How To: Water Pump Replacement (5.0 specific)

Saint

Reaction score
If your water pump is leaking this guide can be used as reference for replacement.

Signs:

-When my water pump began to go out I notice I was running low on coolant and my heat took longer than normal to get hot.
-Another sign was my coolant overflow tank was empty after one day.
-Coolant leaking on ground
-Coolant dripping from bottom of crank pulley (water pump has failed)

The coolant appearing to drip from the bottom of your crank pulley is actually coming from the water pump weep hole on the bottom.

The stuff you need:

Water pump
Water pump gasket
Bolt grease
Sealant
Gasket Scraper
Flat head screw driver
Steel wool
Rag
Bucket
Cardboard
1/2in socket (can use 13mm)
1/2in wrench
3/8th's drive socket (don't use 1/2in drive)

Now if your water pump has been on a while or you just don't know when it was replaced last the bolts may be stuck. Some have said they've snapped a bolt. To avoid this be sure to spray the bolts with PB Blaster or WD-40, Now start the car and let the motor warm up to break the bolts loose.

There are 4 bolts on the water pump pulley. Loosen the bolts while the belt is still on.(use 1/2 wrench)

YLW1pQB.jpg

Remove the belt. Now finish removing the bolts on the pulley. You will need a hammer to tap the pulley loose.

szD0LWd.jpg

Now loosen the two hoses attached to the top left of the water pump. Loosen them on both end. They may be tough to remove. Use a flat head screw driver to pry the hose off being careful not to damage the hose. Now put the bucket under the car and remove the lower radiator hose.

Now use the 3/8ths socket wrench and 1/2in socket to remove the water pump bolts. You will need to use extension for some of the bolts During this time remove the idler pulley's pulley the top left bolt will not come out without it removed. Remove the water pump.

Outline your new water pump on the cardboard you thought you didn't need. Mark where the water pump bolt holes are. Put the bolts in the holes to keep up with where they go. Every bolt is a different length

0yT97zx.jpg

sCU5YbV.jpg

Now here's where the gasket scraper comes in. Take your time while scraping. It took me 45minutes to get it smooth. Once all the old gasket is off polish the surface with your steel wool.

DmBLGsw.jpg

Now take a look at the weep hole on your water pump. Found the culprit?

ealq6HU.jpg

Clean off your bolts with PB Blaster and steel wool

WgKosTd.jpg

Use the RTV Silicone and spread it on your new water pump gasket cover the entire thing! Line up the gasket and place it on your water pump and press it down snug.

UMJvgYM.jpg

QOavlSf.jpg

Your not done spreading yet....spread sealant on the other side now

mYsnXPp.jpg

Now drop the pump down and bolt it in. Be sure to grease the bolts so they don't rust. Tighten the pump down in an alternating fashion and ensure everything is snug

NJayQQP.jpg

Now put the hoses and stuff back on my friend

ovUPBqz.jpg

Put some coolant, burp the system. I usually use my Lev-R-Vent radiator cap to help bleed air out of the cooling system

Any way...that's it.

That was my first time replacing the water pump and it took all of 3 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online