How to install a Maximum Motorsports Front K Member

cobraracer46

Reaction score
There are many K member choices for the SN 95 Mustang chassis with most of them being terrible for a street car because most aftermarket K members are drag race oriented ( build as light as possible) so the result is a part that is weaker than stock and significantly less structural stiffness and strength. Not good. I have seen many of the light weight drag race K members crack or otherwise fail. An example of various light weight mustang K member that have failed

attachment.php

996931_588648697839853_1540057562_n.jpg

1150361_588649017839821_1262502384_n.jpg

77050_478426635528727_1488416063_n.jpg

71608_158504707520923_5364586_n.jpg

66597_158504680854259_64777_n.jpg

39527_158504614187599_3048725_n.jpg

For my heavy 2001 Mustang Cobra convertible, I wanted to improve the front end geometry and at the same time increase strength and stiffness. To that end, my choice was to go with a Maximim motorsports K member kit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The maximum Motorsports K member is beautifully constructed and built like a tank to put up with what ever abuse I can throw at it. Remember that handling can only improve with a stiff and strong frame so it makes sense that the Maximum motorsports K member is heavier than any other aftermarket K member and not much lighter than stock. The Maximum Motorsports tubular front control arms feel heavy and beefy as well. Before and after: stock vs Maximum motorsports

attachment.php

You need an oil filter relocation kit to install a maximum motorsports K member so I built my own oil filter relocation kit that allowed me to install an a nice 25 row engine oil cooler.
attachment.php

attachment.php

stock K member is out

attachment.php

The car already had a Maximum Motorsports coil over conversion so that made easier to swap out the factory K member Maximum Motorsports K Member bolted in with out a fuss. I did spend a few hours with plumb bobs in order to square in the k member

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Front end all done!

attachment.php

Impressions so far are that front end grip and handling have noticeably improved. The car feels solid and since Maximum Motorsports built these parts with thick steel and plenty of bracing, these nicely constructed parts will last the life the car.

Reaction score
This whole post reads like an ad for MM. The only one I’ve heard to stay away from is the QA1.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I propose a drinking game. We drink every time he says "maximium motorsports"
I can't afford that much alcohol.
This whole post reads like an ad for MM. The only one I’ve heard to stay away from is the QA1.
That's exactly what he does. Whatever he uses is the best and no matter what you say otherwise its wrong.

I have the MM k member and coilovers so I'm not a MM hater.

OP
OP
cobraracer46

cobraracer46

Reaction score
I can't afford that much alcohol. That's exactly what he does. Whatever he uses is the best and no matter what you say otherwise its wrong.

I have the MM k member and coilovers so I'm not a MM hater.

You are right, I only use the best parts on my Mustang and for the reasons I mentioned, the Maximum Motorsports K member is the best one available because Maximum Motorsports unlike other mustang suspension companies understands that building the lightest possible K member is a mistake due to the fact that in addition to engine torque, a k member must take braking and cornering loads without deflecting and the light weight drag race k members deflect more than the stock one does. Plus, A K member should be a lifetime part that will last the life the car rather than a race piece that will need frequent inspections and eventually get timed out. After all, the factory K member is a life time part. Additionally, a k member that flexes also has a negative effect on ride quality. Simply put, the Maximum Motorsports K member is the best one available and that is why i installed it on my Mustang. Period.

Now, I understand that some people cannot identify quality even if they trip over it so for them, they will be contempt with running sub standard parts.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
You are right, I only use the best parts on my Mustang and for the reasons I mentioned, the Maximum Motorsports K member is the best one available because Maximum Motorsports unlike other mustang suspension companies understands that building the lightest possible K member is a mistake due to the fact that in addition to engine torque, a k member must take braking and cornering loads without deflecting and the light weight drag race k members deflect more than the stock one does. Plus, A K member should be a lifetime part that will last the life the car rather than a race piece that will need frequent inspections and eventually get timed out. After all, the factory K member is a life time part. Additionally, a k member that flexes also has a negative effect on ride quality. Simply put, the Maximum Motorsports K member is the best one available and that is why i installed it on my Mustang. Period.

Now, I understand that some people cannot identify quality even if they trip over it so for them, they will be contempt with running sub standard parts.
All you did here was prove my point about you stating your opinion as fact. You can't seem to grasp the fact that different people do different things with their cars. Which requires different parts.

You're really not as smart as you think you are. And its been proven time and time again. Also, you're a lot late acting like your recent upgrades are new. If you want to start a build thread go for it. Keep the advertising out of it though.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
now take it easy on him. I can't argue because I too installed M&M and for the same reasons. I think anyone getting it is excited and wants to show it off and he just gets a little more excited then the rest of us.

I also think he really enjoys yankin so many chains at one time so easily and the attention it gains him in the debate about him.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Question for the OP. Since you can't run the stock convertable K member brace with an aftermarket K do you notice any more flex in the car? Do you have subframe connectors?

If I were to get an aftermarket K member it would be the MM one. I would love to get rid of the vert brace as I scrape it once in a while on crappy pavement.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
now take it easy on him. I can't argue because I too installed M&M and for the same reasons. I think anyone getting it is excited and wants to show it off and he just gets a little more excited then the rest of us.

I also think he really enjoys yankin so many chains at one time so easily and the attention it gains him in the debate about him.
Sorry. I don't see it that way. But then I've probably dealt with him more than most. As I mentioned before, he spreads his opinion like facts. And he puts down anyone that doesn't see it his way. Theres a reason he was previously banned. On here and on other sites. But hey, I'm only one guy.

Anyway, I ignored him. So no more comments from me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cobraracer46

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Question for the OP. Since you can't run the stock convertable K member brace with an aftermarket K do you notice any more flex in the car? Do you have subframe connectors?

If I were to get an aftermarket K member it would be the MM one. I would love to get rid of the vert brace as I scrape it once in a while on crappy pavement.

The Maximum Motorsports K member is stiffer than the stock unit and it does come with a K member brace. Therefore my car still feels solid with the new Maximum Motorsports K member. For sure if you install an ultra light weight drag race K member that looks more like bunch of tooth pics than an actual frame then the car will feel quite loose with one.

Yes my car has subframe connectors and shockingly enough, they are one of the few suspension pieces that are not from Maximum Motorsports although MM make excellent subframe connectors.

My car has Global West Lowers and Griggs racing uppers and the car is plenty stiff
li9-jpg.1365690

Last edited:
OP
OP
cobraracer46

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Sorry. I don't see it that way. But then I've probably dealt with him more than most. As I mentioned before, he spreads his opinion like facts. And he puts down anyone that doesn't see it his way. Theres a reason he was previously banned. On here and on other sites. But hey, I'm only one guy.

Anyway, I ignored him. So no more comments from me.

All posted in this thread is facts backed up with proof. I welcome your comments that are backed up with proof ( K member weight, stiffness to strength, engineering, etc) .One must wonder why internet forums are on a downward trend and you give us a possible clue as to why.

If you disagree with the facts in this thread; fine and while you are at it, go ahead and start another thread where we can have debate about K members.

In the mean time, Maximum Motorsports is undisputed King of K members when you see this
MMKMP_41_LG__23247.1414763388.1280.1280.jpg

and then you see garbage like this (notice the lack of bracing, thin wall tubing, pencil thin A arms with bracing too far outward and the list goes on. )
kmember1.jpg

in my opinion, I look would to body panels to shed weight rather than compromise the strength of suspension parts with ultra light pieces but thats just me.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 9

Reaction score
LOL “proof” this is hilarious. Also, where’s the “how-to” portion of this?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Team z makes phenomenal k members and their auto-x version is heavily braced and gusseted. Their pricing is also nowhere near as crazy as maximum motor sports.

But I do like how you picked the absolute cheapest piece on the market to compare to the most expensive. Talk about apples to oranges.

Drinks anybody????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Don’t those MM a-arms use delrin bushings?

I have a UPR k member in my car and sure, it didn’t fit as well as it should have, but I’ve been beating the hell out of it and it’s still just fine. The car is plenty stiff and it gives a lot of clearance. I do like the MM piece, but the Upr piece is not unsafe.

OP
OP
cobraracer46

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Team z makes phenomenal k members and their auto-x version is heavily braced and gusseted. Their pricing is also nowhere near as crazy as maximum motor sports.

The Team Z autocross K member
TZM-AC-KM-3.jpg

Does not look heavily braced or gussited. Furthermore, I see two major problems with the design of the above auto cross K member:

1. the diagonal brace from the upper frame rail to control arm mounting tube dead ends in the middle and that's a design flaw called a T-Junction when one tube dead ends into another. This should be avoided whenever possible because the dead end tube could apply force to the tube it dead ended into and cause it to bend.

2. The control arm mounting tabs are too thin and not braced to take braking forces.

3. K member is too light. Team Z claims an 80 pound reduction in front end weight thus indicating that the K member is too light.

Now take a look at the Maximum Motorsports K member that I put my Cobra
MMKM-2_detail3_LG-570x380.jpg

1. The diagonal brace is fully triangulated

2. The Maximum Motorsports is only 12.5 pounds lighter than the stock Ford K member so its heavy and strong to put up with cornering and braking loads plus support the weight of an engine and take engine torque unlike the flyweight drag race piece like the team Z that you could easily throw across the room.

attachment.php

Take a look at the above photo and see how Maximum Motorsports heavily reinforces the control arm mounting points. Plus, the mounting tabs are extra thick.

Compare the above Maximum Motorsports control arm mounting points to the Team Z K member below and its easy to see that the Maximum Motorsports design much more rigid and stronger.

2crk9oy.jpg

Again, I won't put garbage on my Cobra, I only use the best parts possible and for a K member, Maximum Motorsports makes the best one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online