How To Remove Your Entire Center Console

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How To Remove Your Entire Center Console

I figured since we didn't have a write-up on how to remove the center consoles in our cars, i'd make one.

*** This guide is for an automatic transmission ***
It is a very similar process to a 5spd. For a 5spd, remove the boot, shifter, and handle and you will be all set.

Removing your center console will give you access to:
  • Emergency brake & assembly
  • Shifter
  • Shifter bulb
  • Fog light controls (you can do the fog light mod from here)
  • Convertible top button (if you have a vert)
  • Ash tray bulb
  • Cigarette lighter and power outlet
Tools needed:
  • Torx screwdriver (t15)
  • Regular screwdriver
  • Flathead screwdriver (optional)
NOTE: Start off by turning off your cars battery by disconnecting the negative terminal. Then make sure you car is on leveled ground and that your emergency brake is on.
You may have to move the car from park to Drive/1/2 in order to get the console out of its place. Just wiggle it around until the e-brake breaks through.

Step 1:
Begin by removing the shifter trim panel by pulling it upwards and towards you. Done easiest by grabbing at these selected areas:

6824381798_f645788e2c_b.jpg

Step 2:
Pull the panel up and away from the shifter, but do not force it, there should be a wire behind it connecting to the cigarette lighter.

6970504319_0eedfef5fa_b.jpg

Step 3:
Disconnect the cigarette wire & harness simply by pulling it away from the panel.

6970504643_b9570239a7_b.jpg

Step 4:
Now go ahead and pull the trim panel straight up and out of it place. You can wiggle it around in order to bypass the shifter.

6824382854_54633fd4f9_b.jpg

Step 5:
Now go ahead and open up your center console and you will find 3 rubber pieces that are covering 2 bolts.
Go ahead and remove these 3 rubber pieces and you should now see 2 screws.

6824385236_16ae663066_b.jpg

Step 6:
Use a screwdriver to unscrew these 2 and place them in a safe location along with the rubber pieces.

6970508039_c09a13d1df_b.jpg

Step 7:
Once both screws are removed, using either a flathead or your hands, pull the center console upwards and it should pop right out.

6824386146_fbf91a77d2_b.jpg

With the center console removed, you should now see 7 more screws.

6970555977_f87a1502f2_b.jpg

Step 8:
Using a torx screwdriver T15, remove the 2 bolts in the middle.
Using a regular screwdriver remove the 3 upper and 2 lower bolts.

6970556827_083fe2ffa0_b.jpg

It should look like this afterwards:

6824434788_91cb84d7a3_b.jpg

6824435174_039f8b8844_b.jpg

Step 9:
Now disconnect all wiring harness located under the center console (such as fog lights, ash tray light, cigarette lights, convertible top)

6970567041_420629c15c_b.jpg

Step 10:
Once all that is complete, the entire center console should just pop right out.
You may have to wiggle it around. Don't force anything or use too much pressure because the plastic or some retainers may break.

6824444100_d1859a140c_b.jpg

That's it! Now that your center console is removed, you may switch out your shifter bulb, remove your e-brake, swap out your shifter, re-wire your foglights, and much much more.
To re-install, just follow this guide backwards and remember to re-tighten all bolts and screws, as well as re-insert the rubber pieces that sit atop the bolts on your console.

Saint

Reaction score
Nice write up...now I wont feel so lost pulling mine to clean under there

96TANGERINEGT

Reaction score
f-that ebrake assembly mine needs a front cable , and it has needed one for 3 months now LOL

nice write up man

lizwithfries

Reaction score
Took mine apart for some reason a long time ago and never got around to putting the screws back in. Now all the screws are long gone, but the center console still stays in place, but it's easy to remove now lol.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
f-that ebrake assembly mine needs a front cable , and it has needed one for 3 months now LOL

nice write up man

I need a new E-brake as well. The actual button is loose and around 2500-3000 RPM's, it vibrates like crazy due to my dumped catback.

Mustanger

Reaction score
On mine I had to pull up REALLY hard on the E Brake to get the handle as vertical as possible...it would not clear the dash area or the brake handle otherwise...I felt like I was going to break the cable I had to pull so hard!!!! but I didn't.

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
ive taken mine out before, and i am curious as to why you included taking off the armrest lid and also the screws across from it? just wondering.

And also, it makes it a lot easier if you pull the e-brake as much as possible, it allows you to pull the console straight up instead of having to wiggle it around

6970556827_083fe2ffa0_b.jpg

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
egh eff all that. i just put the console into the windshield. cracked that SOB twice. roll bar once and console initially.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ive taken mine out before, and i am curious as to why you included taking off the armrest lid and also the screws across from it? just wondering.

And also, it makes it a lot easier if you pull the e-brake as much as possible, it allows you to pull the console straight up instead of having to wiggle it around

I found it easier if you remove the arm rest. Then you have much more access to the e-brake without the arm rest lift falling on your arm every single time.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to take a second to point out the irony of someone named echo replying to a 9 month old question with a question. :)

ok - carry on.

Echo

Reaction score
I have to take a second to point out the irony of someone named echo replying to a 9 month old question with a question. :)

ok - carry on.

XD I should probably pay better attention to post dates. That's the second time I've replied to an old ass thread.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sorry I could not resist. If you leave that door cracked open just a tad I can't help but kick it in and make an entrance. Not trying to call you out or make you feel wierd I am just a complete smart ass 90% of the time, and a jack ass the other 50%.

Also really good at math if you need me to balance your checkbook!

Echo

Reaction score
sorry I could not resist. If you leave that door cracked open just a tad I can't help but kick it in and make an entrance. Not trying to call you out or make you feel wierd I am just a complete smart ass 90% of the time, and a jack ass the other 50%.

Also really good at math if you need me to balance your checkbook!

No offense taken what-so-ever I'm the exact same way. I'd say more like 98% of the time irl. Im a bit chilled out in the internet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.