wire is only powered when the radio is on. NOTE: there was 2 green/black wires in my harness, i used the one on the opposite side from the red/black on the top row.

07_zpswzfraoyf.jpg

4599d7ae-7cba-4a4d-9aa4-fda45d45e656_zps8iiw903p.jpg

Step 6:

Slice away the outer part of the wire with the razor blade about 1 inch up from the pigtail until it is bare wire. Using the razor, part the wire in the middle like this.. Now would be a good time to confirm that the red/black is power (with radio on) and the green/black is the ground. A multimeter can be used for this.

6d34ff47-18d0-4dbf-bff1-4140e89e4fee_zpsgjc6zp5x.jpg

4413b11c-2441-406c-b80f-d64f2a10cef0_zps7ttwv8qy.jpg

Step 7:

On the IS31 the power wire (red) has an inline fuse and a power on/off switch. You can choose to mount the on/off switch somewhere at a later time, I however placed the switch in the ON position and tucked it behind the dash. Slip the red wire in the IS31 through the red/black wire on the harness and twist together. Slip the black wire on the IS31 through the green/black wire on the harness and twist together. Wrap bothe the red/black and green/black wires individually in electrical tape then wrap all wires together in electrical tape.

d81082d0-a21d-4495-954f-5ea9038358b8_zps8bu3df02.jpg

Step 8:

Plug the factory antenna (orange wire) into the IS31. Connect the RCA adapter included in the IS335 kit into the IS31.

Step 9:

Choose the location you want to mount the aux input, for me i chose inside the armrest. At the location you chose, drill an appropriate sized hole to slide the aux input port through like this..

cf821d04-e4f3-4633-b1b3-a5fe2b0f96ab_zpsacph9mq5.jpg

30df9788-b1b7-4c1e-ac3f-665d5f93c018_zpsl6l6no9p.jpg

Step 10:

Route the male audio cable from the audio input underneath the cup holder up by the shifter and plug into the female plug on the RCA adapter.

Step 11:

Before reconnecting the harness' and testing everything out, take a look at the IS31 module. On the side there will be a choice between 2 stations, the station selected will be the station that the radio has to be tuned to too play your music. Also, there will be a gain adjustment knob on the bottom. This is used to match the input volume to your stereo's volume. I found at the lowest setting it was way to quiet, the max setting seemed to be just right for me. Once you have chosen your station tuck the IS31 behind your dash in a secure place, reattach all the harness' and attach the antenna from the IS31 to your head unit.

Step 12:

Before completely buttoning everything up now would be the time to tune your stereo to the appropriate channel and test it out. Make adjustments to the gain as needed and button everything up once satisfied.

Closing notes: Some of the pictures used in this tutorial were sourced from the internet and are not all mine. This post will likely be under construction for some time as I go through and check for grammar, resize/add pictures and clarify things.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
[MENTION=14880]03DSGGT[/MENTION] [MENTION=19732]Ballistic[/MENTION] [MENTION=17070]Tony[/MENTION]

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the write up. I ordered the IS31 and IS335 last weekend, so I'll be doing this soon...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes it will play on a radio station and sound like a clear station.

Only point I would add is you should test those wires prior to connecting to them. A meter and 20 secs is all that is needed to confirm they are correct and it can save you some big problems.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Do you have to be on a dead radio station? How is the quality?

Closer to CD quality than radio station quality.

yes it will play on a radio station and sound like a clear station.

Only point I would add is you should test those wires prior to connecting to them. A meter and 20 secs is all that is needed to confirm they are correct and it can save you some big problems.

Yes good point, i did forget to mention that we tested both wires prior to cutting!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it should be the clearest fm station that you get since its being broadcasted from the stick shift but its not cd quality, that is still another step up.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanna thank Cpotts13 again for the write up. I received my 335 and 31 the other day and got around to doing the install this evening. Everything went smoothly. The only hiccup that I ran into is that my harness had 2 green/black wires and 2 red/black wires, so I just hopped on google and found a schematic of the harness and found the correct wires to splice into. The modulator works great! :thumbsup:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You guys are playing with fire getting schematics off the net and trusting them with out testing them. You can get a cheap meter for less then $10 if you look around, every tool box needs one and I am serious when I say that in my career installing audio/security I have never spliced into a wire in the car with out first testing it.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I just wanna thank Cpotts13 again for the write up. I received my 335 and 31 the other day and got around to doing the install this evening. Everything went smoothly. The only hiccup that I ran into is that my harness had 2 green/black wires and 2 red/black wires, so I just hopped on google and found a schematic of the harness and found the correct wires to splice into. The modulator works great! :thumbsup:

No problem man glad everything worked out for you! Was there anything that could be clarified in my write up??

You guys are playing with fire getting schematics off the net and trusting them with out testing them. You can get a cheap meter for less then $10 if you look around, every tool box needs one and I am serious when I say that in my career installing audio/security I have never spliced into a wire in the car with out first testing it.

I do agree with this, I did test the wires prior to wiring them. I also did add that in the write up..

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are right, Im really bad with electrical, and usually I find myself trusting someone elses schematics rather than trusting myself, just because I have very limited experience with it. Ive been lucky over the years with wiring things off of other peoples write-ups and diagrams, but I know it only takes one bad how to to cause problems...sad part is I have a really good meter that a buddy gave me, but there are so many settings on it that it just confuses me and that's when I usually just jump online and look for a diagram...

No problem man glad everything worked out for you! Was there anything that could be clarified in my write up??

No the write up was spot on for me. Once I found the correct wires to splice in to, it was smooth sailing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
interesting. Sounds like a quit/simple how to read your meter might be in order in the electrical area...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been using them for so long I just assume everyone knows.... They are not too hard and a short write up would tell a lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.