I’m looking for a 98-2000 Mach 460 head unit!!

OP
OP
1998MustangVert

1998MustangVert

Reaction score
if you click on his name on the left you can start a conversation.

Just out of curiosity what is all on the mix tape?
They’re nothing special,.. the reason I’m looking for a new head unit is for the cassette mechanism. I want to be able to use a Bluetooth adapter to play music from my phone. I just prefer the stock look in these cars to anything else.

TrickVert

Reaction score
They’re nothing special,.. the reason I’m looking for a new head unit is for the cassette mechanism. I want to be able to use a Bluetooth adapter to play music from my phone. I just prefer the stock look in these cars to anything else.
That's why I did this: :)

Well, that and being a convertible, I figured having what looks like a stock stereo would reduce the chance of coming out of somewhere and finding my top cut to shreds and an empty hole in the dash.

EDIT: I added THIS BLUETOOTH MODULE. You could likely do the same to a factory head unit using the Tape/Aux mod MyLittlePony mentioned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1998MustangVert

1998MustangVert

Reaction score

Well, that and being a convertible, I figured having what looks like a stock stereo would reduce the chance of coming out of somewhere and finding my top cut to shreds and an empty hole in the dash.

EDIT: I added THIS BLUETOOTH MODULE. You could likely do the same to a factory head unit using the Tape/Aux mod MyLittlePony mentioned.

thanks!! This will have to be something I look into next year. I’ve already hit my limit on expenditures for this year, but thank you for that. How did you install that new head unit?

TrickVert

Reaction score
It's a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X689 single-DIN radio istalled where the CD player would go. I believe I just used the parts that came with the radio, and an extra Ford rear slide support I had. I wired the accessory/switched 12VDC lead to the antenna output on the factory deck, so when the factory deck is off, the Kenwood stays dormant. When you push the OEM stereo power button, it turns on the Kenwood.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That remote output is only really meant to power a relay I am surprised you have not blown the output on the factory deck.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's an input trigger only. Main power for the head unit is pulled from the constant +12VDC.
well yes and no as I am willing to bet if you look at the switched (red) power input it normally has a 10 amp fuse on it. Besides that the remote output on the mach system is a 9v system so I am surprised it even powers it up from that aspect.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The Kenwood uses the switched power (red wire) only to a trigger an input to "tell" the unit to power up. The power lead that runs the amp, etc. is not the switched power wire. It is a larger (yellow) wire connected constant 12 volt source.

Screenshot_20200830-214113.png

Also, I used the *antenna* power wire from the OEM deck, not the amp power signal.

Overboost

Reaction score

now that is a slick setup....

apsmith49921

Reaction score
OP... what bluetooth adapter are you using

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Flade

Reaction score
I have a couple head units from 94-98. They are all the same for the Mach 460. In most cases it was the CD player that failed so I upgraded the head unit. If you still need one let me know and I’ll send you pics of what I have

Connie

Reaction score
MAN! Talk of Cassette Tapes makes me feel young again. I hope your memories are recorded on Maxell UD-XL II's. I still have mine from over 30 Years ago, and still sound fresh. But, as said, I do think transferring yours to CD, is the best bet though. BOB.

delling3

Reaction score
This sounds dumb, but I’m new to the forums... how do I do that? I tried going to your profile but it says that you have limited certain people to see it
Go to the top of the page and click on your screen name, then click on conversations, then select start a new conversation. This forum uses "conversation" in place of the more common "private message" but it's the same thing.

97ponygt

Reaction score
Just to touch on the abs light what year is the mustang? Just found a way to read the abs codes without a diagnostic tool so want to pass on my new found information if it is applicable to your year.

97ponygt

Reaction score
Okay yeah you can read your ABS light code using a paper clip and putting it in two specific terminals on the abs port. It’s the two ports with the orange/white and black wiring.

Five

Reaction score
I know this is old, but I have one if you still need it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.