How to polish your windows, and windshield?

Discussion in 'Exterior and Interior' started by Tally_4.6, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6 Well-Known Member

The waterspots and countless fine scratches my car has accumulated over the years has finally got to me, and i would like to do something about it. Especially with this big car show coming up in about a month. At night when the light hits it it bothers the shit outta me. I want some fresh new car looking glass, or close to it at least lol.

Anyone ever successfully polished their exterior car windows/windshield and gotten rid of the waterspots or scratches? I've heard with metal polish and fine steel wool it was possible. But i wanted to get some opinions before i jumped right into it.

2. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I've used a glass buffing compound and special pads at work to get scratches out of our windshields, but I don't know where to get that lol

3. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

I'd love to know what you use, my windshield could you some definite refreshing.

4. fiveohwblow

fiveohwblow Active Member

Best method is an ultra fine steel wool and buffing compound. Will polish to a flawless smooth surface. Make sure it's super fine and not super coarse though.

5. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Subscribe!!!

I wonder how deep of scratches you can get out without getting too crazy about it... I have a corner in the rear window that got scratched up bad during removal. Looks like a crazy ass signature and it always catches my friends eyes. "What's that?" :deeplist:
    I would replace the rear window if they were cheap...

Also, I'd like to know good window cleaner. Its one of the things I'm the most fussy about at shows. I can never get it right. Always get the girlfriend (if she tags along) to do it so it doesn't bug me as much. I've found brand name windex works better than the knock off stuff. The armorall stuff is meh.

6. Tally_4.6

You just said at work...? lol

7. Win

Win Legend

8. ttocs

ttocs Legend

There should not be any reason that you can't wet-sand it to get the scratches out.

9. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

Umm.. I used some heavy duty cutting cream (heat activated).. Windshield came out a lot clearer and pretty mint.

10. FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow Well-Known Member

My insurance company has free window replacement. Not sure why they haven't questioned how so many rocks and stuff have hit the windshield, bounced up and landed on the rear windshield on both my parents cars....

:D

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

11. ProKiller

ProKiller Well-Known Member

12. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

It was from the people that make our windshields, and they were out fixing them so they pulled me to help them. It's not something we have on hand lol

13. Justang

Justang Active Member

I think chrome/metal polishes used to be one of the go-to's for glass, but now there are many glass-specific polishes out there. I think vinegar is supposed to be a trick for water spots but I've never tried it. Cerium oxide is the abrasive of choice for glass polish, but just like paint, you need to approach glass with appropriate aggressiveness.

Some examples:
    For light work, check out http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html
    For heavier work, look at http://www.autogeek.net/dia-glass-resurfacing-creme.html
    Lake Country offers a nice little kit if you're into that http://www.autogeek.net/lc-pro-glass-kit.html

Preventative maintenance goes a long way with glass (and I guess everything else, too lol) so try to avoid sprinklers, rain, really any water that will just sit. Key word is try, I know it's easier said than done. Remember you can claybar glass just like paint, too. Don't forget to top it off with a finish product of your choice. Biggest thing with the polishing itself, if you use a machine, is to be aware of how hot the surface gets.

Here is a little bit of literature to get familiar with:
    Lengthy write-up on glass http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/123663-polishing-glass/
    Short how-to with pictures http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...-Glass-Polishing-by-Machine-Defect-Correction

Do your own research and see what you can find. Experiment, take pictures, have some fun with it, then pass on your new-found knowledge. Hope I've given enough food for thought here!

14. chris91

chris91 Well-Known Member

The best window cleaner I have used is Stoners. You can get it at any parts store but I found a bigger and cheaper can at Lowe's.

15. Justang

Justang Active Member

For cleaners, I also like Stoner's IG. I use the one with rain repellent because I DD my car and weather happens.

16. chris91

chris91 Well-Known Member

I haven't used the one with rain repellent yet. It work as good as rain x? Its the one with the purple lid correct?

17. Justang

Justang Active Member

Yes the purple one. I should add I prefer the spray bottle to the aerosol but that's personal preference. I used Rain-X many moons ago and had problems with streaking. Some people have also complained about wiper chatter with it too. I never gave it another shot since IG does the job.

18. teal95gt

teal95gt Active Member

I used to first wash it etc when I would wash the car off. I will list it in steps what I did and my windshield was always amazing and clear as fk. As some of you know I am a neat freak when it comes to any part of my cars!

(THE FOLLOWING IS AFTER A NORMAL WASH)

1.use invisible glass as a sort of clay lube and then use a razor blade like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-52000?seid=srese1&gclid=CNzmuMv6_rsCFS4aOgodkl0AaA
    [​IMG]
    you use short fast strokes similar to shaving keeping the razor in about a 30 degree angle and you will see the glass cleaner start to turn brown then you wipe it off. You want to do this for the entire windshield inside and out.

2.Follow that with once again sprays of glass cleaner as a lube and then clay the windows with any type of auto detailing clay, they make clay just for glass you can buy but it is all basically the same thing lol.

FOLLOWING STEPS ARE OUTSIDE ONLY

3.after that you want to use a heavy cut compound doesn't matter what it is I just use m105 megs for it becuase it is relatively cheap and just keep it for the glass. you can use a heavy cut pad.
    [​IMG]

4.next you want to then buff all of that compound off then follow that up with some Glass polsiher/restorer using a Glass pad.

GLASS PADS
    [​IMG]

GLASS RESTORER
    [​IMG]

also answering your question Orange. I found Stoner's Invisible Glass to be awesome. I also learned pretty fast to clean glass correctly takes a good chunk of time and multiple weapons in your arsenal to tackle them. I like to have 3 duifferent microfber cloth weaves and some normal rags on hand. You want to work from the medium pile microfiber when you initially spray down the window to the fine one for glass and for the final passes when almost all of the solution is gone use the high pile nice think one to clean it all up and it will look like glass should lol!

if any of you have any questions in regards to detailing, feel free to shoot me a pm! I would like to think I know a thing or two about a thing or two.

19. teal95gt

teal95gt Active Member

yea vinegar diluted with water works well for glass, glaziers use it when installing glass windows in large buildings etc.

20. Tally_4.6

Knowledge overload.