I got a problem

916_5.0

Reaction score
Ok so i was driving home today and all of a sudden my stereo starts turning on and off all of a sudden. Likr every half minute or minute it turns off. So about five minutes later i notice that my gauges doent work well atleast my speedo and tach dont work thats all i really noticed. So i pull into a gas station and turn my car off and pop the hood to see if maybe something was loose or anything. So everything looks fine so i get back in my car and try to start it and it wont even turnover it just makes this ticking spinning kind of sound when i turn the key likemy battery is dead. So we jump my car off of my friends stang and it fires right up everything works fine gauges and stereo are all good. So i start driving to autozone and i get about half a mile and my stereo turns off again and then my gauges thenabout a mile later my car just turns off all the way and wont do anything when i turn the key now not even the clicking sound. So i sit there and try turn the key a few times but nothing happens but when i have my key turned to the on position something starts makeing a beep i took my face plate off the stereo and the beep continues. It beeps like 4 or 5 times then stops then does it again a few seconds later. My engine light didnt come on or anything but the second time my car died my ABS light did come on after i jumped my car. SO we push my car across an intersection to autozone, and i pull my alt. and test it everything passes. So we take my battery and test it and when it is running the test the meter reads like 2.4 for or somtething then jumps to like 8 and thats as high as it got. My battery is only like 4 months old so we charged it and it held a full charge so i put eveything back together and fire it up everyhting works fine again i let it idle for about ten minutes and everything seems fine. So i drive home which was about 2 or 3 miles so i get drive home and everything is fine so i have no idea whats wrong. With my car.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Im not sure if it is like shorting somewhere maybe a battery cable or something. I hope something is wrong with my computer but it seems like some kind of code would have come up if that was it. Also after we charged my battery and i drove home the ABS light wasnt on. I dont know what the hell that beep could be though. I my starter is getting old and should be replaced pretty soon cause my car takes a second to fire up cause that is pretty old. But i dont think that would drain my battery like that.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Oh also a while ago probably about two months or so i was driving home and my rpms would randomly jump up to like 3 grand at a stop light and my car would also like surge really bad. So i get home and notice that the little cable that has the ring on the end of it and threads onto the back of the alt. It was sparking and was metled off so it wasnt really touching my alt. at all. So i take it off and Took all those wires off of my car and re wrap them and put an extra alt. that i had on my car and everyhting was fine. Im not sure if that cable got messed up somehow but it seems like if that was it something would have happend before, because today my car drove fine to work and everywhere i went. Then all of a sudden my stereo started freaking out and then everyhting else got messed up.

G

GREG@SN95

Do you have an aftermarket stereo?

Something with big subs and amp? If so do you have a capacitor?

idk... It sounds like the batt just needed a charge... if it happens again, then there is something draining the batt...

G

GREG@SN95

916_5.0 said:
Oh also a while ago probably about two months or so i was driving home and my rpms would randomly jump up to like 3 grand at a stop light and my car would also like surge really bad. So i get home and notice that the little cable that has the ring on the end of it and threads onto the back of the alt. It was sparking and was metled off so it wasnt really touching my alt. at all. So i take it off and Took all those wires off of my car and re wrap them and put an extra alt. that i had on my car and everyhting was fine. Im not sure if that cable got messed up somehow but it seems like if that was it something would have happend before, because today my car drove fine to work and everywhere i went. Then all of a sudden my stereo started freaking out and then everyhting else got messed up.

wait... an extra alternator?

what do you mean by that?

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
As far as stereo i have full pioneer head unit and component speakers and a bazooka bass tube, i put all that in about a year ago though and havent ever had a problem its nothing to crazy though. And i had an alt. off my buddys cobra in my garage so i put that on a while ago when the otehr one got messed up.

G

GREG@SN95

I'm gonna guess that the batt just needed a good charge due to the poor connection to the alternator...

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah thats what im hoping. Because when i changed that alt. I had to change the connector to the alt. which had melted. so i used one of those little metal rings with the plastic piece that the wire goes in it didnt really fit that well but it worked so i jsut taped it on there. This time though i used a big copper one that the cable actually fit into so that should hold pretty well.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
So hopefully when i wake up tomorrow my car isnt retarded and will be ok/ Im hoping it is anything serrious and i fixed it today.

G

GREG@SN95

916_5.0 said:
So hopefully when i wake up tomorrow my car isnt retarded and will be ok/ Im hoping it is anything serrious and i fixed it today.

If it happens again you have something draining the battery...

I think ya'll be fine

ryclef331

Reaction score
definetly sounds like a charging system issue. Hopefully the battery fixed it for you. You should go through EVERY WIRE you can see under the hood...especially the grounds and make sure they're secure. The beeps you heard were your airbag module. Low voltage to it can set off the "alarm" on it. Thats the SAME alarm you'll hear if your bags ever deploy....

G

GREG@SN95

ryclef331 said:
definetly sounds like a charging system issue. Hopefully the battery fixed it for you. You should go through EVERY WIRE you can see under the hood...especially the grounds and make sure they're secure. The beeps you heard were your airbag module. Low voltage to it can set off the "alarm" on it. Thats the SAME alarm you'll hear if your bags ever deploy....
can low voltage to the AirBags set them off? :noes:

ryclef331

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
ryclef331 said:

NAh...its just a malfunction alarm really as well as a "Hey dumbass, you just wrecked your shit...wake up." alarm....

G

GREG@SN95

ryclef331 said:
GREG@SN95 said:
ryclef331 said:

NAh...its just a malfunction alarm really as well as a "Hey dumbass, you just wrecked your shit...wake up." alarm....

lmao...

Its like, "HA HA! I JUST PUNCHED YOU IN TEH FACE! SUCKER" alarm huh?

Downshift

Reaction score
Pushing your damn pig like a quarter mile up hills and shit was not fun. My throat was feeling better and now its really sore again haha. Hopefully its all good I think it wasnt connected to the Alt or something was up that got fixed when you pulled it all out.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Ok cool i was afraid maybe that beep was like my computer saying hey you just blew me up or somehting lol. Anyways it was all good today im going to go through my wires tomorrow though and make sure they are all good to go.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Ok well i thought it was fixed but i dont think so now. I am pretty sure it is the cable that goes to the back of my alt. Cause it was all black and burnt and shit. So i put on a brass fitting so it can go on the little bolt that it gets threded onto on the back of the alt. I dont know what the fitting is called but it slips over the cable and you crimp it on and it has a hole in the end of it so you can put it on the little post and thread the nut over it to keep it in place. So i did that and wrapped it all in electrical tape. So it has been driving fine and it still is driving fine. But i thought for some reason i shuold check and make sure everything is good on it still. So when i open my hood and look at it i see the tape is starting to melt into a blob. Im not sure why its melting though obviously its the heat is doing it. But is it because the tape is wrapped around the brass fitting and taht fitting is getting hot or what. Im trying to find a new cable but not sure where to look. I need this fixed fast cause the back of my alt is like kind black in a little spot.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Is that one that i have the link to the wire i need though?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online