Hydraulic Clutch issues

07GtS197

Reaction score
The 00 Gt I just picked up has a McLeod hydraulic clutch in it. It used to engage almost on the floor so I adjusted it to engage closer to the middle but it still has issues. I’m getting blocked out of gears, hard to shift and it’ll grind going into first sometimes. I checked the synchros by lightly pushing the shifter into the gate of each gear and all gears were fine so I’m thinking this pos still isn’t adjusted correctly. Anyone have any experience with this setup?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Dose it feel spongy like not a solid hard push
If it is spongy like bleed the system

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
No it’s not spongy. It’s funny, it has the same symptoms that my 07 Gt had. I never figured it out before I parked it but I’m thinking it’s either the pressure plate or slave cylinder.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
You hear any rattle noise coming from the clutch itself
Thats a sign you pressure plate is weak

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The way I test mine is to jack it up all 4 corners
Apply park brake just enough to simulate car is on ground
Go under to hear noises while someone else is going through the gears running

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
No noises that I can hear, I’ll have to tinker with it some more. I work the next two days and today Elsa is dumping rain on me so I won’t be able to mess with it until the weekend.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
So where should I start? I called McLeod yesterday and they said I could send it in and have it rebuilt for 50 bucks but that’ll leave me without the car. I don’t have a good place to park it and I can’t drop the trans so that a no go. Adjusting it will have to do for now.

Chip66

Reaction score
I've heard lots of troubles with the McLeod hydraulic conversions. Usually, the slave cylinder leaking.

If you are getting blocked out of gears, the clutch is not disengaging completely. With the rear wheels off the ground, in gear with the clutch depressed the wheels should not turn. Driving with the clutch not fully disengaging will kill synchros quickly.

If it is not leaking and it takes too much pedal it's possible the wrong slave or master cylinder is in the car causing too little range at the slave cylinder.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Thanks Chip I figured as much. I’ll get on it when I get time. I hate to do it but I’ll probably go back to the stock setup. Either way I have to pull the trans I guess.

Scott, as far as I know no. I like the fact that’s it’s different and it feels good but it’s been a pain in the ass.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
ill just keep it simple , if its not broke im not fixing it
what i have got works fine
a lot of these crazy basterdizing mods bite you in the ass

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m going to play with the adjustment a little more but I think there is a leak somewhere. I can hold the clutch in with it in gear and it won’t start to roll so I don’t think it’s the cup seals in the master. It seems to me like it’s not engaging all the way like stated above. Reshimming the slave cylinder might fix it but I’d have to drop the trans to do that. No garage to do that in makes that a no go.

Something I wanted to add was that I could hold the clutch to the floor for a few seconds then try to put it in first and it’ll grind. The synchros aren’t doing their job but I’m thinking it’s because the clutch like chip said. I really don’t want to have to replace this transmission if I don’t have to.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
I Just installed a Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch kit. First time I installed it, i had the same symptoms as yours. Checked and found spacing of the slave piston needed to be adjusted 1/4” further toward the clutch. Slave piston extension is 0.7” max So losing a quarter inch doesn’t let the clutch fully disengage. If your slave piston is bad, it might not get to full extension. Also if your master cylinder reed valve is bad, the master cylinder is likely not sending enough hydraulic fluid to the slave. Don’t remove the whole transmission to remove the slave cylinder, disconnect the transmission from the bell housing and move it back far enough to remove the slave piston. The bolts holding the bell housing to the engine are a bear to get to and remove but the bolts holding the transmission to the bell housing are very easy to get to.

GeneralPattyn

Reaction score
I installed Modern Driveline last fall. It was fine for 200 miles now 4th gear grinds.

The funny thing is that the clutch isn't any easier to push down. I really don't want to pull the tranny out again.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I thought the bellhousing wasn’t removeable? I know the t5 it is. It seems like my best bet is to go with a factory setup. Yay.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I messed with the adjuster some more and no grinding with the clutch in. It seems to be better but the shifting is a little notchy now and requires a little more effort. And it has an annoying issue with the steering but one problem at a time.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ok I’m starting to get sick of this clutch. I bled it and got some air out but it didn’t help at all. What happens is the first time I push the clutch to the floor it’s wide open, I put it in gear and slip the clutch then push it in again. This time it won’t release all the way. I can see the rpms are a little lower and I can hear the transmission making a whirring sound so I know it’s not engaging all the way and dragging. How is this happening?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online