I had to laugh at this

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ah not don't be jealous just go smoke a joint and you will be fine. I remember when they first showed up on ebay that they advertised a little power bump and and mpg but I thought it was like 5-10 hp and the same mpg. I had to go look back to make sure there was not a "123 sold" line in here somewhere. Hopefully that is accurate that they are not selling with as long as this snake oil has been sold but yet as I type this I know there is some dumbass somewhere right now looking at it with amazement as to why not every car has one...

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
In fine print it states the average HP gains are 5 to 15HP and with fuel 1 to 3MPG......seems like reasonable numbers. The key word in the ad, clearly states this is a resistor, where they are tricking the processor into thinking the car is at a different engine temperature or something like that. Funny thing is, ads like this one worked back in the early 1990s and many of these magically boxes and add-on chips like (Hypertech, JET Performance and Superchips) were bought by many F-Body and Mustang owners alike.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
On the same page, though, you can consider most cold air intakes a gimmick boasting the same horsepower and mpg increase. Throttle body spacers and underdrive pulleys are right there, too. Sure, they may add some trivial amount of power or mileage, but nothing noticeable. Your money would be better spent on a treadmill.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
oh man watch out anytime I say the same thing about the UDP's someone ends up as offended pretty quick. I tried pullies and certainly didn't feel any difference power but noticed my wallet was lighter. The only good thing about the UDP's was I got them used and was able to sell them for the same price I paid for them, right afte my alt metled....

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I have had more than a few people adamantly argue about how beneficial cold air intakes are, too. But I am not convinced.

Don't get me wrong, I bought a $300 CAI for my CTS. But I knew full well that it would offer no real performance increase. I just liked the design of the airbox and filter better.

It's like the people who take the screen out of their MAF. My VTEC goes BRAAAAHHHHH! Lame...

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Back when my brother was younger and more naive, he bought one of these "resistors" for his GMC Jimmy and was convinced it was going to be a miracle fix to his rough idle (which actually turned out to be a vacuum leak or something) and he argued with me when I told him it's not going to do anything... well he believed this one would because it was a VARIABLE resistor, in which you can open the box and adjust the potentiometer to change the resistance level... ooooooo

Nothing happened.... it actually made things worse.... we still laugh about it to this day.

JKady

Reaction score
oh man watch out anytime I say the same thing about the UDP's someone ends up as offended pretty quick. I tried pullies and certainly didn't feel any difference power but noticed my wallet was lighter. The only good thing about the UDP's was I got them used and was able to sell them for the same price I paid for them, right afte my alt metled....

Dyno results have shown them to make solid gains, especially for the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.