HOW TO: Quick Release Bumper (Dzus / Quarter turn fasteners)

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Posted a few pics a while ago and meant to do a write-up, but never got around to it. This is a really easy and useful mod, all the holes are already drilled out you just need to bore them larger. Also, this still maintains the two nuts on the inside of each side of the bumper. If you want to replace them with quarter turn fasteners its pretty easy, I didn't just for looks and its not hard to undo four nuts with an electric ratchet.

All you need:
Self ejecting fasteners (Summit racing part number SUM-G1620)
Weld plates (Summit racing part number SUM-G1626)
1/8" or 3/16" rivets

Total price: $35

There are 8 total attachment points. Two on the top center in the engine bay, two per side on the inner fender, and two on the bottom to the lower radiator support.

Top:

Drill out the stock plastic fasteners, then bore the hole out to 1/2". Then drill two holes for your rivets in the plates and the upper grill, line everything up, and rivet the weld plate to the underside of the upper grill.

14069739434_8d67f8f8fc.jpg

14046167186_b3ee05d1de.jpg

Fenders
Bore out existing fasteners holes, a countersink also helps the dzus fastener sit flush. The existing holes in the fender should be fine to use, same deal as with the top. Drill out holes for rivets and then rivet to line everything up.

9707140172_cf76bd398b.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the bottom, but there's two tabs there already, you just need to do the same bore/drill/rivet thing as with the top and sides. Any other questions let me know!

wmfateam

Reaction score
Bravo sir. Thanks for giving me another project.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Handz

Reaction score
I think the Zeus fittings look way cleaner than the JDM strap thing.

I am really considering doing the zeus fittings on my bumper. That would make my life great.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The JDM quick release comes in gold so that's a pretty obvious choice for me.

NERD

Reaction score
Rubber bands holding on bumpers? I feel like I stepped into DSMtuners forum Sticky.

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I think you can get those at target like $5 for a rainbow pack

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Those 'rubber bands' you guys speak of are used throughout our motors. But you're right, they probably don't work for shit. :p

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Those 'rubber bands' you guys speak of are used throughout our motors. But you're right, they probably don't work for shit. :p

Idk what you used but I put my motor together with bolts.

Jk man it's your car so do whatever floats your boat haha I'm just talking crap

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Rubber bands holding on bumpers? I feel like I stepped into DSMtuners forum Sticky.

No shit is that really a thing people are doing.

I wil be buying a set of these shortly for my rebuild. It will make it sooo much easier to service any of the pieces I have hidden under the bumper/fender. Any recommendations on where to get them? Is it one of those things that if you order 100 it makes it 10x cheaper? If so who else is going to do this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah