How to Properly Polish your car?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
On what a single stage ???

Waterbased modern clearcoat honda hood to be exact.

Alot of newer cars now-a-days only have a paint thickness of like 110 microns and I refuse to polish anything under 100.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever color sanded before??

yes, I have colorsanded most of my mustang and a few other clients cars. On Factory paintjobs I refuse to color sand because the paint is so damn thin. I will only do spot color sanding.

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
What was he using to be exact?

Must have been the same hood you used every class .. Most cars come with way way way to much clear coat from the factory and I know because I have to color sand them every day and trust me U would have to keep your buffer in the same spot for for a while with a super thick compound to burn through a 2 stage paint ..

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Must have been the same hood you used every class .. Most cars come with way way way to much clear coat from the factory and I know because I have to color sand them every day and trust me U would have to keep your buffer in the same spot for for a while with a super thick compound to burn through a 2 stage paint ..

I Measure every car i polish with a Paint Thickness meter and document all the thin spots. I also Measure almost every new car that comes into chemical guys and record it..... Most new cars only come with around 110 microns of paint which is nothing when my repainted mustang has almost 300 microns of paint.

Are you measuring the paint with a thickness gauge?

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
I Measure every car i polish with a Paint Thickness meter and document all the thin spots. I also Measure almost every new car that comes into chemical guys and record it..... Most new cars only come with around 110 microns of paint which is nothing when my repainted mustang has almost 300 microns of paint.

Are you measuring the paint with a thickness gauge?

Nope when you do something everyday for over 14 years you get good trust me .. If you look on my web site there is a new Ferrari I color sanded ( That was fun lol )you dont need a gauge if you know what your doing .. If you call around to the best painters in the world they will tell you the same thing.. I have used one before but there a wast of time .. But for newbs there good.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So what your saying is he caught an edge and burned it .. I could see that .. Takes time for someone to learn how to control them ..

yeah, thats how paint is burned 99% of the time is when someone gets too close to the edge and burns through. Thats why i always measure with a paint thickness gauge because your eye cant see how thick the paint is.

Rotary is hell easy to learn.... I have never burned paint on a rotary because i just follow the right steps "Lowest speed possible and NEVER go over an edge... or tape the edge"

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
The eye can't see how thick the paint is.
\

Trust me you can tell how much clear is on a car .. I have owned a detailing business for 7 years and color sanded a lot of cars never had any problems new clear coat is soft you have to be care full but there easy and your right the slower the buffer the better let all the polish do the work and lowers heat i agree.

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
And compounding a car with a foam pad ??? .. Foam is for polishing you will never ever see a painter paint a car and then colorsand it and buff it will a foam pad first to remove 1500 grit sand paper marks lol .. There is a reason why they make wool and senth/wool

det_riot

Reaction score
in for about to be epic battle of the detailers :popcorn: You guys need to have a detail off. Same car, Split 50/50 down the middle

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
He teaches their detailing classes. He's a master detailer, though I'm not saying you aren't.

You said yourself it takes time to learn how to control a high speed buffer. Which is why I said not to throw it in the hands of a beginner.

I burned the gel on the side of a million dollar boat because I didn't know what I was doing. Gel is a lot easier to work with than paint.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Most water based paints now dont like wool and Foam can remove 2500 grit sanding scratches. I will never buff 1500 grit because IMO, its too rough to get a perfect finish.

I have dont detailing for many years, Then decided to use my skills for teaching and product development so thats why i do now. I still do about 15 Full paint correction jobs a year. I limit my clients so i can offer my highest level of work. I dont do detailing for the money, I do it because its an artform.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Who would have thought I would be defending Handz in a thread lol. Now we just need Paul to come in here.

p.s. I never knew your car had been repainted

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mrstangerbanger, Knows what he is talking about. He is an amazing detailer and his work is perfection. Nothing can top years of experience. Every detailer just has different ways to work around the problem.... but even I have alot i can learn and learn stuff everyday. I wouldnt call myself a "Master Detailer" because i have alot i can still learn from others.... thats why I try to keep an open mind with threads like this :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online