How to make undercover clock pod radar detector.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, this is how I made my undercover radar detector. I did it some time ago, and have since made a few modifications, right now I'm on what I would call V3.0, Versions one and two changed when I had issues with the power supply.

Version one I just ran the stock power cable to the cigarette lighter in a clean fashion, eventually that cable burnt up, so I clipped the end off it, and stripped down the wire and hardwired it. That was version two. That ended up melting eventually because of how thin the gauge of wire was.

So now we get to version three, where I'm making a little more money, so I can make the projects a little nicer. I could not buy a new power cord for this one, because nobody made one. I went to RadioShack and bought a connector that fit my radar detector, came home and soldered some 18 gauge speaker wire onto it. Heavy duty. The wire runs down the defrost vent in the car, I'm not drilling through the dash, though one day I may get an SN95 dash that originally had a clock, so I can get an all black dash.

Keep in mind, I'm not TTOCS, his radar detector looks much better. Ha!

This first run of pictures is of the original, with the terrible wrap job, then you can see version 3, it's not quite finished yet but it will be much nicer.
Enjoy.

DSC07001.jpg

DSC07002.jpg

DSC07003.jpg

DSC07005.jpg

DSC07006.jpg

Little chunk of lexan there.

DSC07007.jpg

Old school night shades!

DSC07008.jpg

Tinted and wrapped.

DSC07010.jpg

Verion 1.0 complete, sitting a little crooked.

I don't have any in process pictures of version 2, nor any of it mounted, though it got put on straight, as will version 3 haha.
Anywho:

DSC08504.jpg

The ol whistler.

DSC08505.jpg

Just put some epoxy on to hold the base in. Clamping her down. Note the vinyl was wrapped all the way around the front of the rear section of the clock pod this time.

DSC08506.jpg

Metal base, and the vinyl spread, still unwrapped.

DSC08507.jpg

It's set up so this can just slide right in when the time is right.

DSC08508.jpg

The detector sitting inside the pod.

DSC08509.jpg

It's behind the screen this time. The picture makes it look a lot worse than it is. The lexan is actually pretty well black, everywhere except where the numbers will be. It's more of a smoked look than the picture shows.

Still on the to do list, finish wrapping it, which involves cutting the holes for the laser and the 360* laser, and a hole cut for the power cord. The cord is already ran behind the dash. More pics to come!

Sorry if you guys think its ghey. I like it because I've had cops sit in my car and asked them to find my radar detector and none of them have. It's not illegal in Florida, but it is frowned upon. Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, so here's the follow up goodness.

DSC08510.jpg

On top laser

DSC08511.jpg

On more behind laser

DSC08512.jpg

Front

DSC08514.jpg

Wrapped and ready to go

DSC08515.jpg

DSC08516.jpg

DSC08518.jpg

Mounted to the dash

DSC08518.jpg

yes.

DSC08520.jpg

Ricer switch to activate.

DSC08523.jpg

Here it is on, and me doing my best MiGusta face. During the startup, all signs come on in sequence, then it goes back to just the H for highway.

And here be a video of my beautiful self.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Interesting. I like the idea, that's pretty sweet that it's hidden. Cops do frown upon it here as well so this is a great idea.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Funny thing is I have a new edge and most people don't even realize it's not even supposed to be there :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
keep in mind yer not ttocs - we all started somewhere and this is a fun project.. I can remember my first install. Hooking up a piece of 12 awg wire for power, unfused and then fishing it through the fender on my truck through the door jamn. Only made a few sparks...... My radar detector install was alot easerier because I got a remote radar detector. The only part mounted in the pod is the display. the laser sensor is on the mirror and the radar is under the bumper.

If you want to get the vinyl to stick up front(looks like is having troubles) go to a hobby shop(rc type not joanne fabric) and get a bottle of thick CA glue and the kicker. Now with this shtuff you will be able to glue yourself to damn near anything(including the pod, the radar detector or your own jeans/clothes if it soaks through to your skin) so you want to be carefull with it. Are you going to tuck the other end of the vinyl around the detector or how are you going to end that? Try to keep the laser eye exposed no matter what although I am sure the back-facing one is probably covered.

I too have rarely had anyone notice that my mustang didn't come with a radar detector there and enjoyed it since. I do not speed much anymore as with the new combination people hear me when I get on it so I have to do that when the time is right...

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Scott :)

The vinyl should go down quite nicely this time, since I have a whole base I can wrap it under. I'll keep that glue in mind. Last time I used rubber cement and it held extremely well. This time I'm able to wrap it around most of the way, which makes the whole product look a lot better.

It's not quite on your level, because I'm just not that talented, and I'm the first to admit that. Thannks for the kind words :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I didn't learn what I know by spending a couple of years reading build articles. I have learned alot from them but it isn't untill you start doing the stuff you learn it. Started installing professionally when my 94 was new and went to 4 different shops that all specialized in different areas. It was a fun hobby, till it was a job - been away long enough its fun again. Thank you for the kind words

Also you can take a coat hanger and fish it down under the vents to the back of the radio/back of the dash and then use that to pull your power wire through so you can't see it.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Great idea, im sure some people could pull that off and make it look nearly OEM.

My only issue is you're supposed to have the front and the back of those detectors fully exposed for them to work right.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Also, you could easily hard wire that in and run the wire down through to the fuse box or something so that its not exposed

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That was version one, you guys must not have read. I have the new wire ran down through those vents ha! It is hardwired to a switch in the center console. More pics to come.

This whistler has two spots on it that are detectors, and they are left fully exposed, but still blend right in. I sort of wish I had the sn95 dash so I could mount it a bit easier, however, this looks pretty good once its in.

This will look much better than the first run you guys see in the car photos. The second run looked much better than that one ha!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ahh also didn't see that this was version 1. This is exactly what a remote radar detector is made for but it will work fine for him as well. Mine came with a mounting flange that it slid into so I just had to cut a whole, trim the flange and then glue/fill/sand/paint and run the wires.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I got the detector from a police auction in a hodge podge of items. The box was $40 or so, but it had a $120 buck knife, this radar detector and cable (looked up refurbished ones, they are $95 still, Whistler XTR105), a sega Genesis, my Smith and Wesson SWAT pocket knife, a few other lesser sheathe knives, and some other random stuff.

And the clock pod was $2 from the junk yard. I've got not much into this project ha! I will admit, remote mount would have been easier, but it's fun being all custom and such :)

96TANGERINEGT

Reaction score
hahahah , that took alot of thaught , cops can't run radar here so , this will not help me hahaha

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ha, I forget how forums operate

*scroll scroll scroll* *sees picture* *stops to look* *scroll scroll scroll*

So true haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics