I got a problem

d_punch

Reaction score
i'll put my money on your stator, or the doohicky in the distributor what ever it's called is starting to go on you. sooner or later it will do it more and more and won't like to start back up as quickly.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
I just relpaced the cap and rotor on my distributer about a year ago. The cable i know is what drained my battery cause as soon as i fixed it my car hasnt not started i just hope nothing is messed up in my wiring cause from that cable getting burnt and shit. So hopefully i will get that new cable in the mail tomorrwo and tuesday and that will be the end of this.

G

GREG@SN95

916_5.0 said:
Is that one that i have the link to the wire i need though?
All you need is a good wire thats not too small... hook on the appropriate ends...

As long as its not too small, and has all its insulation and won't short, it will work

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
I ordered those wires from summit yesterday so hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Today if the car gods like me. lol

Downshift

Reaction score
d_punch said:
i'll put my money on your stator, or the doohicky in the distributor what ever it's called is starting to go on you. sooner or later it will do it more and more and won't like to start back up as quickly.

He might be onto something Ryan. Your car does take like 20 seconds to start up.

ryclef331

Reaction score
first and foremost, you're right, your alternator wire is frying for a reason. Follow that wire...all the way to its other end. I think it runs under the crank. you need to check the entire thing and its insulation to make SURE it isn't grounding out. that will cause it to melt. It shouldn't get that hot. THAT IS A HUGE FIRE HAZARD MY FRIEND! When you replace it, make SURE it isn't going to do it again. My other guess would be the voltage regulator on the alternator shat on you but you said it was a new alternator so I doubt its that. Let us know how the new wire does.

G

GREG@SN95

ryclef331 said:
first and foremost, you're right, your alternator wire is frying for a reason. Follow that wire...all the way to its other end. I think it runs under the crank. you need to check the entire thing and its insulation to make SURE it isn't grounding out. that will cause it to melt. It shouldn't get that hot. THAT IS A HUGE FIRE HAZARD MY FRIEND! When you replace it, make SURE it isn't going to do it again. My other guess would be the voltage regulator on the alternator shat on you but you said it was a new alternator so I doubt its that. Let us know how the new wire does.
+1 one on regulator... I had the same thought...

That may be the reason it melted in the first place... but that should be fixed already

Downshift

Reaction score
Its not a new alt. its a used one off a friends 94 cobra that has quite a bit of miles on it. When this all happend though he pulled it off and took it into autozone to test it and the alt passed all the tests.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
That wire runs over to my fuse box behind my battery. I was thinking of changing my battery cables as well just cause maybe one of those is shot and needs replacing. yeah that alt. i put on was of my friends cobra it passed all the tests at autozone. My car hasnt done anything bad since i retaped that wire and made it so its not touching the side of my alt. The only thing is the tape on the little ring adaptor melts at the part where it touches the metal on that little ring adaptor. But where the tape is on the actual cable were the insulation is nothing is wrong the tape is all fine and stuff so i dont know if it was just that copper ring adaptor i used.

ryclef331

Reaction score
That wire can't touch ANYTHING metal other than the pole on the alternator. If it does, it will ground out and heat up...QUICK.

Downshift

Reaction score
Ryan you need to use your damn camera and post some pics instead of making paragraphs to explain stuff man haha.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah i know i am going to try and do that today, but first i have to return the 60 dollars worth of alt. cables i ordered from summit non of which worked for my car.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Ok i got like 8 pics or so to post up here buti left my camera cable at my dads house so i will have them posted up here tomorrow so ya hopefully they will help.

ryclef331

Reaction score
There is NOTHING special about that alternator wire except for the the part where it splits into two smaller wires to connect to the fuse box. If you want, I have the one I pulled off my car. I'll send it to you for cost of shipping...BUT if you just go get some wire of similar gauge (the same or bigger) put two round terminals on the end and hook it up! It will WORK FINE!

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Thata true but i also am talking about replacing the smaller wires that go along with it because as you will see in the pictures i will post tomorrow the little plastic pieces that clip into the alt. are a bit burnt and blacked so i was thinkin i might as well replace that to just to be safe.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Ok, so my car has been fine for quite a while i thought that my cable problem was fixed. But yesterday i tried to start my car and it was totally dead nothing worked my alarm, dome light, gauge lights they all were dead. So i took off my alt and tht cable was pretty burnt but it was mostly from the tape that was touching that copper terminal i had, so i tried to take off that cable from the alt. but it was like fused onto that post and the whole thing just snapped when i tried to unthread it. SO im trying to find a cable for it but apparently no place carrys them. I went to autzone, Kragen, Ford Auto Wreckers, I called ford and they apparently dont cary them either someway which i find to be kind of odd. But im going to check pick n pull today and thats the only other place i can think of to check. So yeah i have no idea what to do with my car, i dont know if it has a short somewhere or what cause it seems like if it had a short than it would have gotten messed up alot sooner than now cause it had been fine for like 2 months unt
il it was totally dead yesterday. Here are a couple pics.

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
See if you look at the pics of the cable the tape is only burnt up at the part where it was touching the copper, the part where it is touching the cable insulation it is fine. So i was wondering, copper sweats right? So i was wondering if maybe it was creating moisture in there and making it short or something.

S

scarface

to me, it looks like you are shorting out somewhere...and in a bad way.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah those are the words i was afraid of. But if it was a short shouldnt it have acted up before now. Cause when it first did this a few months ago (which was when first made this post) i kind of fixed the cable and it was fine. And it has been fine for about two months and just yesterday my car was dead, so i dont know. Anyone know where i might be shorting at if that is the problem?

S

scarface

it could be a bare wire that bounces off metal somewhere when you hit bumps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online