I bought a New block

jpajkos

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I wrote acouple right ups saying I was going to put on an ATI procharger on a PI block. Well been thinking about it and ran up on a great deal. A guy who lives about 10 miles from me was selling a block with only 22k miles on it out of an 03 GT. It's a PI block bored .30 over to a 285 with manley pistons and balance crank out of a 97 Cobra. I got this block for 500 bucks!! Im going to leave it in the garage and just start building it. Get it ready for an ATI Stage 2 Procharger intercooled. With the stock P.I. with all the extra's I have in my sig my tuner told me I should max myself out to around 8psi to ensure I don't detonate the motor. Well now having this motor all bored out forged internals ready to go I can now tune this block up to 15-17psi without any problem. Im going to do this right and add a set of VT Blower Spec cams with Ported heads also from VT. This motor Im hoping for the blower will produce great number. After the motor is built around next summer I will then sell my whole P.I. setup to make up for some of the cost. Im really excited about this. Any suggestions on a good setup? I was waiting out to see what the Trickflow intake will wield as far as power. But I know im defiantly going to have VT do the cams and heads for me. Thanks for taking a look at the post. Here's a pic of the block

motor.jpg

98armygt

Reaction score
congrats on the block. that is one hell of a deal. i do have a question for ya though. i know you said that you got new pistons and a cobra crank but what about the rods? i heard that those are the weakest points in the modular blocks. are those aftermarket as well??

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
98armygt said:
congrats on the block. that is one hell of a deal. i do have a question for ya though. i know you said that you got new pistons and a cobra crank but what about the rods? i heard that those are the weakest points in the modular blocks. are those aftermarket as well??

All internals are forged. This motor in completly forged and balanced. Im making plans right now with Scott from VT on heads and cams. I will be attempting to build this block on my own which shouldn't be too hard. Scott told me with a stage 2 blower cams and ported and polished intake and heads I can look at gains from 60-80 rwhp. My goal is to keep the compression low. N/A this block should put out around 350 to the wheels so with a good blower such as the procharger I will achieve my 400-450 daily driver. I will have 3 custom bank tunes on this. One daily tune for 91 octane tuned at 12 psi. Anothor tuned at 15-17 psi and a race tune. I still have alot of work ahead of me and the car will be on jack stands come the 1st of the year for at least 6-8 months. Im just glad I have most of my suspension already. Install will be alot eaiser now with the car completely dismantled.

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
VT will be supplying the cams. I will send out my P.I. head to VT to have them ported and polished. VT will have these cams installed and crated to me so all I have to do is slap um on the motor :D. The cams will be .530/.570 lift, 220/230 .050" duration with new springs so I can rev it up to around 6500. I will also install the accfuab plenum and throttle body. I've been doing my research and it seems like accufab is a pretty good company when it comes to the 2v's and have reported the biggest gains according to MM&FF. The CAI will most likely by the C&L kit since it will come with the cai and MAF. I know when it comes to bolt ons they won't do much. I will slap on my steeda pullies from my current motor. I will also have to buy a new flywheel since this car has a cobra crank. I was told it has a 9 bolt pattern? not sure but I know i will have to buy a new flywheel.

I have most of my suspension parts already such as my Max Motor. LCA's, CC plates, subframes, and the AGX adjustable shocks. I will send back my eibach sportline springs. On eibachs website there's ALOT of reviews that they bottom out way to much. So I will probably end up going with the H&R's. Other then that it will have a ATI procharger with 2 tunes. 1st tune will be daily driven 10-12 psi, and a track tune of 14-17 psi. The car will be pullied and chipped. Im hoping for something around 400-450 rwhp. It won't stop there. Im looking into the t56 transmission swap so I can run a 3.73 gear but will see if I can afford to after everything will be done with the motor. I will also be looking into a pan hard bar and k member also. When I start buying parts here with in the next few weeks I will take some pic's of my progress.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's awsome man! Congrads!!

Legend of speed - coming up. :)

Having your heads ported and Blower cams put in is the RIGHT way to do it. that thing will kick ass!
I'm a big supporter of the panhard. You'll want as much power to the ground as you can get.
you may need stickier tires when your all done.

Got a good clutch?
T56 will be nice, you should also look at the TKO - the 500 with hardened input and output shafts is good to 650 TQ and cost's less than a T56 which is raited for less.

On the K member I'd suggest Maximum Motorsports. I did a bunch of searching before I did mine, MM had consistant feedback for being the best riding K out there. I have the Qa1...the reason for that is the turbo kit I'm getting is designed to fit it, otherwise I'd have gone MM.

Good luck man, that will be a sweet setup!

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
The TKO's are good transmission but I don't want to be forced with a 5 speed or auto. I have the Nitto 555r's for summer and the good year DSG F1's in the rear right now. I have a king cobra clutch but I probably will be putting on the centerforce as soon as this one finally gives in which shouldn't be too long after the motor is built. I have been talking with scott over at VT. He said if I was to do a transmisson swap a Viper Spec'd t56 would be the way to go. I can run a 3.73 gear with the blower and not have to worry about running through all 5 gears. He also said it would keep my cruising rpm's around 2800-3000k on the highway which is what im at now with my 4.10s. But I still have alot of other work to do such at the moser 31 spline axles, aluminium drive shaft and probably beef up the rear end later on. But the axles and drive shaft will be the least I will do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online