I gutted my car, and now it misbehaves on cold startup!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I almost wonder if it isn't a tune problem. The after start enrichment or something could be off.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Could possibly be a sensor issue. If the temp sensor isn't giving the right info then the ECU can't deliver the right fuel and spark. Could be the issue on your cold starts.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Could possibly be a sensor issue. If the temp sensor isn't giving the right info then the ECU can't deliver the right fuel and spark. Could be the issue on your cold starts.

Cold start issue was determined to be simply a bad air filter and dirty MAF sensor. Car has been running its best since then, which was about 120 miles, until now, but I drove it around locally Thursday, and it was back to being fantastic. Cars are machines, not people, but I swear this thing has a mind of its own.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Cold start issue was determined to be simply a bad air filter and dirty MAF sensor. Car has been running its best since then, which was about 120 miles, until now, but I drove it around locally Thursday, and it was back to being fantastic. Cars are machines, not people, but I swear this thing has a mind of its own.

Most definitely. Even my daily does things to get attention occasionally.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Most definitely. Even my daily does things to get attention occasionally.

This car doesn’t need attention. It’s been babied it's entire life, spoiled like crazy. STILL gets plenty of admiration from strangers... ...it’s bright red on bright red. It is both visually and audibly loud. It doesn’t need to do anything to get attention. It just needs to behave.

The day it did this, I was driving down the highway, passing my old community college from two decades ago, reminiscing about the days when I would daily drive it. I thought about how amazing this car was. All the lifetime milestones shared with it. How dependable it would somehow be during the times when we needed it the most. Yes, there were some hiccups, (like this one), but it somehow always knew when it needed to be a reliable car. It’s behavior later that day was just a major slap in the face. Like “how dare you be proud of your accomplishments?! I’m the one who brought you there!” As if I wasn’t already acknowledging that. “I’ll show you!” Attempting to disprove my ride of pride down memory lane.

I think I should share the story of the first time I ever drove it to school in 1998. I was a junior in high school, and still mourning the loss of my previous car, and despite the mustang being a better car, I still hated it! I wasn’t ready to move on and start a new relationship. I had always given rides home to friends, and being new, I introduced it by making fun of its red interior and white top. ...I kept joking about the car that every other person in high school seemed to own (minus those two options), that I told my passengers to watch. “Watch the car blow a tire, just to spite me!” I dropped off everyone, went home, and later that day, was told to go get Sonic, and bring it home. I almost made it to the entrance of the neighborhood, when it blew, not one, but TWO tires to spite me! It’s like “I’m not going to prove you right. I’m just going to inconvenience you to the point where you’ll understand that I run the show, not you!” ...and that’s how it’s been since the day I got it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online