How to remove Power Steering Pump Pulley?

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
All in the title. I have a rented PS pulley puller set (that has a Ford 4.6L installer so I thought it would work for removal) but the removal pin immediately gets way too tight for comfort when trying to remove the pulley.

Any special way to do this?
Thanks

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Reaction score
What pin are you talking about? Mine has a sleeve over the pieces that hook to the pulley. But the pulley is going to be tight. Depending on how long it's been there it might be pretty stubborn.

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
What pin are you talking about? Mine has a sleeve over the pieces that hook to the pulley. But the pulley is going to be tight. Depending on how long it's been there it might be pretty stubborn.

Actually my neighbor and I just got it off, pin that pushed on the center of the pulley was too big so we used an old 5mm socket I didn't care about.

That was A BITCH. It took me with a 5 ft breaker bar and my "big guy" neighbor holding it down to get that ****** off. Thats gotta be some sick prank by Ford, that would be impossible with just me or another average size dude.

Last edited:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Actually my neighbor and I just got it off, pin that pushed on the center of the pulley was too big so we used an old 5mm socket I didn't care about.

That was A BITCH. It took me with a 5 ft breaker bar and my 250lb neighbor holding it down to get that ****** off. Thats gotta be some sick prank by Ford, that would be impossible with just me or another average size dude.

Yeah those ain’t fun!!!! And what’s an average sized guy?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Yeah those ain’t fun!!!! And what’s an average sized guy?????

Oh ha ha! I didn't mean to offend anyone lol.

When I say average I guess I just thought my own size! I'm quite a bit smaller than my neighbor lol

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m 5’9” and 205lbs. I might not be the tallest but I got bigger shoulders than all of my tall friends.

So I was just curious what you called average. [emoji38]

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I’m 5’9” and 205lbs. I might not be the tallest but I got bigger shoulders than all of my tall friends.

So I was just curious what you called average. [emoji38]

I was going to say 6" :) but I don't have any data to back that up. I am just happy to be "above average" in at least on aspect.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I'm not gonna give my stats as they're misleading.

Last time I pulled a pulley I used my impact. Despite the directions saying not to. I'm a rebel like that.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure exactly when/where it was done but on my 302 power steering pulley a clever mechanic somewhere drilled/ground a spot JUST big enough in the pulley to fit the ratchet bit to get the bolt that is behind the pulley with out removing it. It sounds janky but its not a lot of material and its been turning for 15 yrs since I first noticed it and its saved me some time in removing it. I will try to go take a pic in a few as I know people are gonna wonder....

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Thankfully you don't have to remove the pulley from the pump to remove any of the mounting bolts on the 4.6. At least you don't with a 10mm ratcheting wrench with a wobble head.

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Thankfully you don't have to remove the pulley from the pump to remove any of the mounting bolts on the 4.6. At least you don't with a 10mm ratcheting wrench with a wobble head.

Ive heard that everywhere but sadly I didn't find it to be true lol. My car has a folded metal 90° bracket on the line that gives you virtually no space to get any type of wrench in there. I also couldn't pry the bracket off without possibly bending the line. Best solution was removing the pulley

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Ive heard that everywhere but sadly I didn't find it to be true lol. My car has a folded metal 90° bracket on the line that gives you virtually no space to get any type of wrench in there. I also couldn't pry the bracket off without possibly bending the line. Best solution was removing the pulley
Did you remove the bolt that holds that bracket on? It does take a little effort, but it will pop off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online