I got a problem

sykostanger

Reaction score
had a problem a few years ago in my 95, i was driving down the road about 30 and all of a sudden the radio starts coming off and on and then the lights flicker real fast in the interior and the car would surge and then shut off, it turned out it was the battery posts, while i totally agree with checking the componets that everyone else listed, dont over look the cheap little fix.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah i was actually thinking of just replacing the battery cables just because i figure it cant hurt to put new cables on.

G

GREG@SN95

yeah.... you're shorting out somewhere...

Find it... and Fix it... ASAP...

If you're shorting out bad enough to do that, then you got a fire hazard under the hood... fix it

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah i have no idea what might e shorting out, maybe a bad battery cable or something? Maybe the ground that runs to the block? Im not sure you guys have any ideas of what cable might be shorting if thats the case. Also im not sure if this has to do with anything but after i was driving my car for about 45 minutes yesterday, this is after i fixed my cable of course i was just driving around to see if everything was doing ok and it seemed fine the alt was burning that cable or anything and my guage in my car stays right between the R and M and doent move much. Before i did that cable change it was at like N when i was idleing and the R when i would drive so it seems like the new alt and cable and battery seemed to help that out. Anyways the point I was trying to get to was when I was driving around I pulled over in a parking lot to check it all out and make sure things looked good and when i did. My engine was like rediculousl hot when i popped my hood like my prop rod was burning hot and the inside of the fenders were burning hot to i couldnt touch like anything in there but my temp gauge was between the O and the R so it didnt seem very hot. My fan wasnt on either. Today i drove to wrok and around somemore to see how everything was going and the alt and everything seems good nothing burning at all, and my car runs kind of smoother now with that new cable on there. And i drove around for like the same amount of time as i did yesterday but my engine wasnt feeling nearly as warm when i checked it out today.

G

GREG@SN95

ok...

Heres what you have to do... now... do it now... It may not be fun, but its better then the car catching fire...

You need to check, re-check, and double check EVERY wire under the hood... Replace or fix any wire that looks bad...

If the engine Bay was as hot as you say, then you have a very serious problem...

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah it wa strange that it was that hot cause i was driving it around 7 oclock last night and that was when it was that hot. Today i drove home form work and made a few stops and that was around 3 or for and it was a lot hotter outside but my engine wasnt nearly as hot. Like the motor was pretty warm to try and touch but the prop rod, and fender walls and stuff werent nearly as warm i could still touch them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online