How would you remove this bearing?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am wanting to send my throttle body out at the same time as my intake to nitroplate just so that they will match since they to mount to one another. I need to remove the bearings on the side of the butterfly valve and not sure what is the best way to go about it. I am pretty sure that they were not designed to be taken out since I could not imagine what kind of use a throttle body would need to go through to burn up a bearing, but now I need it out. I have been considering my options and asking around to see if anyone else has any ideas and come up with a few.

its hard to see but you are looking directly down through the hole and the bearing is right there.
IMG_20150330_160001806.jpg

My first thought was for heat/cooling too see if it would work. I thought about popping the whole thing in the oven at low temp for 10-15 mins too see if the aluminum would expand more then the steel bearings and then maybe hit with some of that Freeze off oil or some kind of cooling spray to help?

Someone at napa suggested maybe trying to get a slide hammer/dent puller in it an if a good solid pull out would work. Sounds reasonable but I do not have a dent puller to try it.

Another person at napa suggested using some JB weld on a bold to attach to the bearing and see if it would bond well enough to give it a solid pull. This seems the least harmful off the bat as if it fails I am stuck with a bolt with jb weld on it...

I had another thought that I might be able to use these spiral flute extractor set. The largest on I can hammer down with a hammer and it would cut into the bearing but not the body to give me something to pull on, again I would need a slide hammer or maybe just go weld on/modify a set of vice grips to work as one. This option obviously will destroy the bearing if I does or des not work which I am not worried about as I am sure it can be replaced.
IMG_20150330_160115009.jpg

So what would you do? Again I don't care if the bearings are scrapped in the removal but the body needs to stay as solid as it can for when the new one is pressed in. The hole in the bearing is the same size as the hole in the body so there really isn't any way to press it out that I know off unless there is a tool made for it?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't think the ez-out idea will work since they're both hardened.
Is there no way to get to the back side of the bearing?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the hole I the body goes through on the inside of the TB housing with a bearing on each end. The holes are virtually identical from the bearing to the aluminum body so I can't just simply push a larger press in the back to push it out. There is a slight amount of space between the inside of the body and the bearing where you could maybe get the tip of a sharp/strong pic in but there isn't much space and it doesn't go all that deep either.

bluex

Reaction score
If you dont care about destroying the bearings take a punch and knock it out from the other side. It's probably not a real tight fit and I bet that will probably do it. Like mentioned earlier the ez out won't work because it will never get a good bite (been there tried that) the heat might help but you'll have to be fast. I think a punch will be your best bet.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if pushing it out meant nothing more then finding the right sized bit to do it this would not be a problem. Hopefully this pic will show the difficulty in doing that. Again these are the bearings on the butterfly valve on each side of the TB. The holes in the bearings are only SLIGHTLY smaller then the hole in the body of the tb. I would need to have a small bit that went into a larger size that I could fish through the other side and then somehow push it out. Not saying it can't happen but I fear it would need a bit that is not only the PERFECT diameter to go through the body on one side and still hit the bearing as well as be nearly the perfect length where I could fish it through and still hit the press.

IMG_20150330_192057711.jpg

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The bearing puller I designed last year would work perfectly for this situation! I wonder if I signed any intellectual property contracts while i worked there... I couldn't find anything like it on the market.

Are you able to get anything on the other side of the bearing? Like a metal insert against the inside of the bearing and slide a punch through the other side and pound it outwards? Even like a threaded rod and a nut+washer?

Edit: ah I see the problem in the photo above ^

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Why not just fashion a plate to cover it during the nitroplating process? Skip the bs altogether?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The bearing puller I designed last year would work perfectly for this situation! I wonder if I signed any intellectual property contracts while i worked there... I couldn't find anything like it on the market.

Are you able to get anything on the other side of the bearing? Like a metal insert against the inside of the bearing and slide a punch through the other side and pound it outwards? Even like a threaded rod and a nut+washer?

Edit: ah I see the problem in the photo above ^

It could go through but it could not be very long I think would be the problem. I would need a way to extend it.

Why not just fashion a plate to cover it during the nitroplating process? Skip the bs altogether?

Thought of that and contacted nitroplate to ask but they bake the final coating at 750 for I forget how many hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27YCUMzKcfE

This is the style of tool designed for that. you may can borrow one from someone.
They are about $40 shipped on Ebay

This could work thanks. I think I will still try to bake it a little tonight and see if the heat expansion with some veggie oil to cool/lubricate the bearing when I take it out.

kb1982

Reaction score
Take it to autozne and see if the inside diameter is large enough to fit a pilot bearing puller in there. If so, slide hammer it out.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Specialized bicycles makes a master bearing kit that would be perfect for that.

I use one all the time at work to pull bearings out of suspension linkages on Mtn bikes.

The tool is similar to the Harbor freight tool only better.

If you could find a bike shop that has the kit it would be quick and easy.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is an interesting possibility. I use to ride mountain bike and know a couple of mechanics in the area still I will have to hit up.

cameron57

Reaction score
Heat is my recomendation. Just like put bearing in a dirtbike. The bearings in the case

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well after going to all the bike repair shops in town to only get a strange look both to "Whats that?" then going into "Hmmm I have no idea how to get that out", then transitioning into "What do you need it out fer?", struck out at all 3. On the way home I was passing a motorcycle place and tried them. They took it back in their shop for a few minutes, then came back and asked all 3 questions before going back for few more mins before saying no they didn't have anything. I almost felt like it was groundhog day or something going through nearly the same routine in 4 different places before I went to harbor freight and got the tool. The smallest bit with it is just BARELY too big at the moment but I think I can just gently file a couple of spots to get it to fit through the hole. Keep yer fingers crossed I need all the luck I can get at this point if the tool doesn't work I will have to get creative.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well like most tools from harbor freight it didn't work out of the box but with a little work it did. The smallest bit that was in the kit was just barely too big to fit. I think it was mainly the protective coating the put on the metal to keep it from rusting as I didn't have to take much off for it to slip in. Once it was in I was amazed that it popped out of the hole with the first slide and not much effort. Sucks I had to buy a tool to do it but that is one more I have in the box I guess.

cameron57

Reaction score
Lol if you were in oklahoma My buddy could get it out.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Sorry the bike tool thing didn't work out but I'm glad you finally got it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
No apology needed I appreciated the idea and it would have been great if it did work but nothing ventured nothing gained. It didn't hurt anything but some time and gas. Big thanks to [MENTION=20718]Tony Corley[/MENTION] for showing me how to do it and where to get the tool. With all the crazy ideas that had been suggested from jbwelding something to it to heat/cool I was sure there was going to be some damage done to the bearings or the body but they will go back in with no issues at all now.

Tony Corley

Reaction score
Glad it worked out. If you continue to mess with cars, the tool will be used again. They can pull pilot bearings, rear axle bearings, etc. etc.
I have a similar set, but mine was over $1000. (has a lot more arbour sizes), and I use it all the time.
I just figured the Harbour Freight setup would do what you needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online