I got played by Advanced Auto, Mobil One, and Prestone....

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Alright so I go into Advanced Auto looking for some synthetic oil, a filter, and coolant. After all I've got about 800 miles on the current oil ::). The synthetic is all about $35 for 6 quarts :eek: so I'm like nah, I'll get a blend. Well too bad they are all out of the blend. So I weigh my options of conventional oil and synthetic and went with the synthetic. Then I got suckered into the Mobil One filter which was $10 for a piece of paper in a metal container. :-\ Finally I start looking at the coolant and find out that I need twelve quarts which is 2 gallons of concentrated coolant at $10 a gallon.

Total came to $68. 24.

Oh well, hopefully she'll be all good and maintained for for a few months. Anyone else with experiences like this?

OP
OP
R

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
WyoTechMSA said:
Why did you change your oil after 800 miles?

it's been 4 months since last oil change which was conventional oil. I'm anal when it comes to maintanance (no homo).

OP
OP
R

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
WyoTechMSA said:
WOW, sounds like you played yourself bro

you'd be surprised how dirty oil gets after 4 months with only 800 miles.

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
Youd be surprised how little that matters. Why dont you seafoam your car? It would get alot of that "dirt" out. My cars oil is still clean after 1500+. Also, check out AMSOIL. THey have an engine flush that works WONDERS. THeir products are top quality IMO

OP
OP
R

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
WyoTechMSA said:
Youd be surprised how little that matters. Why dont you seafoam your car? It would get alot of that "dirt" out. My cars oil is still clean after 1500+. Also, check out AMSOIL. THey have an engine flush that works WONDERS. THeir products are top quality IMO

I have heard good things about Amsoil. Have you used their engine flush? And I should probably seafoam my car too.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
im glad im gonna drain all the antifreeze in my car and run water and water wetter...WOOT for florida weather :pimp2:

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i know what ya mean bro, i dropped close to 60 today. over 30 on mobile 1 oil and filter and then some new spark plugs for the tune on wed. i am right there with ya. bout 350 miles on the oil that is in the car right now, but it is almost 5 months old. i am also anal and will change it regardless of what some might say. it's my baby, and babies only deserve the best!!

OP
OP
R

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
ju015dd said:
i know what ya mean bro, i dropped close to 60 today. over 30 on mobile 1 oil and filter and then some new spark plugs for the tune on wed. i am right there with ya. bout 350 miles on the oil that is in the car right now, but it is almost 5 months old. i am also anal and will change it regardless of what some might say. it's my baby, and babies only deserve the best!!

Couldn't have put it better myself. I know my car doesn't have anywhere near what you've got into yours but at 17 I realize how many hours I have put into it both buying it and keeping it nice. At 33,000 miles too it seems like I have to keep it perfect for the good of the whole mustang tradition. :)

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad. I have to change my oil every ten passes. The alcohol breaks down the oil.

OP
OP
R

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
TRUUBLE said:
Don't feel too bad. I have to change my oil every ten passes. The alcohol breaks down the oil.

really? How is the alcohol measured as far as its combustibility or whatever?

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Red96GT said:

No idea. I know it takes significantly more alcohol to produce the same amount of power as gasoline . . . but it burns a lot cooler so you can run really high compression and make more power from the same amount of displacement. Just takes more fuel to do it.

OP
OP
R

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
TRUUBLE said:
Red96GT said:

No idea. I know it takes significantly more alcohol to produce the same amount of power as gasoline . . . but it burns a lot cooler so you can run really high compression and make more power from the same amount of displacement. Just takes more fuel to do it.

Are carburators measured in cfm? If so how big is your carb?

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
next time get motorcraft synthetic blend oil ( i think it is around 30 for a case) and a motorcraft filter. Reasonably priced and great protection. Purolators best filter is also good too.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Red96GT said:
Are carburators measured in cfm? If so how big is your carb?

It's not a carb. It's mechanical fuel injection. But, it flows 1,450 CFM

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
next time get motorcraft synthetic blend oil ( i think it is around 30 for a case) and a motorcraft filter. Reasonably priced and great protection. Purolators best filter is also good too.
i always use motorcraft filters...

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
MeanGrn Gt said:
i always use motorcraft filters...

O0 i was debating switching to fram nex time cuz i hear they are the shit... haha :rollinglaugh:

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
you did good man, what people dont know if when they run a full sythetic with a conventional oil filter they dont know that the oil is good for 6K+ but the filter is still only 3K. Mobil 1 filters are 6K plus

94twinscrew

Reaction score
95KBGT said:
you did good man, what people dont know if when they run a full sythetic with a conventional oil filter they dont know that the oil is good for 6K+ but the filter is still only 3K. Mobil 1 filters are 6K plus

So true.....................Mobil 1 20w50,HPF Mobil 1 or Motorcraft

And I will never use an Amsoil product again in my car even if someone paid me. Their flush is good,but their oils have a bad reaction to engines that have been treated with friction modifiers, the oil turns to sludge within a day. My friend owns a carquest,and after having the same incident with his stang,he sent his whole supply back to Amsoil. Their rep said that it only happens to engines treated with modifiers,but in this day and age of used cars,a warning lable should be present about it's reaction to them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online