Hunting down "the sound" -exhaust

Fender1325

Reaction score
Running a 98 GT relatively stock, currently have 40 series flows with cutouts, basically want to get rid of it. So I was in my local advance auto and they had this area with the dynomax mufflers and stuff where they had speakers with diff muffler sounds on display. I hit the button for the Thrush Glasspacks, and bingo! thought it was awesome. It actually reminds me of my friends exhaust setup (00' stang with mac o/r X and Magnapack catback). I dont know how to describe it, I know everyone generally badmouths glasspacks but it has this sortve raspy snapping great sound, hard to describe, I suppose just the sound of a glasspack. Does anyone have glasspacks with a sound clip / video? or any reasons to seriously talk me out of it? I dont necesarily want to buy the magnapack catback for 500 bucks, especially when i think the tips look bad on our cars. so let me know whats up

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
get something other than glasspacks..they wear out after a short period. if you want that style muffler, go with SLP or i think Borla makes a straight through muffler as well.

OP
OP
F

Fender1325

Reaction score
i dont really like slp, they sound ok with a stock mid pipe but a buddy of mine has slp loudmouths with o/r H and its just rediculous, just about doesnt sound like a mustang anymore. bassani's dont do it for me either. Dynomax ultra flo is decent, also I like the flowmaster delta force (single chamber), which by the way apparently isnt street legal, so would i have trouble finding someone to weld those in. anyways more info on glasspacks would be great, i did hear they wear out after a while and just sound shitty. No idea let me know.

OP
OP
F

Fender1325

Reaction score
i wish i could describe the sound i like better, some might consider it to sound like an old truck or something, but I like it alot, its different yet still mustang sounding to me

95PGTTech

Reaction score
I am the manager of the East Windsor, NJ advance store. sparing you the rant about how much this company sucks, I know exactly the sound you're talking about - just about everyone who walks down that aisle can't resist the temptating to press that button. :hammer:

don't buy our thrush glasspacks.................

OP
OP
F

Fender1325

Reaction score
haha i figured thatd be the general consensus, especially at them being like 28 bucks a peice BUT now I'm still on the hunt for the sound of that thrush glasspack but i suppose more quality. the hunt continues!

OP
OP
F

Fender1325

Reaction score
its kinda hard to tell because it keeps reving and no idle sound in the vid, but thats not really the sound im looking for. I showed my buddy what the sound is like and he said it sounded like a truck or a boat, which ive heard people say. I realize this one has cams, but if you go to mustangexhaust.com, and go to gt mustangs, and the dynomax ultraflo mufflers, third entry down, this one sounds a good bit like what Im looking for.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
stock manifolds.... but its in the signature. Oneday i'm going longtubes with the same setup, should change the sound ALOT

stunner

Reaction score
i have a 98 gt and i have imco one chamber mufflers with dumps and i also have shorty headers so it really sounds nice

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
To me it sounds like SLP Loud Mouth 1s with a catted midpipe is almost exactly what you are looking for. And I'm not just saying that because it's my setup either. It's the same "loudness" as an offroad H and Flows but is legal and just sounds like a racecar. It is kind of hard to describe the tone of it besides being a little bubbly if that makes sense. Here is a clip of my car with a catted X and LM1s. Also check out WyotechMSA's sound clips on his cobra with a catted H.

OP
OP
F

Fender1325

Reaction score
thanks for postin up guys, they both sound really great. I initially was all about the dynomax ultraflo, then the slp now has me second guessing. Vendetta do you have the whole dynomax catback or just the mufflers, and if so whered you buy it/how much?

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Fender1325 said:
thanks for postin up guys, they both sound really great. I initially was all about the dynomax ultraflo, then the slp now has me second guessing. Vendetta do you have the whole dynomax catback or just the mufflers, and if so whered you buy it/how much?

just the mufflers in stock tails.. got the ultra flows from advanced. It's very stealty with the stock tails yet sounds good

ripper

Reaction score
Nope thats my flux capacitor goin bad. Makes a weird whinning noise. ;)

LJmagicJJ

Reaction score
slp lm 1 w/ off road h is my setup..... it's pretty loud. some ppl hate it and others love it.

ripper

Reaction score
Loud is good ^-^ WTF man its a sports car its aposta be loud. :eek:uttahere: Louder the better if ya ask me. If they didnt have noise restrictions at our track id cut them friggin muffs off right now :banana:

ripper

Reaction score
Then id send them to Twista to add to his collection :hammer:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online