I’ve graduated!

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I'm gonna say since there aren't any pictures this didnt really happen :)

I just now saw them in the other thread lol.

Did you pull new wires and all that

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its funny how a double din touchscreen and camera suddenly makes the car feel brand new/different. I am still getting use to mine and how it works.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
29DCE20F-2BBB-4F4E-9F52-1662D46AC7CE.jpeg

91EDE977-4826-4EAD-97F2-A80A30369DEE.jpeg

71C04DCC-98A2-4585-A3E2-AF0B6FBC5C21.jpeg

Yes, all new wires. The installer called mid-day said he didn’t like how it was sounding so as a payback for me having to wait a few extra days for the vendor to supply the console piece, he rewired the entire system!

System sounds great. Huge improvement over former system (which wasn’t terrible, mind you). And it’s a big help having the back up camera(money well spent now vs adding it later). Only thing he suggested was adding a mini amp (small in size but powerful) to maximize this system’s sound and capabilities.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ttocs,
Yes! Feels like a 25-yr old car is up to date with the current models. Amazing how a few creature comforts can change the landscape for the better!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How’s it sounding??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Evil,
It sounds good, especially with the EQ feature. But....(there’s always a “but”, right?)... I, personally, love to drive with the windows down, in lieu of running the AC. So, I think the stereo shops recommendation of the mini sized amp will be necessary to get the sound level up to “windows down” @ 75mph speed and noise level!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
oh you should have told me about the wires. I could have told him the harness to find for the stock speaker wires, and then the harness to use to plug into them. There is a harness in the dash that plugs into the stock amp for the tweeters under the radio. IF you use it for the speaker wires you can just use the tweeter signal wire instead of the woofer wires everyone tries to use.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
@ttocs I'll hit you up sometime this winter. I want to keep the mach 460 and do exactly what Daryl did. Hell probably similar head unit as well.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
@ttocs I'll hit you up sometime this winter. I want to keep the mach 460 and do exactly what Daryl did. Hell probably similar head unit as well.

if your wanting to keep the stock speakers it gets a little more tricky to keep it sounding good but it can be done. The biggest problem is the amps are known to cause battery drains and now the speakers are reaching past the age they were meant to play.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
if your wanting to keep the stock speakers it gets a little more tricky to keep it sounding good but it can be done. The biggest problem is the amps are known to cause battery drains and now the speakers are reaching past the age they were meant to play.
Is there a decent middle of the road option? I dont want a super high quality system just something I can turn up and sound good. To me the "quality of sound" from a mach 460 is ok by me

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would replace the 4 5x7" speakers and add a small self powered sub and it will sound better than the 460 myself but we can get the stock speakers playing till your tired of them, your battery dying or you find a good deal on some gear on a black friday or something.

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
Is there a decent middle of the road option? I dont want a super high quality system just something I can turn up and sound good. To me the "quality of sound" from a mach 460 is ok by me

I had a friend that was a genius about car audio and worked at a custom audio shop back in the 90’s when I bought my ‘95. You typically don’t want to run power into an amp and I was hesitant but he advised me to run an Alpine head unit that was putting out 80 watts into the Mach 460 system. It made a big difference and sounded great. I added a self powered woofer in the trunk later just for grins but I didn’t really need it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ron,
I concur!!! I also just want a “sounds good “ system. I don’t need or want a system that vibrates the glass out of the weatherstripping. No, I want to hear my music AND the 5.0 concurrently

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg Addendum:

I bought 2 NOS front speakers from CJ Pony Parts, installed them, hardly used them and never “blasted” them loudly. Free + shipping to 1st taker.

Addendum: I also have the 2 rear speakers. Same offer...

Last edited:

NEURON

Reaction score
I used all the stock stuff and just replaced the head unit, sounds excellent to me, you have to get a head unit with a good equalizer to get the right sound. Well under a $100.00 with the harness adapter and installation kit, I like doing it myself and save money. I think I listen to the Dynomax's almost as much.

IMG_1930 - Copy.JPG

NEURON

Reaction score
Oops forgot other pix. This is how it looked after pulling out the old crappy head unit(some off brand name no equalizer and sounded like it was underwater). Gotta love the crimp-ons. I don't think anyone knows how to solder and shrink tubing things anymore. Check out the bailing wire, need to find a good replacement one of these days.
20161122_173158 - Copy.jpg 20161116_143204 - Copy.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
inside the car there isn't really anything wrong with crimp connectors especially if it is not for non-permanent wiring like radios often are. Outside the car where water can get in they are not good.

joe65

Reaction score
View attachment 6617

View attachment 6618

View attachment 6619

Yes, all new wires. The installer called mid-day said he didn’t like how it was sounding so as a payback for me having to wait a few extra days for the vendor to supply the console piece, he rewired the entire system!

System sounds great. Huge improvement over former system (which wasn’t terrible, mind you). And it’s a big help having the back up camera(money well spent now vs adding it later). Only thing he suggested was adding a mini amp (small in size but powerful) to maximize this system’s sound and capabilities.

looks good. i am jealous!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online