HOW TO: Quick Release Bumper (Dzus / Quarter turn fasteners)

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
So when is FTR going to be selling a quick release bumper kit?

To be honest, I don't really see much reason to. We provide the Summit Racing part numbers for anyone to go order; from my point of view buying the hardware and then marking it up for sale would be somewhat dishonest to our customers and the Mustang community.

However, I'm happy to help anyone out if they need guidance

Beyondspexj

Reaction score
This is what ive been looking for and like how the fastners are semi hidden (fender well). Just ordered my set from summit, got the rivets from them as well (1/8 in black) so anyone wanting to do this, I will have plenty rivets left over as they came 250 count in the package.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
same theory applies to the rear?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Looks like I will be doing this to my 99 w/03/04 cobra bumper this weekend. The previou owner cut the fendee mount tabs off of the bumper instead of buying the brackets, so I will be making up some dzus brackets for the fenders. I'll be sure to get lots of picture :)

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Here's the photos of todays effort:

1"x1"x6.5" aluminum angle

tape for a leveling spot (1.75" up from the bottom of the fender):

Drilled holes for a AN3 metal locknut tinnerman nut (these are aircraft grade):

bolted the brackets to the fenders:

Bent the summit dzus weld plates roughly 95-100* and drilled the holes for Three 3/16" pop rivets:

I then mocked up the plates to the brackets. I used a calibrated guess and a ruler flush to the fender to determine how far inset the bracket needed to be from the outer surface of the fender. Then drilled Only the center pop rivet hole in the fender bracket:

Here is what it looks like from up front:

Then a dzus fastener was put inti the bracket and wide masking tape put onto the fender and stretched tight over the gap and stuck the the dzus. The dzus rivet holes were then marked onto the tape:

The tape was then folded up onto the fender (not removed from the fender), the dzus removed and the bumper put into place. The tape was then pulled tight along the bumper.

The tape was then removed from the fender (leave it in place in the bumper) and the bumper removed. The 1/8" holes for the pop rivets were then drilled in the locations marked on the masking tape:

The large hole for the actual dzus was then drilled:

The bumper was then put into place and the dzus fastened.

the bumper was then removed, the remaining rear bracket rivet holes drilled and then pop riveted. Then the fender brackets are tapered along the front for the second set of dzus fastener brackets:

A ruler is then used along the rear bracket to ensure the forward bracket is colinear to the rear bracket (im still working on getting the front bracket sorted, so it may end up no being colinear)

That is all i got done today. I'll continue off tomorrow with (hopefully) the remaining fasteners

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
same theory applies to the rear?
There are 6-8 nuts that have to come off from inside the trunk. Not sure how you would modify them.

Was it possible to put the fastener on backwards from what you did so that t would not show u at all?

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
There are 6-8 nuts that have to come off from inside the trunk. Not sure how you would modify them.

Was it possible to put the fastener on backwards from what you did so that t would not show u at all?

I am pretty sure that second sentence was not for me.

I am going to look into a way to do this. Not that the rear bumper has to come off at various times, like the front. But itll just help.

Thomas_W

Reaction score

Is that second sentence meant for me? If so, im not sure what "T" you are referring to.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Front bumper is mostly done. Here are the photos. It was basically a repeat if the previous post. I also used Moroso doubler plates to prevent the rivets from pulling out of the bumper cover. I also broke a dzus yesterday and realized that the pop rivets needed ground down about 1/32-1/16" to make it easier for them to engage the springs.

I'm debating now on if i want to dzus the inner fender liners to the bumper and the lower bumper cover to the core support. What do you guys think?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I understand why you started this but do you take the body panels off your car that often that its needed or is do you just have a few extra fasteners and spare time?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I understand why you started this but do you take the body panels off your car that often that its needed or is do you just have a few extra fasteners and spare time?

actually neither.. Yet

the main reason is the previous owner thought it a genius idea to cut the tabs off the bumper that the bumper mount bracket pop rivet to, essentially ruining the bumper from ever being able to me mounted correctly. So a new bumper cover would of been $500+ (the header panel was also broken in one of the mounting locations).

The dzus fastener method allowed me to mount the bumper for $58. And when i start fabing up the twin turbo setup, it will allow me to install and remove the front bumper quickly to check fit and clearances of the turbo setup.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
For me yes. Between different splitters (when it breaks or gets redesigned) and some fabrication for some coolers and for track days. Specifically changing out the fog lights for brake ducts

sent from the toilet or from my cubicle

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wanted to do it so i have an easy access to the fuse box when the wire tuck happens

it can be done with some carefull planning. Forgive the mess this was still early in the modification relm but the square hole that is in the side is for the stock fuse box as well as an additional one for extra crap. Its made of plexe so I can see the fuses and covered with tape now to not get scratched but the stock box and a 2nd 4 fuse block to drive some other accesories.
1673171401806354-ed69607033.jpg

I made the cover from plexi so I can see though it to see the fuse through it

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Thats a cooler idea.. i thought of making a box per say with a flush mounted cover and a small gasket to seal it from anything if need be

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Well this actually came to mind today e brake cable is beyond worn out and will only lock if its all the way at the top well dumb me didnt do that and let it snag a parking stop and i heard the scrape but knew it was to late thought of how awesome it would be to just disconnect the bumper if it ever happened again and save me from screwing up the brackets

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.