How-To: Replace Your Oxygen Sensors

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
For some of you Mustang folks out there who may be new to wrenching, here is a relatively simple project that can improve the performance of your Mustang. If your car has over 100,000 miles and still has the original oxygen sensors, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them as part of a good tune-up.

As far as tools, all you'll need to complete the job is:
- A good jack and jackstands
- A 7/8" open-ended wrench or special O2 sensor socket

These socket wrenches are available at the auto parts store, and have a slot in them for the O2 pigtail.

First, simply jack up the car and secure it safely with a pair of jackstands. You can put the stands under the subframes, engine crossmember, or other secure place on the car.

Then, it's time to locate your O2 sensors. They are located on your exhaust mid-pipe all the way forward near where it attaches to your headers. If you have a factory catalytic h-pipe, they are located forward of the two forward-most cats. I have a Magnaflow catalytic x-pipe on my daily driver, so I only have two cats and the O2 sensors are super easy to get to.

Here's the old driver side sensor:
Driver+O2+Before.JPG

Here's what it looks like from a bit further back:
Driver+O2+Ahead+of+Bell.JPG

Here's the passenger side sensor:
Passenger+O2+Before.JPG

...and from a bit further back:
Passenger+O2+Ahead+of+Bell.JPG

After you've located them, simply disconnect the two sensors. All you have to do is push down the little tab and pull them apart.
Connector.JPG

Then grab your 7/8" wrench and unscrew the sensors. If it's too tight a fit and you can't get a wrench on them, the special O2 sensors socket might be a better choice here.
Wrench+on+Sensor.JPG

Now you need to grab your two new oxygen sensors and reinstall them. A word of caution/advice here - USE ONLY FACTORY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT OXYGEN SENSORS. I've discussed this at length with several knowledgable folks who I trust to know precisely whay they're talking about, including one who owns a dyno facility and has been tuning cars for over ten years. They say that the calibration of other common aftermarket sensors that can be purchased at auto parts stores is not as accurate, and does not always send the appropriate signal. The OEM Ford sensors cost a bit more, but I think it's worth it for the peace of mind knowing they'll work correctly.

I got a great price on mine through the website below. I paid ~$57 per sensor, with retail being $113 each.

http://www.directfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214290

You can use their parts locator to find the sensors for your car, and when you place your order they will ask you for the VIN number on your car. They use this to ensure you get exactly the right part for your car. I got great customer service, fast shipping, and a great price.

Here are the two sensors I installed. These are the correct Ford part numbers for a 94-95 Mustang GT with manual transmission.
New+Sensor+Package.JPG

New+Sensor+PN.JPG

Now just reinstall your new sensors and reconnect the pigtails. Don't wipe off the anti-seize on the threads! That helps keep the threads from corroding and seizing in your h-pipe.

Driver side installed:
Driver+Sensor+Installed.JPG

Passenger side installed:
Passenger+Sensor+Installed.JPG

Your done! Take the car down off the jackstands and go for a spin. Great job! :thumbsup:

Paul.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
If they havent ever been taken out WD40 or PB Blaster is your friend....

NIce write up Paul! Cant you sticky this?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
might even have to run the car for 5-10 minutes to get them good and hot. be careful or you WILL get burned

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:
If they havent ever been taken out WD40 or PB Blaster is your friend....

NIce write up Paul! Cant you sticky this?

All of the How-To articles will eventually get moved and organized in the How-To section.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Paul,

great price on the sensor.

SVT95

Reaction score
+1, thanks for the link. Those really are good prices for them.

DragonsNJ

Reaction score
VERY useful but no pics? lol I see you have places for pics but I don't see them :(

Anyways, my check engine came on and scanner says its my O2's so thank you again!

Blakonblak94

Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference in regular parts store o2's, and oem ford replacements? I have no doubt this is true. However for the price difference I want a tad bit of explanation.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
My hosting changed. I need to re-host the pictures and fix the links. I'll try to do that this weekend if I can.

Paul.

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Yeah i've heard of this, however i already bought an OE replacement from carquest and found out an OEM from ford was double the price so i said **** it.

Couple days later, so far so good.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
actaully i wouldnt advise using the " specila o2 tool " for removing them o2 sensors as it will widen the tool which will then strip ur o2 sensors..ask me how i know...I DID IT..2x ina ROW thinking the 1st time was a fluke..and i would also run the car for 3 min to warm up the threads and then spray the o2 sensors its self with PB blaster or something similar to shrink it as it cools it and itle cahse the threads and hopefully losen them for you..and if i were you id just unplug the o2 sensors and bust off the top of it so its just a stud/bolt left in the pipe and then pretty much any socket/wrench will fit on it...just a few tips...

and i also tried ebay o2 sensors and they went bogus within 4 months and i replaced so many things around them thinking for shur it couldnt be the o2's..then i got oem o2's and the problems was fixed..

walkingdisaster

Reaction score
So I replaced my o2 sensor today with a Bosch one, and the check engine light comes back up giving the same code.
Is it because I used an aftermarket one?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i beleive the OEM units are boshe, i dont remember tho.....

either way, as frankenstang said, unplug your battery for 5 minutes to clear the codes, then see if the code comes back. we can help you out from there.

walkingdisaster

Reaction score
hey, sorry for the late response.
i cleared the check engine light last night again just to be sure and it came back on today throwing p0136. Exactly what sensor is that?
Maybe I replaced the wrong one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online