i dont get import car hype, someone help me understand

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
driftingmustang said:
Paul said:
The import craze is the reason I can't go streetracing in a quasi-"safe" environment anymore. It's the reason I've had guns pulled on me. It's the reason being a car guy is suddenly a bad thing. It's the reason the cops are after anyone driving anything resembling a performance car.

f**k the import craze. The stupid bastards have had a substantial negative impact on being a car enthusiast.

[/rant]

Paul.
I blame it on the fast and furios,people used to street race in a certain pert of sarasota all the time (imports and domestics, mostley imports) behind some where houses. the cops didnt care and even joined in sometimes. then the movie cameout,people complained and they cracked down on it, even though no one was ever hurt.
and that movie ushered in all the idiots too.

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
White 96GT said:
long story short. People like Imports because, Us kids 16-18 that still live with their parents can afford to buy them and still have money left over to mod. I almost got beat by a 500 dollar laser with a bigger turbo (400) bucks he told me and a boost controller He had lets say 1500 bucks in that car and it dam near out ran my 96GT (basically stock) that cost me 6500 bucks.
dont believe him on how much he spent,and if he cut that many corners,i bet you somethings gonna blow up, be burnt,blow gasket, melt pistons, etc.

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
Paul said:
I don't follow the whole "budget" thing. Hondas usually cost more than a fox Mustang. Newer Honda's definitely cost more than what you can get a good 94-95 5.0 for.

I've seen nothing that shows that 4 banger performance is cheaper than V8 performance. You spend thousands of dollars to keep up with a stock Mustang with gears. :lame:

Paul.
here is what my research turned up, based on customizing a 240sx. 50hp turbokit 2,000 dollars. and unreliability issues (on stock parts)

anything bigger including all the engine parts, not just turbo kit. 6,000 for turbo and pistons etc. Fuel managment system, 500 dollars. LSD (most dont have stock) 500 dollars. not counting that youl need heavier duty tranaxles, chasis reinforcement (and it's added wieght, wich ricers forget about), ecu tuning, wider tires to put that power to the ground more effectively, all this to get what, like 300hp.

1996 with 80,000 miles 240sx = 7000 dollars

1991 with over 200,000 miles and tons of things wrong with it = 1500 dollars

( i was thinking of buying one at one time since i like drifting)

I paid 2,700 for my 96 GT with 172,000 miles, which all it needed was to clean the injectors, and throttle body and plenum. it needed new keys cause it snaped in half in the ignition. here's all that's left to be done performance wise. it's wheels need to be alighned. and needs new clutch. need new peddles cause they are so worn the rubber slips off the brake pedal.

Schiffy

Reaction score
Can somebody summarize all this? i don't have enough timeor patience to read these posts... LOL... my 7 month old just won't allow it. we need a summary! :help2:

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
BadBlack95GT said:
Can somebody summarize all this? i don't have enough timeor patience to read these posts... LOL... my 7 month old just won't allow it. we need a summary! :help2:

Cliff Notes:

Imports = Shit

Paul.

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
BadBlack95GT said:
srry, too much to say , and to many diffrnt opinions, skim over them i guess

Schiffy

Reaction score
Paul said:
BadBlack95GT said:

Cliff Notes:

Imports = Shit

Paul.

Not quite... my import is GREAT! it gets my wife to and from school, and means she doesn't get to drive the Mustan O0g! On the other hand, she bought it before we started dating, and then got married, so i had no say so. otherwise i would have talked her into a Focus, or a maybe a Ford Fusion. oh well... our next car will be an SUV and more than likely a Ford Edge, or if she gets her way (not as long as i'm making the money) a Honda CRV.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
well honestly...I only know one import owner that was respectable..but he also spent like 10k on a engine swap, tranny swap and every other mod he could get for his civic si....

it took him all that to keep up with my brothers auto gt with gears....

\
honestly...4 bangers are a wast IMO...

now 6 cylinders with a turbo ...sounds like a good plan

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
BadBlack95GT said:
Paul said:
BadBlack95GT said:

Cliff Notes:

Imports = Shit

Paul.

Not quite... my import is GREAT! it gets my wife to and from school, and means she doesn't get to drive the Mustan O0g! On the other hand, she bought it before we started dating, and then got married, so i had no say so. otherwise i would have talked her into a Focus, or a maybe a Ford Fusion. oh well... our next car will be an SUV and more than likely a Ford Edge, or if she gets her way (not as long as i'm making the money) a Honda CRV.
eww, a hond :puke: crv, gross:puke:. I dont like focus either. Fusion or ford suv or crossover sounds great. hell, even nissan, atleast thier sports cars come standard (and nothing else) with 6 cylinders.

tooslow

Reaction score
driftingmustang said:
White 96GT said:
long story short. People like Imports because, Us kids 16-18 that still live with their parents can afford to buy them and still have money left over to mod. I almost got beat by a 500 dollar laser with a bigger turbo (400) bucks he told me and a boost controller He had lets say 1500 bucks in that car and it dam near out ran my 96GT (basically stock) that cost me 6500 bucks.
dont believe him on how much he spent,and if he cut that many corners,i bet you somethings gonna blow up, be burnt,blow gasket, melt pistons, etc.

its a DSM, that stuff is going to happen regardless. i know someone with over $10k into their 4g63. headwork, cams, gt30'something'R turbo. it put down over 400AWHP. it shit a piston not long afterwards.

tooslow

Reaction score
Side Note:

the only imports i would consider owning with intent to make performance modifications.

- AWD DSM
- Nissan 240sx
- Nissan 300zx turbo
- Mitsu 3000gt vr4
- Evo (not so much, too 'boyracer' looking for me)

and thats about it.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Peopel rod what they get handed down to them or can buy cheap, gotta admire them for that. I agree money is better spent on other car's, but I own a 97 GT, so I know about money pit's.

As for ignorance, you owuldn't beleive how many people think my 4.6 is a V6, Ford people. Or think my 4.6 intereceptor emblems mean something special, or think cop cars have nitrous or jet motor's. I could go on and on really, I can find an idiot driving any type of car, at any fairground. Honda has nothing to do with that.

I recently had a boulevard dispute with a guy driving a friggin 02 Silverado longbox. The thing was stone stock, 5.3 auto, sled. He told me all about his "'Vette motor", and the "chip that can add 100 hp, hes already at 300, then he'll be at 400". While I listened politely and told him all about my V6 that had the exhaust fall off, a loose powersteering belt cuasing a whistling sound, and the fact that if I popped my clutch at 5k, I would just stall. (See sigline, lol). I happily took his money from him, and this hillbilly has never touched a Honda in his life, and never will. Ignorance comes in all forms, I'm just happy there is more muscle out there for me!

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
Hellion94 said:
I agree with you in that there is ignorance on both sides, but the ignrance that is typical on our side of the coin seems to be much less damaging to the overall car culture than the ignorance on that side of the coin. No one makes movies that feature facts, or display events in the way that they would actually happen. No, instead they make movies that glorify imposibilities and wrong terminology, which kids that don't know any better then interperet as fact. That's the unfortunate part.

Also, the kid you talked to was actualy right. There have been several people that have hit 12's with stock 5 liter 86-93 LX's and GT's. Totally stock engines, with CAI's, pulleys, exhaust, and gears.

Here's a link to a thread, with videos.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=894246&highlight=stock+motor

Here's another very good one:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=757809&highlight=stock+motor

Trust me I know how good a 5.0 is with bolt-ons, he's talking bone stock as in off a showroom floor stock, stock gears with street tires. BTW, the cars you linked also had weight reduction and suspension work. Really suspension, tires, and weight reduction will get you further as far as 1/4 times (for the money) than minor bolt-ons like CAI and exhaust will unless the car has huge bottlenecks in that area. A stock engine doesn't necessarily make a stock vehicle in my book.....and CAIs, pulleys, exhaust..that ain't stock either, if that were the case any engine that used the stock block could be a "stock" engine.

Hellion94

Reaction score
Simply employing a stock block would not make anything stock.

Those cars have the stock engines. Really. They have the stock internals, in a stock block, with stock heads, stock lifters, rocker arms, valvesprings, stock intakes, stock throttle bodies, and stock engine management.

In regards to the pulleys and CAI, answer me this: If you simply removed something from an engine, would that mean that the engine is not stock? Let's say that I simply removed the air silencer, or took off the stock air box. I haven't touched the engine, all I've done is allowed more air into it. The engine itself is stock. If I removed an accessory such as the air conditioning or smog pump, that's not part of the engine. It's attached to it, but it's not part of it. Removing those two items would cover the amount of power that you would gain from pulleys. Still, the engine itself is stock, never been cracked open or messed with, just the accessory drives and the air that passes through the mass air into the throttle body.

I would still consider this a stock car. Also, simply taking stuff out of a car, like the spare tire and jack, or rear seat, does not mean the car isn't stock, at least not in my eyes. But I understand that that is debatable.

I agree with you about the suspension components though, those are not stock items. I thought you were referring more to the engines in your original post.

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Don't know if this was mentioned, because I don't feel like reading all the walls of text.

Japan and Europe have taxes based on displacement of cubic inches. Hence, why their are tons of small cubic inch motors in both lands. America doesn't take on extra taxes because you bought a 5.7 liter when you could have bought a 3.5 liter V6.

Even though anyone with a brain knows that more cubic inches means more power across the spectrum of stock or power adder.

"Horse Power sells cars, and Torq wins races."

And as you look at the turbo'd in line 4's. They torq numbers are still sloppy poor even though they put up nice hp number.

350Z vs 05 GT

350Z 300 hp 250 or so lbs of torq
05 GT 305 hp 320 lbs of torq

And the GT will eat a 350Z on the straight line even though it weighs 50 to 100 lbs more. Why? Torq. Don't get me wrong because the 350Z has a lighter motor, which helps its handling. You have to go aftermarket in an 05 GT to out handle a 350Z. But ou have to go aftermarket in a 350Z to out run a 05 GT. Heck, the 99-04 GT's run even with 350Z's with 260 hp and 305 torq. Yet, still both Mustangs kill on top end power. Top end as in 140 mph +.

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
Hellion94 said:
Simply employing a stock block would not make anything stock.

Those cars have the stock engines. Really. They have the stock internals, in a stock block, with stock heads, stock lifters, rocker arms, valvesprings, stock intakes, stock throttle bodies, and stock engine management.

In regards to the pulleys and CAI, answer me this: If you simply removed something from an engine, would that mean that the engine is not stock? Let's say that I simply removed the air silencer, or took off the stock air box. I haven't touched the engine, all I've done is allowed more air into it. The engine itself is stock. If I removed an accessory such as the air conditioning or smog pump, that's not part of the engine. It's attached to it, but it's not part of it. Removing those two items would cover the amount of power that you would gain from pulleys. Still, the engine itself is stock, never been cracked open or messed with, just the accessory drives and the air that passes through the mass air into the throttle body.

I would still consider this a stock car. Also, simply taking stuff out of a car, like the spare tire and jack, or rear seat, does not mean the car isn't stock, at least not in my eyes. But I understand that that is debatable.

I agree with you about the suspension components though, those are not stock items. I thought you were referring more to the engines in your original post.

Everybody defines stock differently, but his argument was talking about a car with absolutely no modifications whatsoever, just with what Ford provided you with (including air silencers so on and so forth).

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
caseypayne69 said:
Don't know if this was mentioned, because I don't feel like reading all the walls of text.

Japan and Europe have taxes based on displacement of cubic inches. Hence, why their are tons of small cubic inch motors in both lands. America doesn't take on extra taxes because you bought a 5.7 liter when you could have bought a 3.5 liter V6.

Even though anyone with a brain knows that more cubic inches means more power across the spectrum of stock or power adder.

"Horse Power sells cars, and Torq wins races."

And as you look at the turbo'd in line 4's. They torq numbers are still sloppy poor even though they put up nice hp number.

350Z vs 05 GT

350Z 300 hp 250 or so lbs of torq
05 GT 305 hp 320 lbs of torq

And the GT will eat a 350Z on the straight line even though it weighs 50 to 100 lbs more. Why? Torq. Don't get me wrong because the 350Z has a lighter motor, which helps its handling. You have to go aftermarket in an 05 GT to out handle a 350Z. But ou have to go aftermarket in a 350Z to out run a 05 GT. Heck, the 99-04 GT's run even with 350Z's with 260 hp and 305 torq. Yet, still both Mustangs kill on top end power. Top end as in 140 mph +.
actualy no one did bring up this point and i must say i completely agree. i used to drive around a acura 3.2 tl which is about the ame weight as an sn95. it was a 3.2L V6 vtech that redlined (if i remember correctley) at 7,000 rpm. the output was 215 hp with 190 or so tq. it was a fwd automatic so im gonna guess it get's about the same hp to the wheels as my 96 GT manual transmission. it's not even a fair match in straight line acceleration. not even close. in the also, when you put another person acura, you can feel the diffrence in acceleration, but in my mustang, feels exactley the same.

bottlefed97

Reaction score
IMHO.... The bottom line is this: We like what we like, and they like what they like. Let them enjoy their cars, and we'll enjoy ours. BUT, if they decide to act stupid and do something that would put you/your car in danger, F*CK them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online