How to make your own IAC restrictor plate

joekd

Reaction score
This is for anyone that doesn't like when the RPM's that are slow to drop or even rise slightly when you push the clutch in to shift. Another symptom, is that when cruising in a higher gear and you let your foot off the gas, the car almost cruises on its own for a bit.

Why does this happen?
First, understand the problem. The engine is receiving too much air through the IAC valve. From my knowledge Ford did this for emissions reasons.

The plate fix:
First locate your IAC valve. Look on the front of your upper plenum, you will see a silver cylinder shaped object with 2 bolts holding it to the plenum and a black hose leading to it

In this pic it is the silver piece on the front of my red plenum

iac1.jpg

Pull the hose off the front, remove the two bolts and remove the IAC.

You should see that the IAC has two "ports" with the solenoid controlling the air flow between these two ports, what we want to accomplish is to restrict the airflow leading through this.

To do this, there should be a small gasket on your intake, or it could be stuck to the IAC valve. Remove this (carefully)

Making the plate:
Trace out the shape of this gasket as well as the holes for mounting bolts, and the two air holes, onto either a piece of aluminum sheet or a sheet of make your own gasket (found at most parts stores)

Cut out the outline of this "restrictor plate" from the sheet.

Cut out the holes for your bolts to go through.

Cut out a single one of the Air holes.

Now the tricky part. You have to decide how big to make the other hole because this determines the amount of air you are restricting. The smallest you should go would be around 5/32", the worst case if you go to small is your car will stall when fix is complete, if this happens just take the plate out, make the hole bigger, and check that. The hole I used is around 9/32" which is about the medium you would want to go.

This is what your finished plate will look like

iacplate.jpg

After your "restrictor plate" is cut out, you are ready to install

Installing the plate:
Replace the gasket against the intake plenum, the mount the plate. Make sure the smaller hole you drilled is on the side of the large hole in the plenum and make sure to replace the gasket against the intake. Now put the IAC in place and bolt everything down. Replace the lage hose in front.

Start your car, you should notice the RPMs drop when you start back to normal very quickly.

If it idles smoothly, try putting turning on the AC, this will load the engine down. If your car stalls out, remove the plate, make the hole bigger, try again.

If still idling smoothly you are done and ready to take it for a spin. You might need to adjust your driving/clutching style after being used to the crappy RPM hang, so don't be discouraged.

Also, you might want to disconnect your battery during the procedure to make your computer relearn it after you finish.

If, after you start the car you notice a "whistling" sound, then take a look at your plate, make sure the BIG hole is at least as big as the hole on the IAC valve. Also make sure edges of holes are rounded (sharp edges are bad), and the holes are round.

Enjoy your non-hanging RPMs!

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
On my old GT about a year and a half, on this GT about 6 months now

Before it is asked no, never had a CEL come on even once from this mod and as already mentioned if you aren't happy with it just pull the two bolts and it comes right out

shifter

Reaction score
That is actually pretty clever.

In the tuning software for my 94 (I use SCT) there is a "Max clip value" which is basically the maximum that the IAC can open (there are also Min, gain, decay, etc).
Anyway, by reducing the Max clip value and increasing the decay I got rid of the hang and flare on the shift.

You've accomplished your own "max clip" with that plate.

IMHO, that's a good idea and well done!

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
DESERTCOX05 said:
do you know if this will work on a 5.0 also or only on a 4.6?

I myself have never done it on anything but 4.6motors but the IAC looks exactly the same so it should work the same as well

Again, worst case scenario is your car does not idle right so you take the plate off

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I gotta try this on my car. Nicely done Joekd!

98GTnSC

Reaction score
about 2 go try this in a few mins. let u guys know how it goes

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
Just thinking about this plate a little more today. Since our cars don't even use the pass side hole there is no real reason for it and therefore no need for the large hole to match the port on the gasket.

You could instead drill out a 5/32" hole on one side and a 9/32" on the other. This way if you put it on and it did not idle right you would just have to remove the two bolts, flip the plate over, replace bolts and try again.

Not a huge difference but could save you a little bit of time/aggravation if your drill station isn't located near the car.

96GT02

Reaction score
I just bought one off ebay for $2.50 shipped and works like a charm. i think its 7/32 size. Almost drops too fast now lol. have to get used to it.

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
I just bought one off ebay for $2.50 shipped and works like a charm. i think its 7/32 size. Almost drops too fast now lol. have to get used to it.

If you do want to change it just drill the hole out a little larger

96GT02

Reaction score
Yeah I prob will when I get around to it, it doesnt stall or anything, just drops way quicker then i can ship even with a short throw lol. kinda makes it seem like a downshift when im accerating

96GT02

Reaction score
but id much rather it drop too fast then hang forever, that annoyed me more then anything.

silverv6

Reaction score
Me and G36monkey made one of these for both of our cars, they work great!

He has his made of metal now mine is still made of gasket maker, size is perfect so we are going to make one out of metal very soon!

Great idea my idle does not hang anymore! =]

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think my hole size still needs to be dialed in. my cam makes it have a bit of trouble, but we deal with it :)

96GT02

Reaction score
what seems to be the perfect size for 4.6 2vs? 9/32?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah I prob will when I get around to it, it doesnt stall or anything, just drops way quicker then i can ship even with a short throw lol. kinda makes it seem like a downshift when im accerating

Mine does the same way, almost makes a different sound from the exhaust as well but overall its much better then hangin at 1600 rpms. It has also let me keep better control in 2nd as I was having problems with spinning when I slammed it hard before and it would hang.

96GT02

Reaction score
I remade my own iac plate out of gasket material and drilled the hole 1/4" size which seems to be perfect for my car. The idle drops just as shift so its perfectly smooth now between gears

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online